Still problems with the livery manager

Hello, 

Having just bought the A320/21 pack (I already own the first bus package) it is really frustrating to see that there are still major problems with the installing of liveries. Having faced these problems with the A318/19 pack I thought these issues would be sorted by now. 

The first problem is the inability to add any previous liveries. With Mathijs stating that the previous 1400(!) liveries were compatible (see forum post attached below), it is disappointing to see that most of these liveries in fact cannot be used. What's the point in using the same model as previously when the new livery manager cannot be used properly and customers have to manually install old liveries.. 

Furthermore, many of the liveries that have been 'updated' and exist on this forum for the new buses do not work either. A lot of the time the livery manager states that it is unable to install them (1st screenshot).

Please login to display this image.

The second problem is with the few liveries that actually open. When clicking 'install livery' on the pop up screen it doesn't add the livery to the list of liveries. When you go to install the livery again it says it already exists despite not showing in the livery manager or in P3D (2nd screenshot). This is the same problem I had with the A318/19 pack.

With all that said and with the liveries which work, the new Airbus collection is a pleasure to fly with an impressive virtual cockpit and overall performance. I hope these problems can be sorted soon! 

Kind regards,

Aaron

For the old liveries I do this:

1) copy the texture.xxxx folder and readme.txt to the desktop.

2) Update the contents of the texture.xxxx folder as needed per Aerosoft's instructions (delete obsolete night texture for the tail, panel textures, and texture.cfg).

3) Update the readme.txt as needed (model names can be problematic for some variants; let the installed aircraft.cfg be your guide).

4) Create a new zip folder on the desktop and name it after the livery you are installing.

5) Copy the updated texture.xxxx folder and readme.txt into the zip

6) Use the livery manager to install the zip.

7) Profit.

Works consistently and takes just a few minutes. Considering that programming the livery manager to juggle the several different versions of this product that have come out over the past 10 years is probably impossible, the procedure above is your best bet.

Hi Matt, thanks for the suggestion, 

I am resorting to a similar method of manual installation that you outlined for the older liveries. It's the problems with the livery manager even when trying to install the most recent liveries that is the problem. For a product that was developed by a company as great as Aerosoft, I cannot understand why there are still major issues with it even after updates and the release of the A320/21

• Aerosoft

I just installed 25 liveries as a test and of those 19 worked, 4 did not because the livery builder did not follow our guidelines (so it could not be opened, not a lot we can do about that)  and two failed for reasons I still need to figure out. Can you give me an example of a file you could open but could not see?

Maybe it has to do with an issue, I also reported. The numbering of the [FLTSIM.x] in the aircraft.cfg does sometimes fail to count properly. It always has to start with 0 an continue with 1,2,3,..., but is somehow fails to install them correctly, so it may start with 1 instead of 0 or it starts with 0 and continues with 2,3,4,...

That could be the reason why you have this issue and some liveries work and some not. It would also explain why your livery manager says, the livery is already installed but not shown in the sim. I reported this weeks ago, but there seems to be no solution yet. Furthermore the livery manager messes a correct installation completely up with every update that is being installed via the Aerosoft Updater. So there's work to do.

1 hour ago, Aaron1 said:

Hi Matt, thanks for the suggestion, 

I am resorting to a similar method of manual installation that you outlined for the older liveries. It's the problems with the livery manager even when trying to install the most recent liveries that is the problem. For a product that was developed by a company as great as Aerosoft, I cannot understand why there are still major issues with it even after updates and the release of the A320/21

We appreciate the kind words.  If you'll go to the Quality Wings, PMDG, Majestic, Leonardo, Quality Wings or any other airline developer then you'll find post release matters.  People just don't understand how complex the software really is, but the reasons why there are post release matters only starts there.  Everyone in flight sim has a unique setup and different software, there are constant changes to the base sim, we work with small development teams due to the price that we charge (lowest in our community for the complexity of the aircraft), and, well, I could go on and on and on. 

What I'm saying is... this is how it is in our community, and for very good reasons.  If it troubles you my friend, then I suggest waiting about a year after release to purchase complex flight sim software. Otherwise, you can help us out by providing as detailed information on any issue you see and we'll do our best to resolve it.

My very best wishes my friend.

Hello Mathijs and Dave, 

Thank you for your replies and for taking the time to try and solve the problem, I appreciate it and I didn't intend for any hard feelings in my initial post. 

