[P3Dv4] EDDK professional stuttering

Er!k

Hi Jo Erlend,

Really impressed with your work! However, I experience stuttering at the airport. I did a flight from EHAM to EDDK with the Aerosoft A321, and after landing the taxiing is feeling sluggish. Also when slewing around yoy notice some FPS drops. I have attached my config settings. Any clue what may cause this?

System info
i7 4790k @ 4.4 Ghz

16 GB RAM

Geforce 1080ti

Samsung EVO M2 SSD 500GB (P3D)

Please login to display this image.

• Developer

Same here. This based on the hundreds of object placements, which P3D V4 don't like, but needed to have high detailed objects LOD controlled, so that they reduce the polycount on distance. 

• Developer

Sorry Jo,

your recommand are contra productive for all we see for P3D V4 in the last 2 years and will limit the user for other addons, which will optimized for the need of the new engine.

To be honest I am dissapointed with the performance. Really like all the details put into the scenery, but if have to turn off all slides to Low and all P3D sliders to medium or low to enjoy a flight with the Airbus then all the benefits of this development will be lost. Can something be done to make it more fps friendly please?

vor 3 Minuten, ComSimPilot sagte:

To be honest I am dissapointed with the performance. Really like all the details put into the scenery, but if have to turn off all slides to Low and all P3D sliders to medium or low to enjoy a flight with the Airbus then all the benefits of this development will be lost. Can something be done to make it more fps friendly please? 

I don't understand it at all,
Please post your system data. Thanks and greetings Pat

15 minutes ago, GWI-Berlin said:

I don't understand it at all,
Please post your system data. Thanks and greetings Pat

Ok. My Pc specs:

Intel i7 7700K @ 5.00 Ghz |  Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 | Gigabyte Z170X  Gaming 7 | G.Skill 3600Mhz CL16 TridentZ RGB | Samsung 850 EVO 1TB | WD 6TB Black Caviar | Corsair RM750i | Corsair H100i v2 Hydro |

The FPS is very  unstable and fluctuates between 14-27 fps. On these settings, and ever higher settings I can run other add-ons easily over 30 fps.

Screens:

ok this is very unattractive,
I have all details on the highest level and the same FPS as you but I use the aeroSOFT Airbus. With the PMDG airplanes the FPS are clearly better. Also, my system is not as strong as yours.
The cloud shadows are very peculiar, what has disturbed me a lot and the FPS are moving into the basement. I have deactivated them with me.

Also, my P3Dv4.3 ect runs on an SSD, I think you use a normal hard drive.
or ??

I use an SSD but have my ORBX folder on a hard drive due to size. However this should matter for FPS when everything is loaded and being on the ramp. Actually increasing the settings on the configuration manager does not degrade -or at least significantly- the fps which means that either the scenery itself or something in the scenery eats a lot of FPS. I should also underline again that the fps is not only low, its unstable. It changes dramaticaly from as low as 14 to around 27 I've seen max. Even without panning around. Panning around also has an effect on fluctuating frames. This is not a GA field, it is intended to be used with airliners, so its a necessity that it can operate with smooth fps. Any suggestion will be appreciated as currently I can't use it  with the Airbus.

Jo thank you very much for the reply. I'm happy again :)

Was getting crazy with these fps, so decided to reset my BIOS to default settings (no OC) and bang! I get over 30 fps now with full settings enabled! WOW! I was about to blame you for not optimizing the scenery while in reality we should all give you the first prize in scenery optimization and quality. That was a huge shift and my sincere apologies for the frustration. You've done a top of the top work and I was really worried I won't enjoy it. I'm so glad I was wrong and it was a mistake from my side.

I posted something yesterday in another thread but I think it better fits here:

First of all: Great scenery :-)

However I'm also investigating a low FPS issue. I bought a new PC (i7 8086K overclocked to 5 GHz, GTX1070 with factory overclock) which is a really great machine. Most sceneries run with medium to high settings at 85 FPS with one screen and 35 FPS with 3 screens. I'm still working on it, so not the final settings. But EDDK is an exception, with one screen I've noticed intitally around 45 FPS with one screen and 17 FPS with 3 screens. During the night I have 12 FPS with 3 screens (and dynamic lighting).

I tried different settings in the config tool but it doesn't really matter, it only affects the FPS by a few percent. So like 17 FPS with high settings and 19 FPS with low settings. When I turn the shadows off I get around 35 FPS during day (3 screens, high end settings) which is around the same I get with other (large) sceneries with shadows. During the night maybe from 12 FPS to 17 FPS (with/without shadows).

What I can tell is that the GPU is FPS limiting, my CPU has not much to do (GPU at 99%). That's not normal as I discovered with all other sceneries I have that with a 3 screen setup the CPU is the limiting factor.

Any ideas are welcome.

