P3D v4.4 PBR Test - Porsche Carrera GT PBR

Christian Bahr

Interesting thing with the new PBR material assignments in the P3D v4.4

At first I did not know how to bypass the material slots, but then by trying out no longer had an issue. Obviously, high-reflective surfaces benefit most from PBR, preferably planes, helicopters and vehicles etc. However, I have not yet created a plane to test the PBR materials. But I could take a Porsche Carrera GT from my Jena project for testing.

The first thing I noticed, that now also animated objects and also animated objects in the sky like airplanes, zeppelins are reflected in real time, that was not the case I think before.

Important are the material settings in the 3-D model

Please login to display this image.

In 3dsm gives a real-time preview of the set PBR parameters

In the P3D, reflections are now also displayed curved

Not easily visible in the picture, but also the animated Blimp is mirrored in real time on the hood

Animated objects and their sub-animation (wheels) are mirrored

The dynamic lighting can also be rendered in real time

In the last two pictures there is a darkening of the sun remote side. I am not sure if there is a kind of ambient occlusion in the P3D now?!

The opposite side is dark

Who wants to test the Porsche or its new material settings, a short description and installation instructions are included in the zip archive:

P3Dv4.4 - Posche Carrera GT PBR

• 4 months later...

I hope you still working on this Project. Its an amazing vehicle if it wasn't for the lack of a VC it would be up there with the BMW form Hama. Keep the good work

Vor 1 Stunde, ETNWHVAC sagte:

I hope you still working on this Project. Its an amazing vehicle ...

It does not even succeed in simulating raindrops from the windows as programming gauges. And the focus is on the development of sceneries. Thanks for comparing with Hama, but you never know ... 😉

The porsche has been published in the meantime, it is part of the project Jena: Bahrometrix - Jena City

• 7 months later...

Almost a year later to the day and here we are with Aerosoft now sporting a PBR aircraft......

Great modeler info for us painters Christian!   I've painted a few models in flightsim in PBR now, and it is indeed interesting on how P3d renders things....

For the wonderful new A330, I've had to tweak the Green channel on the maps to pull out color variations due to shading....

I applied a gradient shade on the green channel as the gray on Lufthansa blends in with the white too much when viewed at certain sun angles.  This pic shows the effect applied way too much as I was testing the strength of the effect Stefan applied to his model....

Still in the process of adjusting, but its looking better at every pass. :)

So it appears to answer your question the green channel on the texture map is controlling the "shading" effect.

The red channel of course...controls the reflectivity of the surface as seen in bare metal planes.... :)

Here is me playing with the Red channel on the A333. :)

11 minutes ago, steve dra said:

Almost a year later to the day and here we are with Aerosoft now sporting a PBR aircraft......

Great modeler info for us painters Christian!   I've painted a few models in flightsim in PBR now, and it is indeed interesting on how P3d renders things....

For the wonderful new A330, I've had to tweak the Green channel on the maps to pull out color variations due to shading....

I applied a gradient shade on the green channel as the gray on Lufthansa blends in with the white too much when viewed at certain sun angles.  This pic shows the effect applied way too much as I was testing the strength of the effect Stefan applied to his model....

Still in the process of adjusting, but its looking better at every pass. :)

So it appears to answer your question the green channel on the texture map is controlling the "shading" effect.

The red channel of course...controls the reflectivity of the surface as seen in bare metal planes.... :)

Here is me playing with the Red channel on the A333. :)

As I've long said, Steve is a true master at this!

2 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

As I've long said, Steve is a true master at this!

Hehe....the biggest part of being viewed as a "master" is simply just understanding the subject matter Dave. :)

When P3dV4 came out...I spent a LOT of time going over what the new PBR features brought us, and how it would effect the painter's world.

Trust me there is nothing I do that anyone else could if they dove into the literature and played with it until it "clicked" in their brains like I have.

Once I knew what the new implementation of the color channels did within PBR, it was just a matter of playing with them and seeing the result in the sim to ultimately achieve the look we were going for. (In the past we never had to mess with the 3 color channels of the texture maps...only the "Alpha" layer was enabled to slightly alter the "Shinyness" of the texture).

Anyway....much like Simmers practice a CAT III approach to mins...and when done over and over enough...can be described as "masters" as they know all the correct procedures at least...same with the painting world.  Paint enough planes over the years...and you get good enough...or pull the remaining hair out of your head and go slightly insane in the process.  LOL.  Same methodology, same end result...NOTHING influences proficiency more than endless hours of practice. :)

20 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Is the extensive manual we included with the paint kit helpful?

Very helpful Mathijs!

But the one thing everyone has to understand is that the level of detail in the manual is really meant for painters who know the process....it is NOT a tutorial on how to paint. :)

I know some simmers misunderstand this and are disappointed that the manual doesn't teach them to paint.  This level of explanation is not within the scope of what Stefan wrote...and simmers seeking how to paint should always consult the internet and the dozens of youtube tutorials to get them started.

In regards to the manual being helpful, detailed, and instructional in the ways of getting the 2d maps to the 3d model, and especially understanding the new challenges PBR brings to the painting (and modeling) communities...I find this manual one of the...if not THE best source for this info.....Stefan really went over the top on this...literally spilled his brains on it from what I can see! :) 

The more I paint this new Bus and use Stefan's approach to mapping the textures, the more I like it.  In fact...as a "retired" painter....I find myself painting more than I expected...LOL....I wanted to only do Delta for a friend...and Lufthansa because I just love LH and have painted the airline on every model I own....even "fictional" ones on models I hoped the real LH would buy for their Cargo company....

