P3Dv4 Cologne Bonn - very bad Performance and stutters

winstonwolf

In EDDK i have an very bad Performance . Try all settings in Config Tool. 

I have also Stutters like on no other Airports. 

Is there an Solution for this Problem ? 

My System is an 8086K with 5.2 GHz and an GTX  1080TI 

Thanks 

Michael 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Aerosoft

With that hardware it seems strange to see that fps and it indicates there is something in the scenery your machine does not like. Can you try to pan around to see if there is some part of the scenery that affects your fps so much?

After reading some of the comments I installed the scenery on my second machine (AMD powered, 1070 GPU) and I got more or less the results I was expecting. See the screenshots. Of course this on my development machine that is very clean from other add-ons. But as we are testing the performance of the add-on...

Please login to display this image.

Hello , 

Yes of course - i think the main Problem what we have with the P3Dv4 is today that we have so many Addons for this Sim . For Weather, Clouds, different Aircrafts, Tweaking , Addon Airports , PFPX Immersion Effects for Aircrafts, Reshades & Tomato or PTA , Envtex OrbX Stuff etc. 

No System is like another . And for an normal User i think it is impossible to find out what the behavior is caused by . 

I think my Problem is my 5 year old Monitor. With this Monitor i can only use 60Hz and an Resolution 1920x1080 . But with this Resolution i must use 4xSSAA for no pixelated edges. 

With an 4K Monitor i think it shoulkd be possible to use 4xMSAA with better experiences. 

• Developer

Hi Mathijs,

will try to explain, what the users will mean with "Stutters". That is not a "low" Framerate, it's more a high variation of Frames per Second:

When I go in Slew mode with the airport in view and not moveing, I have with my hardware and setting a very good framerate, not less then with other addons in this size.

The Infos displayed here, based on the following settings in the Prepar3d.cfg:

[SlewTextInfo.3]
Latitude=1,1
Longitude=1,2
Altitude=1,3
Heading=1,4
AirSpeed=1,5
FrameRate=2,1
AverageFramerate=3,1
LockedFrameRate=2,2
HealthPoints=2,3

So you see beside the Framerate also the Average and the Variation.

When I don't move (0 KIAS) the Frames with around 50 Frames/Sec are fine and the Variation of 3.8% is ok too.

But, when I then start moveing forward, the situation changed:

The Frames will be in average not so much different (45 frames per second), but the variation will go up extremly.

The redraw's per second of the screen will be nearly the same, but the delta between each refresh has a high difference.

The visual result (which you can't shown with screenshots) is the smoothness of the movement. It looks like you have only some frames.

This seams to be gernerated only, when the scenery uses a high number of placements for Library Objects (MDL's). In this case it looks like the Sim get's in trouble to calculate the positioning of the objects into the scene.

I have no idea how the engine will calculate the placements, but it looks like as a process runing in the background, maybe once a second.

When it need to long, because of the high number of placements, the refress of the screen is maybe blocked for some milliseconds.

So the frames are refesh the screen within the first part of the second, the second part, no refesh is done. For the user it will look's like short "stopps of movement", and this is called as "Stutters".

The only way I saw in the past is to reduce the count of object placements significant, as the P3D V4 Engine is able to handle very high Poly objects with no impact of frames (different to FSX and older P3D Versions) and the smoothness will be much better.

19 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

With that hardware it seems strange to see that fps and it indicates there is something in the scenery your machine does not like. Can you try to pan around to see if there is some part of the scenery that affects your fps so much?

After reading some of the comments I installed the scenery on my second machine (AMD powered, 1070 GPU) and I got more or less the results I was expecting. See the screenshots. Of course this on my development machine that is very clean from other add-ons. But as we are testing the performance of the add-on...

Hello Mathijs , 

Which P3Dv4 Settings do you use ? 4XMSAA or 4x SSAA ? Which Nvidia Setting do u use ? Have u an 4K Monitor ?

I have no 4K Monitor , therefore i must use 4xSSAA because otherwise i have very bad pixelated edges on the Body of my Aircrafts and on the Scenery . 

Michael 

Mod note: I deleted the copied images from Mathijs' post to keep this thread more compact. No other edits.

• Aerosoft

I use medium to high setting for this airport (because it is so complex and so dense). I run 3440x1440 (but keep in mind that with a modern graphics card resolution is not such an issue as it was before). And 4xMSAA seems to work best for me. 

vor 2 Minuten, Mathijs Kok sagte:

I use medium to high setting for this airport (because it is so complex and so dense). I run 3440x1440 (but keep in mind that with a modern graphics card resolution is not such an issue as it was before). And 4xMSAA seems to work best for me. 

Ok , i think  this is an very critical point . I use 4xSSAA which need more performance . 

