Aircraft levels out at 10,000ft

airnz515

Hi,

I've done about 10 flights in the A320 over the past 2 or 3 days and each time, after passing 10,000ft, the aircraft levels out and climbs at about 400 fpm (in managed mode). I have to set my own VS to continue climbing.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Your issue statement seems contradictory, because you stated the aircraft "levels out" but that it's also climbing at 400 fpm. If by "leveling out" you meant the pitch is decreased (thus causing a reduction in rate of climb while allowing airspeed to increase), that's absolutely expected behavior. The Airbus, like any aircraft, is speed limited by regulation to 250 knots below 10,000 MSL. As it climbs through that altitude, it increases speed at the expense of a temporary decrease in rate of climb until it reaches an optimal climb speed. It does this by reducing pitch. Then the pitch increases to hold the programed speed while thrust remains constant. Your operating weight obviously has an effect on what the rate of climb performance is as the aircraft goes through this acceleration act.

If you haven't already done so, please fly the complete tutorial flight and check the behavior as the aircraft climbs through 10,000'.

So all airliners (in Autopilot) do this, as 10,000ft is the speed restriction.  As such, the aircraft will nose over to 500fpm climb rate (minimum required climb by ATC under normal operations) and build speed and resume the climb after the commanded speed has been met.  That you're not seeing the climb rate increase tells us that the FMGS is not in the correct mode (unless there was some issue with installation or an update).

If you're certain you're in the correct climb mode, then an uninstall, reinstall and update might be the solution.

Best wishes!

Archived