I'm new here and have tons of questions

I have just recently been made aware of flight simulation programs.  I'm interested in the ASK21 glider simulation from Aerosoft.  I've checked my OS and it's plenty fine to run the program.  But I'm of the opinion working from my keyboard and mouse is NOT the way to approach this hobby if realism is my goal...........which it is.  I'm sure the controls, joystick and rudder pedals in this case, are not nearly as complex or expensive as they would be for say a 737 airliner.  But I have no earthly idea what kind of controls to look at to even see if I can afford them. 

Anyone willing to "tuck me under their wing" (pun intended) and help me get started???

The ASK21 isn't the newest product, it was designed for FSX / P3Dv2 only. Both are quite outdated platforms.

Perhaps you'd be interested in the upcoming World of Aircraft: Glider Simulator. This is a stand-alone simulator that also includes the ASK21 and some other gliders.

It's still in development, not released yet. However it does look promising.

As for a yoke and pedals, you can make this as expensive as you want it to be. Surprisingly, the type of aircraft flown doesn't make any difference. You can use the same hardware for a glider and for a jet.

Personally I'd recommend the Saitek Pro Flight yoke and pedals, they're not too expensive and really good. I think they're one of the most used yokes and pedals amongst flight simmers, I've got them myself as well.

Thanks for the quick response, Patrick.  Usually a "first post" sits idle for a couple of days leaving the poster in limbo. :lol:  The program I mentioned was the first one I was made aware of, and just assumed it was new............probably because it was new to me.  Have not heard of the World of Aircraft-Glider Simulator before.  Are there any promo videos of it yet?

Thanks for the recommendations on the yoke and pedals.  I'll check into them to see if they are something I can afford.

Patrick,

the fact that the ASK21 is not a 2018 release does not mean it is a bad product or not recommendable. In fact quite the opposite, as an ex real life ASK21 pilot I can tell you first hand that it is quite remarkable in terms of the flight dynamics and the feel.

Chris, I'd recommend you to start with a "standard" joystick first, for the beginning that will be more than suitable. The Logitech Extreme 3D Pro is quite nice, so is their Attack 3. Both of them I used for quite some time, even though they are in the lower class price segment at about 30€.

They are a good start into the hobby though!

In the end which addons to go for fully depends on your ideas and needs Chris and of course also on which flight simulator you want to use. If you run FSX for example the ASK21 would be a good starter for sure! It is an easy to fly aircraft and used for training in real life in almost any club you can find.

Thanks, Emanuel.  Your input is much appreciated.

A little history:  I had the opportunity to ride in a fixed wing glider back in 1976 above the mountains of Aspen, Colorado.  It really caught my imagination.  In 2008 I earned my Paraglider Pilot's license.  At the time, I was 63 years old.  6 years of flying and a couple of at-launch accidents made me realize at 69 years old I was quickly approaching an age when walking off a mountain and sitting in a chair under a flexible cloth canopy at 3,000 ft AGL was not something I wanted to risk any more.  But as they say, "once you've flown with the birds, your eyes will always seek and yearn for the sky".  I miss flying.............just don't miss the risk. 

I know I'll never be able to afford to pay for a glider pilots license and be able to fly my own, or even afford to join a club.  So the next best thing for a 73 year old Phart is simulated flying...............or at least that's my thought on the subject.  This is why I'm considering getting into this.  I can't seem to quit watching Youtube videos of glider flights.  But I'm on a pretty low fixed income and not quite sure I can afford even the figures I'm seeing for the program and hardware.  Is there a decent market in used hardware?

• Aerosoft

With Hardware you mean the controllers? If so I would not go second hand as they all have a lifespan, After some time they tend to loose precision etc. I would rather go for something low cost like the https://www.aerosoft.com/en/hardware/flight-simulation/joysticks/1229/madcatz-cyborg-v.1-flight-stick?c=833. Many people here in office use that one and they just work fine, reliable and can take some abuse. They have 3 axis, plus throttle and buttons for flaps, gear etc.

It sounds as if you do.  Some forums tend to put down new members because of their lack of knowledge.  That put-down is a real insult.  I appreciate a group that accepts new members as a new "place" to deposit their knowledge.  Sites like that have helped me a lot over the years.  Thanks again.

8 hours ago, Chris C said:

It sounds as if you do.  Some forums tend to put down new members because of their lack of knowledge.  That put-down is a real insult.  I appreciate a group that accepts new members as a new "place" to deposit their knowledge.  Sites like that have helped me a lot over the years.  Thanks again.

People who are "new to it" often give us a new perspective and outlook -- it's nice to see.

A stick like the one mentioned earlier in this thread is relatively inexpensive.  Rudder pedals, if you decide to get them, can be a little more expensive.  But you can have a pretty nice setup even without pedals.  A lot of the sticks allow you to rotate the stick to simulate rudder movements. 

I have a Thrustmaster T16000M and it was about $60.  I'm pretty happy with it.  I use it for everything from helicopters, to an F-22, to an Aerosoft Airbus.

Archived