Airbus A319 Pro Speed Question

orbmis

Hello,

Recently purchased the Airbus, and have been going thru my familiarization fairly well. But one issue that I haven’t been able to correct is on takeoff. All is going well, Airbus is climbing out, throttles at the CL detente, auto throttle is active, and holding the 250 limit while climbing to my initial 6000ft altitude point. Prior to reaching 6000ft, I reset my altitude to my desired 24,000 level. At this point, the aircraft begins to accelerate again, and keeps accelerating, all the way to over 320 knots. At this point, I start trying to correct things, but to no avail, other than taking complete manual control of the aircraft.

Hoping if someone could help explain what I’m not doing correctly, and how to properly climb up to my desired altitude.

Thanks for your help!

Mike

Hi Mike,

what is your FMA showing in such a situation?
The FMA tells you what the Airbus is doing, not the position of the levers.

If you for example overrotated and entered TOGA LK mode and the Airbus enters VS mode because you selected the new altitude to late, then you could have created a situation where you will slowly run towards the overspeed.

The FMA will tell you exactly what's going on.

Hi Emanuel,

I do believe FMA is indicating TOGA LK, but from my point, I’m not certain what it should be, nor how it got there. I’ve simply started takeoff, moved the throttles forward (?), pulled stick back and lifted off. It seems auto-throttle kicked in, and along the way FMA advises (white) to go to climb over.

Could you clarify ‘overrotated’? Because I do think I entered into TOGA LK. But I think you may be on to what is happening, but I’m not sure of the correct procedure on this.

Thanks Again,

Mike

The step by step guide explains TOGA LK, basically you pulled the nose up too fast (you should rotate about 2-2.5°/sek which equals one "line" on the ADI per second).

Therefore you got too slow and to counteract it the Airbus applied full thrust and locked it. That's TOGA LK in easy words.
The manual gives you more details.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/22/2018 at 1:52 PM, Emanuel Hagen said:

The step by step guide explains TOGA LK, basically you pulled the nose up too fast (you should rotate about 2-2.5°/sek which equals one "line" on the ADI per second).

Therefore you got too slow and to counteract it the Airbus applied full thrust and locked it. That's TOGA LK in easy words.
The manual gives you more details.

Hi Emanuel,,

As a follow up to this subject, there are instances where turning the autopilot on is triggering the TOGA Lock. I can follow that as the a/c seems to go into a fairly steep climb. Can you provide insight re: at what point/altitude, the autopilot should be switched on. Couldn’t really locate a clear explanation on this from the step-by-step guide.

Even with this difficulty, I’m really starting to like this Airbus!! 

Again,Thanks for your help,

Mike

Archived