No exterior light effects

I have a somewhat opposite problem whereas the ground will be lighted appropriately, but nearby terminal buildings and AI aircraft will be completely washed out.  For example:

Taxi lights on:

Please login to display this image.

Taxi lights off:

Airport is KDCA, Drzewiecki Design Washington X.  I took these some time ago and forgot to report it so I don't recall exactly what the version number was, but I still get this on 1.2.1.0.  Model was A320 IAE.

• Aerosoft

That effect is caused by multiple light sources on the same object.  How it looks depends on many things, from the materials of the buildings (looks like in your image it is not a real P3D V4 scenery) to the strength of the lights.

The only way to reduce the effect in THIS specific condition would be the reduce the strength of the taxilights, but that would make them near invisible in other conditions. We spend weeks tweaking this and we believe this is the best possible. You can tweak the light setting in the sim to reduce the effect, it does seem you screen saturates very easily. It also seems you have the taxi and TO light on.  Here is how it looks on my system and I think that is as good as the sim can handle it. In practise it is not really an issue as crew would normally switch of these lights close to the terminal.

TO and TAXO off

TO off, TAXI on

TO and TAXI on

Those look a lot more sensible.  Come to think of it, I don't know if I've done a night flight in the Pro version at a non-payware airport, which explains why this behavior might be a crapshoot.  Turns out the next flight I wanted to do will be a night flight to a default airport so I'll be able to verify at that time.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/3/2018 at 2:57 PM, Mathijs Kok said:

You can tweak the light setting in the sim to reduce the effect,

Hi Mathijs, where exactly in the sim can this be done? 

• 1 month later...

Hi there, Just to say I think selecting "Landing Lights Illuminate Ground" should enable this capability as described, independent of the Dynamic Lighting setting. In the Prepar3d application Lighting config (in both V4.3 and 4.4) these two options were independent - suggesting there shouldn't need to be a dependency upon Dynamic Lighting for Landing Lights to illuminate the ground.

If I recall correctly, prior to P3Dv4.3 deselecting the 'Dynamic Lighting' option automatically disabled the "Landing Lights Illuminate Ground" option. Indicating there had previously been a dependency in earlier versions of P3D4.

It's a bit of a shame given the limited control available (i.e. "all or nothing") for Dynamic Lighting given its significant impact on frame-rates. But then again the ESP platform lags behind X-Plane when it comes to Inherent Night Lighting so I guess there's room for improvement in the underlying P3D4 application, perhaps in relation to PBR adoption in their roadmap.

Cheers,

Chris.

Hi Mathijs, Had a thought about this today...

I was wondering if there might be a workaround - By applying landing & taxi light effect files from the P3Dv3 version of the Airbus package? As these lights illuminated the ground before dynamic lighting was introduced in P3Dv4.

Cheers,

Chris.

Archived