FullHD Monitor size recommendations

Hey there!

I'm about to upgrade from my old 22" monitor to a larger one and wanted to ask for your recommendations.

After long considerations my choice comes down to FullHD (1920x1080), either 24" or 27". Anything larger simply doesn't fit on my curent desk, any higher resolution I feel would simply put to much strain on my current hardware.

Now, I would lean towards the 27", but have heard it said that FullHD on 27" is already somewhat grainy. I have been running my 22" with a 1680x1050 resolution.

What are your experiences with FullHD on 24" or 27" screens, what are your preferences?

Any input is highly appreciated :)

Tanks, Raffael

• Deputy Sheriffs

Well, this is very simple, but most people are not aware of it:

When both screens have a resolution of 1920x1080 it means that the pixel on the 27" screen have to be bigger, to fill the screen. So when you are looking at a 27" screen from the same distance as from a 25" screen, it looks more grainy. But comparable are always only screens from the same vendor using the same panel, what is sometimes very difficult.

vor 41 Minuten, mopperle sagte:

Well, this is very simple, but most people are not aware of it:

When both screens have a resolution of 1920x1080 it means that the pixel on the 27" screen have to be bigger, to fill the screen. So when you are looking at a 27" screen from the same distance as from a 25" screen, it looks more grainy. But comparable are always only screens from the same vendor using the same panel, what is sometimes very difficult.

Thanks for your reply :) I'm aware of the fact that a larger screen with the same resolution means less pixel per inch; I just wanted to get feedback from guys using a 27" at 1920x1080, (or have used both a 24" and a 27") how they like it, if you will.

My choice is the Samsung C24FG73 or its larger brother, the C27FG73;  my understanding is that they use the same panel and differ in size only.

• Deputy Sheriffs

As I assume that an your desk you will have the same distance to the 24" as with the 27", I personally would choose the 24". Perfect would be if you have the chance to see them at a store

• Aerosoft

For sims (and other games) you can't beat widescreen (also known as ultrawide) monitors.  Just look at a screenshot from mine. A lot of simmers use the LG line, they are solid and not too expensive. I now have a flat one but if I would replace it I would go without a doubt to a curved one.

Please login to display this image.

And if you want to go even wider, I'd recommend the Matrox Triplehead2Go Digital Edition. This is kind of a "monitor splitter", so you can have 3 monitors next to each other. Since the Triplehead2Go is connected to only one DVI port on your computer your computer sees these three screens as one very wide screen. However with special software that comes with this device it's also possible to use each screen individually if you prefer that.

I have this device myself and I'm very satisfied about it. My three screens aren't even that big (3x 17"), but I have them mounted to a LX Series Triple Display Lift Stand so I only got one "foot" on my desk. The combination is over a meter wide (110 cm) and slightly curved eventhough the screens are flat but the stand isn't. Alltogether I got a 3840 x 1024 monitor resolution (3x 1280 x 1024).

On 9/28/2018 at 11:20 AM, PatrickZ said:

And if you want to go even wider, I'd recommend the Matrox Triplehead2Go Digital Edition. This is kind of a "monitor splitter", so you can have 3 monitors next to each other. Since the Triplehead2Go is connected to only one DVI port on your computer your computer sees these three screens as one very wide screen. However with special software that comes with this device it's also possible to use each screen individually if you prefer that.

I have this device myself and I'm very satisfied about it. My three screens aren't even that big (3x 17"), but I have them mounted to a LX Series Triple Display Lift Stand so I only got one "foot" on my desk. The combination is over a meter wide (110 cm) and slightly curved eventhough the screens are flat but the stand isn't. Alltogether I got a 3840 x 1024 monitor resolution (3x 1280 x 1024).

Of course with later video cards (anything produced in the past 8 to 10 years) the TripleHead2Go is no longer needed.  AMD and NVIDIA cards do this automatically.

Yesterday I could have said that I no longer know of anyone still using the TripleHead2Go, but since you recommended it I'll assume you're running one. Thanks for messing up my perfect record!  LOL!!!

• 1 year later...

I have now a 27" LG monitor, having moved from an old HP 21". The image is good, but I get a slightly distorted image: this is noticeable mainly in the Airbus 3XX upper panel, where the push buttons are a vertical rectangle instead of a square shape, and the rotary switches appear to be oval. Is there a possible correction? I am running P3Dv4.5.

Regards,

Domingos

21 hours ago, dnunes said:

The image is good, but I get a slightly distorted image: this is noticeable mainly in the Airbus 3XX upper panel, where the push buttons are a vertical rectangle instead of a square shape, and the rotary switches appear to be oval. Is there a possible correction? I am running P3Dv4.5.

This will never happen by design, so something has gone wrong. Have a look here for someone who reported (and evidently fixed) the same problem recently.

Thanks for your replies. Yes, I have set the Wide view aspect ratio as Wide. I have now tried other settings to replicate the ones you have in your setup but the result is just the same.

As for the previous post, I have run the Repair tool but no change was obtained. The vertical deformation I get may be due to limitations of my graphics board (Geforce 970). 

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Domingos

Adding to my previous post, I have found that if I increase the zoom to 0.92 the deformation is barely visible. At a zoom of 1.42 the image is perfect. I am always referring to the upper panel.

Regards,

Domingos

6 hours ago, dnunes said:

Thanks for your replies. Yes, I have set the Wide view aspect ratio as Wide. I have now tried other settings to replicate the ones you have in your setup but the result is just the same.

As for the previous post, I have run the Repair tool but no change was obtained. The vertical deformation I get may be due to limitations of my graphics board (Geforce 970). 

I think we need a picture. Perhaps you are just describing the geometric distortion out at the peripheries of the view. So things at the top and bottom of the screen will stretch up and down, things out at the sides will stretch left and right. This is exacerbated the further out you zoom. The WideviewAspect flag makes no difference except it lets you zoom out further (so you can make it look much worse if you try).

• 2 months later...
  • Deputy Sheriffs

80+ days without further response to the last question.

Because we believe this topic has been answered we have closed it. If you have any more questions feel free to open a new topic.

• Herman locked this topic

Archived