P3D 4.4 Dark is DARK!

petetech

Hi, couldn't find anything about this anywhere. So basically, is everyone having the same result here? Nighttime is now PITCH BLACK, as it i cant see any switches to get some lights on, in any aircraft. And outside, the buildings are lit, but the floor and aircraft skins are solid black. But the textures are there, because wing lights and logo lights are lighting them up. Its like the dynamic lighting has been switched off or something? 

Try deleting your P3D Shaders and after you boot up P3D turn off HDR.

If it's still dark, you'll need to calibrate your monitors (Google is your friend for this).

Best wishes!

Thanks Dave, Ill give that a go. It does seem like the contrast is all out of wack, but it also seems like they have done something different with the dynamic lighting. Its hard to explain because the night time is supposed to be dark! haha. But its pitch black right next to bright light. 

• Deputy Sheriffs

To add to Dave's good advice, your blown-out highlights, combined with your darkness issue, suggest shader issues. If you have an add-on shader tool, disable it or return it to default settings. If Dave's suggestions don't help, do look around the Avsim forum I sent the link for.

Edit: I looked at your pictures again and realized the blown-out look might be because you used a cell phone or camera to take the pictures. A far better way to send screen shots is to use the built-in tool in P3D (and FSX too). It's the V key, and you'll find the resulting files in your Pictures folder in a P3D folder. In P3Dv4, the default file type I believe is .jpg, if it's not, you can change it in P3D settings.

Thanks Herman, i was going to purchase a shader tool anyway, so i might do that and have a play. But this is default and on a fresh install because i thought the install of the 4.4 might have messed up. 

2 minutes ago, petetech said:

Thanks Herman, i was going to purchase a shader tool anyway, so i might do that and have a play. But this is default and on a fresh install because i thought the install of the 4.4 might have messed up. 

By the way, most flight sim developers (us included) try and dissuade customers from using custom shaders.  They can cause so many problems...  I have all of them (for evaluation) and I don't use them.  I stick with default shaders and everything is terrific!

Thanks again Dave, i think im of the same thinking. The progress being made in P3D is the most exciting its ever been. So i think ill hold off on that for now. I've deleted and rebuilt shaders, reset contrast and other settings. Just waiting for Nvidia drivers update, but i was only 1 version back on that. Its really odd. My landing lights ground illumination are really dim too. 4.3 the lighting was getting really great, if not a little processor hungry. But this, it looks potentially great, as outside at night was never really dark enough. But now, the ambient dark is great, but aprons (in real world) are not pitch black. Its like the light source is lighting up, but there is no "splash".

6 minutes ago, petetech said:

Thanks again Dave, i think im of the same thinking. The progress being made in P3D is the most exciting its ever been. So i think ill hold off on that for now. I've deleted and rebuilt shaders, reset contrast and other settings. Just waiting for Nvidia drivers update, but i was only 1 version back on that. Its really odd. My landing lights ground illumination are really dim too. 4.3 the lighting was getting really great, if not a little processor hungry. But this, it looks potentially great, as outside at night was never really dark enough. But now, the ambient dark is great, but aprons (in real world) are not pitch black. Its like the light source is lighting up, but there is no "splash".

I understand.  We are one of the few aircraft devs who use True Light and Real Glass, and anytime there is a change to the sim or one installs/updates the Airbus Pro then it's best to delete the Shaders folder... because of True Lights and Real Glass.  Anyway, that's the reasoning behind it and why it's likely necessary at this point.

Best wishes!

Thanks for additional information Herman, yes I did use cell phone and don't think it represented what I'm seeing. I'll continue trying some things and then I may add some more screenshot properly 👍 

Notice the silhouette of the AI. They light up normal when they are in my landing light beams. I'm really stumped. Same with the flightdeck. As soon as i put dome on, all the textures are there. I presume you guys have updated to 4.4 and not noticed any difference in lighting?

Please login to display this image.

Please login to display this image.

17 minutes ago, petetech said:

Notice the silhouette of the AI. They light up normal when they are in my landing light beams. I'm really stumped. Same with the flightdeck. As soon as i put dome on, all the textures are there. I presume you guys have updated to 4.4 and not noticed any difference in lighting?

For testing purposes, I only updated the P3Dv4.4 Client.  Lighting is working perfectly for me in the aircraft and payware scenery.

OK, i deleted shades from within the folder instead of the folder itself, ran ccleaner, restarted and it seems to have worked! Thanks for your help, delete thread if you like, it probably wasnt a repeatable thing, Must have had a stubborn error in the shaders. Thanks again for help

2 minutes ago, petetech said:

OK, i deleted shades from within the folder instead of the folder itself, ran ccleaner, restarted and it seems to have worked! Thanks for your help, delete thread if you like, it probably wasnt a repeatable thing, Must have had a stubborn error in the shaders. Thanks again for help

No worries Pete, happy you have it sorted out!

Best wishes for Happy Flights!

Archived