Autothrottle (A/THR) does not disconnect when moving from TO/GA to IDLE

Alpolex

Hey Guys,

I have updated the Aerosoft A320/321 to the newest update tonight.

However, after doing a testflight I have experienced a strange behaviour.

Take-Off in ACE (GCRR) with Thrustlevers in TO/GA position. At this point, the "A/THR" pusbutton illuminates in green on the MCP.

After Take-Off, Gear Up and acceleration I have moved the thrustlevers to Idle. At this point, the "A/THR" button is still illuminated.

When pushing the throttles then forward from idle to a certain powerset, nothing happens. Engines still remain in idle position.

Pushing the "A/THR" button on the MCP enables me to move the throttles again and engines start to respond to actions taken on the thust levers.

So far - from my point of view - this logic is not applicable, or did I do anything wrong?

Normally, from my previous experience while on approach, I do move the thrustlevers when they are on "CL" just back to idle and then to the necessary thrust settings. Worked perfectly before the update.

Besides this - does anybody still have this annoying abrupt sounds which is commencing while taxiing faster than 15-20kts? Sounds like taxiing with 150kts...Is there a hotfix? This kills my mood to fly this aircraft.

And last but not least - when comparing this aircraft to the Captain Sim Boeing 757-200 I have to admit that I am feeling really happy while watching this aircraft and sitting inside. Especially in regards to inside lightning you have done a really great job from my point of view.

Best Regards,

Alexander

The correct procedure is to move the thrust levers to Climb above 1500ft and leave them there until landing.  Remember that this is not the same type of Auto Thrust used in Boeings as the Airbus uses a FADEC, making the thrust levers Mode Selectors when A/TH is on.

5 hours ago, Alpolex said:

Besides this - does anybody still have this annoying abrupt sounds which is commencing while taxiing faster than 15-20kts?

Yes sir, we're aware of it, but I believe it's just been a little lower on the priority list than other issues we've had to fix.

I'm purely guessing, but based on your Boeing 757 comparison, maybe you're a little new to the Airbus?  If so, be sure to take a look at Volume 8 (Weird and Wonderful Logic).  It's only 8 or 9 pages long and will give you a leg up on transitioning from Boeing to Airbus.  There is also a Boeing to Airbus Conversation Guide out there somewhere on the Internet.  I think I have a copy somewhere on my 6 hard drives... I'll give a look and try to find it, and send it your way if you'd like.

Since it doesn't appear anyone has done this yet... Welcome to the Forums my friend!

Best wishes.

Oh, by the way, some terrific documents at Smart Cockpit that you will really love as well.  Just bare in mind that our Bus may different a little from what you read there. I'm not sure if their documentation is for a different block or not, but most of the info is accurate and it's presented in a very good way with lots of interactive diagrams.

Best wishes.

Hi Dave,

I am aware of the Airbus logic, as I am working myself in the aviation biz in commercial ops ;)

My comparison to the Boeing 757 is a hint from my side, that I am really enjoying the style and the environment on this aircraft - but things like those sound bugs, and especially the behaviour of the A/THR logic which is not working appropriate is killing my mood to fly it.

You wrote:

The correct procedure is to move the thrust levers to Climb above 1500ft and leave them there until landing.  Remember that this is not the same type of Auto Thrust used in Boeings as the Airbus uses a FADEC, making the thrust levers Mode Selectors when A/TH is on.

I know this procedure, as I do also have a real GenFam training on this A/C. Nevertheless, while taking-off from GCRR and moving the thrustlevers back from TO/GA to Idle, A/THR should be deactivated and the thrustlevers should lead to an engine thrust movement, while moving between Idle and CL, right? And furthermore, while moving the thrustlever from TO/GA to Idle, A/THR should be deactivated and the A/THR green light on the MCP should de-illuminate, right?

Best Regards,

Alexander

5 minutes ago, Alpolex said:

I know this procedure, as I do also have a real GenFam training on this A/C. Nevertheless, while taking-off from GCRR and moving the thrustlevers back from TO/GA to Idle, A/THR should be deactivated and the thrustlevers should lead to an engine thrust movement, while moving between Idle and CL, right? And furthermore, while moving the thrustlever from TO/GA to Idle, A/THR should be deactivated and the A/THR green light on the MCP should de-illuminate, right?