I have no 4K Monitor , i run with 1920 x 1080 

Michael 

38 minutes ago, winstonwolf said:

Ok , i think  this is an very critical point . I use 4xSSAA which need more performance . 

I have no 4K Monitor , i run with 1920 x 1080 

But your screen resolution is low for today's standards, so you shouldn't need to worry about using 4xSSAA. Screen resolution can have a major impact on performance still, that did not go away. Check any graphics card benchmark to see the difference between 1080p and 4K. In your case 4xSSAA COULD be an issue if you use an old and slow video card.

Vor 1 Stunde, mburkhard sagte:

But your screen resolution is low for today's standards, so you shouldn't need to worry about using 4xSSAA. Screen resolution can have a major impact on performance still, that did not go away. Check any graphics card benchmark to see the difference between 1080p and 4K. In your case 4xSSAA COULD be an issue if you use an old and slow video card.

Of course ,

but as you can read above - I own an Nvidia GTX1080TI. 

I bought this Card 3 months ago .

But I have stutters . 

2 hours ago, winstonwolf said:

But I have stutters . 

I'm sorry, I was looking to find your hardware specs but didn't see it. Well if you own this card, then your SSAA settings certainly are not the cause for your stutters. Oliver seems to have an explanation for them, so let's hope Jo can fix it.

• Developer
2 hours ago, winstonwolf said:

Of course ,

But I have stutters . 

Only a small note: When you invest money (maybe the 1080 is cheaper now) for a very good performing graphic card, why did you stess yourself with such a "small" screen? 

vor 5 Minuten, OPabst sagte:

Only a small note: When you invest money (maybe the 1080 is cheaper now) for a very good performing graphic card, why did you stess yourself with such a "small" screen? 

Because it works till now 😉

at the moment I look for a new one . 

• Developer
15 minutes ago, data63 said:

just to nail down the reason - try to lower your AA settings, maybe your problem is on a other end

Hi Juergen,

I use MSAA with GSX1080Ti on a 4K 40" Monitor with the same result of stutters as the user here. SSAA is known for issues in combi with dynlights at night results in overall low frames, or did I miss something?

After many flights now to Cologne, I also observe similar problems. When panning around the FPS will flactuate a lot. Could it be for example the amount of cars at the parking area? In specific directions, panning around at the gate can be at times very smooth, however as long as I start taxing, it gets too stuttery everywhere, making the experience very annoying.

I jump in here as I do not have drastically bad performance, but I also observe this abnormal high variation in FPS. For testing a scenery, I always use the R22. In the case of EDDK, I start on helipad 3 (opposite the UPS gates). There, I got solid locked 30FPS. If I take off and fly slightly to the left in the direction of the DHL gates, my FPS stay on 30FPS, then for two, three or four seconds, I see a stutter and the FPS counter drops to 20-22FPS, going back to 30. This phenomenon persists when flying into the direction of the airliner gates. 30FPS in general, then every 10 or 15 seconds, the FPS drop to 20, sometimes below 20 for two, three seconds while the sim is stuttering (more like a staggering flight). I now turned down all eyecandy stuff as I thought it might be related to the animated passengers in the terminal, but the stuttering persists. Interestingly, the stuttering persists as well if I fly away from the airport into the direction of the city centre. Really strange...

Hello , 

So after one Week testing . I can say for me the following . In EDDK i have so many Stutters that this Airport is for me nearly unusable . 

What i have already tried : 

- exchange the LOD Radius File 

- disable FTX Germany North 

- disable other Airports who are nearby ( Justsim EDDL etc ) 

- Try different Settings in P3D Grafik Settings 

- Try different Graphic Drivers 

But on all other Airports i have nearly no stutters . 

I dont konw what i can do now ? 

Michael 

I have similar experience. Initially I had a low fps problem which turned out to be my RAM overclock. However returnign to stock settings, I have expected FPS, but very inconsinstent FPS. It is so unstable that while taxing it stutters all the time. Any clue from the developer would be welcome.

I have an 7700K, GTX1070, 16GB Ram and SSD

This inconsistency is what bothers me most as well. I can sit in my "sightseeing" R22 where ever I want and performance is OK for such a scenery. In many areas with many view directions, my FPS stay at 30 (locked). However, as soon as I start moving around, I get those 2-3 seconds stuttering, where the FPS counters drops to 20 (sometimes below), then back to 30 again for 10 seconds until the next stutter occurs. Annoying. Interesting maybe for the developer: those stutters are also present if I fly away from the scenery in whatever direction (means: no scenery in sight). Until about 4-5nm out, then the stuttering stops. To me, there is something active inside this scenery that overloads my sim but not on a regular basis. Might be some coding mistake somewhere? As others reported, turning down all optons to the minimal settings does not help, so it is an intrinsic bug somewhere...

Archived