PFPX and AS16 Wind Data

Hi, sorry for my English. I'm trying to figure out how to work with PFPX 1.28.9i OFP winds data, cause I want to use this data with PMDG 737-800 FMC crz wind and descent forecast inputs. AS16 is set to 02.12.2018 12:30Z Custom static mode, airac cycle is 1812 rev1,  atc route is OSTA1A OSTAV N743 MOGRA R972 ATMED R972 REPMU R972 BIBAK .... R972 UBORI R1 KOLET KOLE1Z from UMMS 13 to ULLI 10R, take-off time is 12:40Z. For example ACC at REPMU by OFP is 00.28, FL360 and predicted wind is 266/023. I've flighted this route already several times with this conditions and ACC at this waypoint was 00.28 and wind was 245/016 according to FMC PROG page. If I use AS16 HTTP-Based Weather Information via GetAtmoshere (lat 56.360, lon 29.013, altitudes 36000, timeoffset 2280 [(28 ACC + 10 Taxi) * 60 sec]) then wind result is 249/017 which is much closer to what I've got in sim flight. Am I doing something wrong with PFPX setup? If there is a problem with PFPX will it be fixed in next version?

UMMSULLI-PFPX.pdf

Please login to display this image.

1 hour ago, srcooke said:

PFPX uses the current_wx_snapshot.txt file and not the API from AS, this does not provide forecasting over time.

I think this is unfortunately why using historical weather with PFPX from Activesky is causing the inaccurate winds over oceans - apparently they way/means Activesky gives its data has changed.  Only workaround I have found for these situations is to manually save a weather file each day from within PFPX to plan with if I want to do a flight in the past!  I sent a ticket about it a few weeks ago - whehter or not they will get around to doing something about it one day, I'm not sure.  :)

Cheers,

Rudy

• Deputy Sheriffs

Why don't you just switch ActiveSky to historical weather and switch PFPX to use ActiveSky weather?

That should already do the trick, as ActiveSky will store the historical weather into the "current_wx_snapshot.txt" file which is read by PFPX.

Hello Tom,

The current_wx_snapshot.txt only provides a fixed time and not a forecast of say five hours ahead, this leads to the difference seen in flight or when using the API to look ahead.

Stephen and Tom, that's not quite the full picture, both of you are missing the point :)  Please read this thread to understand the problem properly:

In fact, Tom, you did see the point on the 4th of April, this might jog your memory: :)

In short, current_wx_snapshot.txt no longer provides wind data for all areas.  Hifi changed it.  So you get enormous errors on oceanic flights just using it - nothing to do with forecasting as such.  

Please ask me if you have further questions, and I can explain!

Archived