An example of a file that I cannot install which is in the forum area for updated liveries is this one: 

When I try to install it I get this message: 

An example of a livery I am able to open but then doesn't appear in my list is this:

When I click 'Install livery' it doesn't add it to the list. When I try to install it again it displays this: 

I hope that gives you some helpful information. Let me know if you would like me to do any further testing :)

Best wishes,

Aaron

2 hours ago, Aaron1 said:

Hello Mathijs and Dave, 

Thank you for your replies and for taking the time to try and solve the problem, I appreciate it and I didn't intend for any hard feelings in my initial post. 

An example of a file that I cannot install which is in the forum area for updated liveries is this one: 

When I try to install it I get this message: 

An example of a livery I am able to open but then doesn't appear in my list is this:

When I click 'Install livery' it doesn't add it to the list. When I try to install it again it displays this: 

I hope that gives you some helpful information. Let me know if you would like me to do any further testing :)

Best wishes,

Aaron

Aaron,

The problem appears to be that the third party livery you're trying to install has the same aircraft registration number as the one that is already installed.  If you remove the default livery, or change the aircraft registration information in the third party addon livery, it should work just fine.  Let us know?

Best wishes.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1.10.2018 at 21:10, DaveCT2003 sagte:

Aaron,

The problem appears to be that the third party livery you're trying to install has the same aircraft registration number as the one that is already installed.  If you remove the default livery, or change the aircraft registration information in the third party addon livery, it should work just fine.  Let us know?

Best wishes.

Can you see the above pics that the "Download application is down"? When does it come back? Just a random question. Becase ppl cannot download liveries now for near to a month.

I mean this one.

The whole section of the website is down since start of Oct at least

I thank you for the answer and explanation but i have a hard time to understand it, really.

I hope you dont tell us that a developer like Aerosoft, one of the biggest in the market has no way to go rent a server on his own and make the liveries available there? How can you rely on a forum software developer to give us liveries.... Then just find another way, comeon. Yes im aware that it cannot be a random 2.50 EUR per month server with the load you will get but there are many cheap enough ways that dont take a lot of money of your side, nor a lot of work. We are talking about an ftp server that hosts file. Nothing fancy.

Really, everyone who knows me knows that im a very calm person and always (nearly) are on Aerosofts side when it comes to the daily rants but this here is something very very hard for me to follow.... This whole livery thing was already bad right from the start of the Pro version. Yes, a lot of it is on the livery creators hands if he doesnt follow this and that etcetc. But honestly, if it takes you one month to give the people a few simple files to download then im not sure what to say, sorry...

• Deputy Sheriffs

OK, I opened it again although your post was OT.

But TBH you have no clue what you are talking about. It is not only about getting a server, you need the software for downloading it, you need to test it, you need to make it available and so on...

I have also seen such outages at "small" companies driving cloud storage like dropbox and OneDrive. What you attack them with the same approach?

And this ends the discussion. Hopefully the download section will be available again tomorrow.

• Aerosoft
1 hour ago, Senchay said:

you think deleting my topics will make me stop? There are other places to express this, no worries... Your on the way to loose one of a good supporter of yours

Feel free to show everybody that you have little understanding how handling a thousand or more download a day work. To set up a high bandwidth FTP server is easy and cheap. We have 11 of those in fact.  The issue we face is caused by an update of the forum software (11 days ago, not three times as much as you claim). The makers of the software have admitted the issues and have been working with us to solve the issue. The last news we had was this: 

And we can only hope that that is indeed true. The matter is out of our hands. 

The next time we run into an issue like this we will be sure to call upon you to move 30.000 files to another server, index them anew and create an interface so registered forums users can download them. With all legal aspects that come with that, believe me that is these days a major issue, our legal costs have skyrocketed with the new European laws. As you say we are not a small company but even for us this will take a serious amount of time. The chance we would have been able to solve this with a complete new download server in less time then Invision will be able to solve it is rather small. And of course it would be a massive waste of time and money when Invisions solves it.

As Otto said you simply have no idea what is involved. I do not blame you for that, but the tone of your postings is not acceptable. Our server people worked around the clock until we found the issue. As I find you postings unrespectful towards our server staff I will lock your access to the forum. As said feel free to point out how silly we are in other forums. I just respectfully ask you tell the complete story. Just point people to this topic and we'll let the reader decide who is right and who is wrong. 

Archived