Best Regards,

Alexander

When A/THR is active, after moving throttle levers to MAN/FLEX/TOGA, moving the thrust levers below CL (climb) will simply limit the maximum commanded thrust to that position - idle. You can move the levers all the way to idle, which means your allowing the autothrottle to command thrust between idle and idle. It will not however disconnect/disable autothrottle. For that you need to hit the disconnect button.

Hi Guys,

When A/THR is active, after moving throttle levers to MAN/FLEX/TOGA, moving the thrust levers below CL (climb) will simply limit the maximum commanded thrust to that position - idle. You can move the levers all the way to idle, which means your allowing the autothrottle to command thrust between idle and idle. It will not however disconnect/disable autothrottle. For that you need to hit the disconnect button.

Thank you "Fragged^2" for your response.

I didnt exactly what you are mentioning but I have now hust spoken to two Airbus Captains from Condor and Lufthansa and they agreed and confirmed, that the behaviour, which I have experienced in Aerosofts Airbus A320/321 Professional, after updating it, is not real, nor corresponding to the system logic. As I do not have access to a current FCOM, I couldnt find the related chapter refering to the autothrust system logic.

Situation

While taking-off and pushing the thrustlevers into "TO/GA" notch, A/THR illuminates on the MCP and the system will automatically increase thrust to TO/GA power setting.

When placing the thrustlevers back to "IDLE" (not FLEX/MCT or CL), the thrustlevers will enable the pilot to select a manual thrust range between IDLE and the "CL" notch.

While doing the same on the Aerosoft Airbus, the engines are stuck on "IDLE" and any thrustlever movement will not result in any action, unless I push the "A/THR" button on the MCP. It was confirmed twice from Airbus captains, that this is not necessary.

Movement of the throttle levers to IDLE and then applying thrust again will result in direct powering up of the engines.

The only difference I know is the following:

A) The aircraft is flying in A/THR "ON" conditions in the "CL" notch - for example during approach. When moving the thrustlevers from "CL" notch back, and not pushing them at least to "IDLE", it will result in engines powering down to IDLE and prompting the EICAS Alert on the Upper SD "Move Thrust Levers to IDLE" or something equivalent. When moving the thrustlevers now to idle, you will gain once again back control over the thrust, and you can set a manual thrust settings as required between IDLE and "CL".

I think, this is now getting a little bit more clear.

DaveCT, could you once again take care regarding this and confirm this?

Best Regards,

Alexander

Thanks Mathijs,

while landing in some minutes in SSH, I will reboot my P3D and do a short take-off test on my A321 and do a small clip (or at least pictures).

Could I upload this anywhere, to show this behaviour better?

Best Regards,

Alexander

Good Afternoon Mathijs and others,

I think the problem was driven due to my null-zone adjustment problem of the X52 Pro Flight System Throttle, which didnt move into Idle.

However, I would love to know if the throttle - after moving out from TO/GA, has to be moved into the IDLE position to disengange the A/THR logic and then moved back again to the manual thrust setting, or if the throttle lever can be directly moved to the intended approx. position of my required thrust setting.

Best Regards,

Alexander

2 hours ago, Alpolex said:

Good Afternoon Mathijs and others,

I think the problem was driven due to my null-zone adjustment problem of the X52 Pro Flight System Throttle, which didnt move into Idle.

However, I would love to know if the throttle - after moving out from TO/GA, has to be moved into the IDLE position to disengange the A/THR logic and then moved back again to the manual thrust setting, or if the throttle lever can be directly moved to the intended approx. position of my required thrust setting.

Best Regards,

Alexander

Alexander,

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner.  The next thing I was going to recommend was to look at your controller axis calibration in P3D - you beat me to it - nice!

Thank you also for understanding that we don't usually know someone's background when trying to help them. Very nice to have you aboard!

Best wishes for Happy Flights my friend!

But this ist not the correct procedure to select MAN Thrust. In TOGA or FLEX you're already in MAN Thrust settings as indicated in the FMA. A/THR is only armend then, not ON. I didn't understand the logic behind your technique. 

Archived