Alternative to disabling the virus checker

Bert Laverman

• Deputy Sheriffs

Some stuff might also get installed into your documents folders. 

But in general you are right of course. Configuring exclusions is the proper way to go. 

Now if I only can convince you guys to not use the Documents folder for executables... (See my CRJ forum post) I totally agree with Hans that it helps to put everything in one place, but that is (should be) the folder where add-ons.xml is pointing.

Some applications have started using "C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\company\product" for installation, because it isn't as strictly maintained as "Program Files", so even enterprise users can install stuff there. "...\AppData\Roaming\..." is meant to contain stuff for people using different physical locations with the same account, and its contents are saved on logout and restored on login, so should "travel" with you. "C:\ProgramData" instead is for local stuff that is shared among users, to prevent applications from wanting to put it in "Program Files" with all the security implications that has.

Now where i disagree strongly with Hans for the CRJ/Updater, and some stuff from the Airbus like the fuel planner, is the Documents folder. That it is not strongly policed is no reason to start putting executables there. It is meant for what the name signifies: documents. The Documents folder is part of the user's profile and synchronized with all PC's and laptops the user logs on. Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, and Apple iCloud also backup everything in there to their respective clouds, and from there to any other location the user connects. I ended up with having the fuel planner and AS updater showing up on my laptop before I caught on and disabled it. Having Google Drive happily announce it is going to synchronize all individual files in e.g. "A3XX NavData" and "A3XX Navigraph" is also something you don't want to see.

Please, I gave you guys C:\FS\Aerosoft, so use that. Use the Documents folder for flightplans and such, but not for programs.

Archived