German Airports 2 Display Problems

UKFlyer

I have a problem with all the new German Airports series. The terminal buildings display correctly, however most outlying buildings flash on and off continuously and appear to follow you around, moving out of sinc with everything else and producing a most unusual effect. Any trees that are present in these areas also display strangely with clouds appearing in front of the trees. The worst offender is the new Dortmund which I had to delete as it is not enjoyable to use at all, Munster and Hannover are not as bad and Cologne and Frankfurt (download version) are pretty much OK with just the odd one or two wandering buildings. The problems existed on my old computer and I am now using a brand new one, alas with the same results. I have FSG 76m terrain, Ultimate Terrain, Ground Environment Pro installed which I would imagine are pretty standard addons that most users of FS9 would have.

PC specs are

Intel Quad core 2.44 mhz

Windows XP media edition

Nvidia 8800GTX 768mb

4 GB ram

I have virtually every other payware airport available, collected over many years and there are no display issues at all with these, therefore, I am at a total loss as to what the problem could be with GA2. Please help! Thank you.

I have the same problem with flashing buildings but only at Dortmund, especially the houses to the side of the main terminal building and at the opposite side of the runway. Have not noticed it at Cologne, Munster, Hannover or Frankfurt.

• 2 weeks later...

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:18 pm Post subject: Dortmund Scenery flashing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have exactly the same problem with flashing scenery but only at Dortmund. The trees close into the terminal areas and buildings / trees on the far side of the airfield flash every 1/2 a second or so, regardless of weather/scenery or aircraft settings. I tried to get a screenie for you but wasn't quick enough!!

Any ideas gratefully received on how to fix it. I haven't tried it in FSX yet, only FS9.1

Best wishes

Nige

Running PIV 3.1, 2gb 533 DDR2, 256mb Radeon 1650 XT.

PC specs are

Intel Quad core 2.44 mhz

Windows XP media edition

Nvidia 8800GTX 768mb

4 GB ram

im guessing it should be intel quad core 2.44 Ghz? not Mhz because if it was no wonder it would be going wierd

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Folks,

I have had a reply from a Mr. A. Brown via e-mail.

I'll put it in quotes below, could you try the suggestion to see if it stops happening on your setups and this will give the developers something to look at.

I had the exact same problem as 'UKFlyer' and the other posters and I tried your suggestion of removing all other 3rd party scenery's. I did this simply by modifying my FS2004 Scenery.cfg file so that the only add on scenery that I had active was Dortmund Airport and the Landclass.

When I restarted FS2004, I found that this did not solve the issue at all. This lead me to conclude that the problem had nothing to do with any other scenery and was in fact inherent to the Dortmund release. I then opened the Scenery Folder for Dortmund airport and the most logical thing I thought to try was to remove all of the 'trees...bgl' files. This worked and completely cured the problem, even with all of my many other 3rd party scenery's reactivated. Of course, I don't have any tress at all as a result, but this is much more favourable than seeing them flicker and dance in and out of the buildings. I suspect that this may cure the problem for others that are experiencing it.

Hi Shaun

I have disabled the trees as Mr Brown suggested and the flickering has now stopped on my set up, is it possible this could be graphic card related I run an ATI Radeon X1950 pro, would be interesting to hear if anyone else with this problem has the same card.

Cheers

• Aerosoft
Same for me as well. The only other thing I discovered is that with the trees enabled but weather set to snow and winter selected there was no flashing. I guess because the winter trees are different?

Best wishes

nige

Are we 101% sure the tree textures are the default textures and not a 3rd party replacement? These have cause similar problems time and time again.

I too have this problem, especially at Dortmund. If you park your aircraft in takeoff pos on rwy 06, and then look at your 10 to 11 oclock, and also at your 1 to 2 oclock, you will see some trees in front of rows of buildings. The trees flash and flicker on and off. I tried all four seasons. The winter isn't as bad, but I think you don't notice it as much since the leaves are not on the trees. The trees themselves still flicker on and off. The only other add on I have is Flight1's Ground Environment Pro in this area. I have FS9 with the update as well.

I did some further testing at EDDV and EDDG. At EDDV, if you go on rwy 27R and look behind you at your 7-8 oclock in spot view, you can see the flickering trees in front of some buildings. At EDDG, on rwy 07, if you look to your 3 oclock at a line of trees, they also flicker and the traffic on the road behind them shows through the trees. Also, if you look at your 2 oclock, at the parking lot behind the terminal, there is a line of trees in front of it that flicker and the cars show up as if the trees are not there, as if they are transparent. FYI

• 3 weeks later...

I have discovered that my problems, at least, were due to a set of reduced size autogen trees that I had installed. Now that I have re-installed the default trees, the display problems have cleared up completely. It has also solved some problems that I was having with other airports such as Flytampa.

Best Regards

Were your add-on trees Garrish Gray's tree set? I have those installed, as they are needed in quite a few of my other freeware addon airports. Just wondering if that is the set you had installed as well, before I delete all of them.

Hi Greg, no Garrish Gray's trees were not the issue, even though they sit in the scenery library they are only used by specific sceneries that call for them, they don't replace any default textures. I had replaced all my default autogen with a reduced size texture set to help with frame rates, but interestingly, having now restored the originals I haven't noticed any impact on performance, and everthing looks so much better!

Best Regards

James