Anyway.....Manual included in the paint kit....two THUMBS UP!

54 minutes ago, steve dra said:

Hehe....the biggest part of being viewed as a "master" is simply just understanding the subject matter Dave.

and... you might learn how to take a well deserved compliment!  ;)  LOL!

You, Holgi and of course Stefan are a great team!

33 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

and... you might learn how to take a well deserved compliment!  ;)  LOL!

You, Holgi and of course Stefan are a great team!

Hehe.....while I appreciate any and all complements Dave...I really want to make sure nobody thinks that being labeled a "master" at anything in the virtual world is an unachievable goal...especially in these days of the internet.

I know some may think that I have some sort of Master's (pun intended) in graphics design and I'm a certified Photoshop artist or something.

Nothing could be further from the truth....the real truth is that I've been doing this a looooong time (hence...a LOT of practice), and have no special skills or abilities anyone reading this doesn't have.

In fact....the time its taken me to achieve the results I have...should actually "disqualify" me from being a master....as many have achieved the same level of "mastery" I have in a far shorter time, LOL.

What I may have that edges me back into the "mastery" label is patience, curiosity and an intense desire to: know how things work, and produce a product I would fly myself. :)

A perfect example:  I have an extreme desire to "master" the PEN tool in Photoshop.  I am woefully inadequate at it (and I mean pitiful at it!!!)...and in the few trips I made to the internet to find out more...none have more increased my knowledge and skill for this one tool than this:

This tutorial, his presentation style, and the game he links you to in the end to "practice, practice, practice" your new skill are unmatched anywhere I could find.....so if you're a painter struggling with the pen tool....you WILL be better with it afterwards and I know some "lightbulbs" will go on..they did in this old brain, hehe.

A lot about becoming a painter from the beginning is knowing your tools, and your canvas...get those skills up 1st before you start learning to paint planes....doing it the other way around will just cause frustration...trust me :)

Its like "I want to learn to make a tire"

Well...what do you know about the Vulcanization process? (hint: it is NOT the study of Mr. Spock)

How about varying rubber compounds?

Tread Design maybe?

How about steel-belting?

Sidewall design?

"Oh I don't know anything about that stuff....I just want to build a tire"

Good luck with that. :)

• 1 month later...
On 22.12.2019 at 19:15, steve dra sagte:

Hehe.....while I appreciate any and all complements Dave...I really want to make sure nobody thinks that being labeled a "master" at anything in the virtual world is an unachievable goal...especially in these days of the internet.

I know some may think that I have some sort of Master's (pun intended) in graphics design and I'm a certified Photoshop artist or something.

Nothing could be further from the truth....the real truth is that I've been doing this a looooong time (hence...a LOT of practice), and have no special skills or abilities anyone reading this doesn't have.

In fact....the time its taken me to achieve the results I have...should actually "disqualify" me from being a master....as many have achieved the same level of "mastery" I have in a far shorter time, LOL.

What I may have that edges me back into the "mastery" label is patience, curiosity and an intense desire to: know how things work, and produce a product I would fly myself. :)

A perfect example:  I have an extreme desire to "master" the PEN tool in Photoshop.  I am woefully inadequate at it (and I mean pitiful at it!!!)...and in the few trips I made to the internet to find out more...none have more increased my knowledge and skill for this one tool than this:

This tutorial, his presentation style, and the game he links you to in the end to "practice, practice, practice" your new skill are unmatched anywhere I could find.....so if you're a painter struggling with the pen tool....you WILL be better with it afterwards and I know some "lightbulbs" will go on..they did in this old brain, hehe.

A lot about becoming a painter from the beginning is knowing your tools, and your canvas...get those skills up 1st before you start learning to paint planes....doing it the other way around will just cause frustration...trust me :)

Its like "I want to learn to make a tire"

Well...what do you know about the Vulcanization process? (hint: it is NOT the study of Mr. Spock)

How about varying rubber compounds?

Tread Design maybe?

How about steel-belting?

Sidewall design?

"Oh I don't know anything about that stuff....I just want to build a tire"

Good luck with that. :)

The last post was a little longer ...

@steve dra

The video with the explanations on how to use the pen tool is very good. I've never used the tool like this 🙂

Your repaints are great!

Best Regards

Christian

21 hours ago, Christian Bahr said:

The last post was a little longer ...

@steve dra

The video with the explanations on how to use the pen tool is very good. I've never used the tool like this 🙂

Your repaints are great!

Best Regards

Christian

Thanks Christian!

Yeah I'm using the pen tool more and more...and its quickly replacing the push and smudge brushes as my favorite tool!   Its actually a tool I should have been using all along for many things I struggled with in the past....glad I finally took the time to learn how to use it. :)

vor 7 Stunden , steve dra sagte:

Hey Christian,

They're all in the Aerosoft library....here is a direct link to my liveries.....

Steve's A330 repaints

I had got lost somewhere at Avsim in the Repaints looking for your paintwork.

Just checked it out. There is even an LTU repaint. Is one of my old favorite paintwork of that time :)

Archived