Custom waypoints

Fragged^2

I was flying from ESSA to ESNQ yesterday. I was trying to make a custom waypoint along track with with the Kiruna VOR, KRA and the FMS picked up some other KRA thousands of miles away. When you enter just KRA into the FMS it shows the list of possible waypoints with the closest one at the top. I was doing a simple KRA/-16 for a point 16 nm before the waypoint along the track from previous waypoint.

Edit: The FMS/VNAV was also messed up for the approach into ILS 21 via KRA continuously calculating different altitudes and top of descend. Route: RESN4G RESNA T317 VAGAS VAGA3F done in the A320 with 61000 kg ZFW and 6.9 tons fuel.

1 hour ago, AAC47 said:

Strange ...i flew ESUP-ESNQ with VAGA3F arrival and KRA was loaded in MCDU as pos in the arrival route..

I also had KRA VOR auto-selected with tuning OK

As my route is short why not make a test-run ESUP-ESNQ and see what happens......

The whole STAR can be loaded successfully. This is not the problem. There's an issue though with drawing/calculating the the arrival with the final parts towards final for ILS 21 via KRA, the plane keeps drawing a straight line in vs a 360 loop around one of the last waypoints. This keeps messing up the ToD calculation by +-10 nm.

The problem stated in the topic is with custom waypoints and has nothing unique to do with ESNQ. The problem with custom waypoints comes with the selection of the correct 'base' waypoint for the custom point. The current logic seems to go for the first one in the database, not the closest / correct point.

Why I even wanted to create the custom waypoint for the arrival was the text:

"Intercept KRA R182 inbound, not below 500 until D16.0 KRA, to KRA..."

I didn't notice that the plane already had a point D16 from KRA inbound with the +5000 ft limit. So I tried doing KRA/-16 to get the same result. Though instead of selecting the local KRA waypoint the plane picked up KRA from 3000 nm+ away.

When you insert just KRA or any other waypoint with multiples in the world, the MCDU/FMS gives you the list of possible waypoints, ordered by distance to said waypoint. This doesn't happen with custom waypoints. I have no idea how the real plane works regards to this.

On 10/1/2018 at 8:37 AM, Fragged^2 said:

I was flying from ESSA to ESNQ yesterday. I was trying to make a custom waypoint along track with with the Kiruna VOR, KRA and the FMS picked up some other KRA thousands of miles away. When you enter just KRA into the FMS it shows the list of possible waypoints with the closest one at the top. I was doing a simple KRA/-16 for a point 16 nm before the waypoint along the track from previous waypoint.

hi!

Could you please upload the FMGS.log file? (Please make sure you have the "Logging=1" in FMGS.ini.)

Thanks in advance!

6 hours ago, Choobe said:

hi!

Could you please upload the FMGS.log file? (Please make sure you have the "Logging=1" in FMGS.ini.)

Thanks in advance!

I don't have it anymore for that particular flight, but it's easily reproducible so why would you even need it? 

• Deputy Sheriffs

As the arrival bit is solved I guess the focus remains on the original problem.

See how two problems in one post are not a good idea?

The problem with the list of waypoints that have the same identifier is easy to reproduce so no logs are required I would say. 

On 10/6/2018 at 8:22 AM, Fragged^2 said:

I don't have it anymore for that particular flight, but it's easily reproducible so why would you even need it? 

Okay, will try soon, when I get my sim back working...

• Deputy Sheriffs
On 10/6/2018 at 6:22 AM, Fragged^2 said:

Maybe not in this case, but perhaps so differences between your system behavior shown in the log and the tester's log report can be identified.

So, if I understood you correctly, the problem is with wrong handling of the PD-type (point/distance) points.

I was able to reproduce that, and then made related fixes.

The fix would be available with your next update.

Archived