Chris

I now removed my OC and I have an 1 FPS increase. So nothing to do with my OC.

Chris

Hello together,

I have the some problem with the frames. It's stuttering badly. ORBX installed, but no problems without EDDK. Also the config settings aren't solving this. Frames are the same and the problem is still there. No OC here.

Running the sim also on SSD, WIN10. 

Regards,
Marvin

I have also tried different settings, but no improvement at all. As Oliver indicated it is how the scenery is designed (objects/lod).

• Aerosoft

Gents, keep in mind that this is one of the most dense airports ever released for the sim (meaning the amount of objects per area). That pushes many systems to limits. Now unfortunately P3D has the tendency to work well up to certain level of complexity but when you hit a certain limit the FPS crashes.  Per polygon shown the airport is highly optimized, the issue is that there are a lot of polygons. If you compare this airport with another airport because you think it is badly optimized you need to know how many things are actually drawn.

As always it all depends on settings. We very much believe in tweaking the sim to the FPS. Of course we could make this scenery a lot faster by removing a lot of objects but if you can do the same with your sliders it seems a bad idea. Of course Jo will be able to tweak the files with regards to the feedback from customers (he always done that) but in the end reducing the LODs of objects will not make it faster, just less visually attractive by removing thing from view.

3 hours ago, MTO said:

i7 8700k / WIN10 64bit / Nvidia GTX 1080 /SSD

If it were me, I would monitor my vram usage (I use GPU-Z to do that) while taxiing around the airport.  

Just a thought, but, the regular 1080 cards will have less vram (6 GB typically).  I can easily see a scenario where an extremely complex scenery would push vid mem usage past that.  Someone else in this thread had a brand new 8086 cpu, but they had a 1070 vid card with it.   Same goes for the 1070.  If the card runs out of vram it could cause a stutter as data is being pushed in as fast as it can push out.

Vor 1 Stunde, Mace_RB sagte:

If it were me, I would monitor my vram usage (I use GPU-Z to do that) while taxiing around the airport.  

Just a thought, but, the regular 1080 cards will have less vram (6 GB typically).  I can easily see a scenario where an extremely complex scenery would push vid mem usage past that.  Someone else in this thread had a brand new 8086 cpu, but they had a 1070 vid card with it.   Same goes for the 1070.  If the card runs out of vram it could cause a stutter as data is being pushed in as fast as it can push out.

I'm the one with the 8086K and 1070. I have 8 GB and memory is far away from that border.

3 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Gents, keep in mind that this is one of the most dense airports ever released for the sim (meaning the amount of objects per area). That pushes many systems to limits. Now unfortunately P3D has the tendency to work well up to certain level of complexity but when you hit a certain limit the FPS crashes.  Per polygon shown the airport is highly optimized, the issue is that there are a lot of polygons. If you compare this airport with another airport because you think it is badly optimized you need to know how many things are actually drawn.

As always it all depends on settings. We very much believe in tweaking the sim to the FPS. Of course we could make this scenery a lot faster by removing a lot of objects but if you can do the same with your sliders it seems a bad idea. Of course Jo will be able to tweak the files with regards to the feedback from customers (he always done that) but in the end reducing the LODs of objects will not make it faster, just less visually attractive by removing thing from view.

I have tried the airport with minimum settings, but still the same behaviour unfortunately. 

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I run a 7700K@5.1, 1080TI, and a 43in 4K@30hz and I get smooth performance at EDDK with default settings. Looking at my EVGA Precision XOC, my GPU usage doesn't go above 50% very often and my FPS remains at 30.

vor 11 Stunden , Mathijs Kok sagte:

Mr Kok,
with respect to the developer, I am not satisfied with your answer. I am running a really high system as you can see above but if reducing the sliders isn't working, there is something wrong. In my opinion, it is absolutely wrong to say "we are designing a scenery with so many details that you have to reduce your graphics". Makes no sense, if I am not able to see details with a i7 8700k and a GTX 1080, then you really should think about that. And as this is the only airport in P3D causing stutters, the solution cannot be to reduce anything inside the simulator itself. BUT I even tested that which hasnt brought the solution. EDDK isn't the only and first airport with many details. Look at flightbeam or C7.
Beside that, are you selling the product with those words:
"Mithilfe des mitgelieferten Konfigurationstools lassen sich zahlreiche Optionen an die eigenen Wünsche anpassen, sodass die Performance dieser Szenerie nicht hinter dem hohen Detaillevel zurückbleiben muss."
And this is de facto not correct. Obviously, I have to reduce any sliders (not sure which ones) inside the sim to get this scenery working. Maybe you can write that in your product description next time before giving me that as a answer afterwards when I already spent my 28 euros. 

vor 11 Stunden , Mace_RB sagte:

Thank you for the tip. I tried that, but memory size is 8192MB and 2800MB used. 

Archived