Takeoff flaps?

GaryMcCl

Hi guys

I've always been using flaps 2 for takeoff, but I'm guessing that's not right? For example, if I'm heavy and have a shorter runway, surely I need to set the flaps to 3 (or 1 if I'm light on a long runway)?  Can someone point out which documentation, or better still where I can just find out this info? 

I'd really appreciate it! Thanks, Gaz

2 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Don't forget we explina all of that in the Step-by-Step manual

Thanks Mathijs, I'll take another look.

Gaz

My latest landing is here - talk about smoke on the runway!! Even though I tried to get it down gently.   As you say, Mathijs, I need to look in that manual to see if it helps.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Do not forget that the touchdown smoke in FS is no real indication of an hard landing. As far as I know it is not even modeled to be scalable. 

13 hours ago, Frank Docter said:

Do not forget that the touchdown smoke in FS is no real indication of an hard landing. As far as I know it is not even modeled to be scalable. 

This is what is worrying me. My latest attempt is below, and I've never seen anything so bad irl. I assumed the tyres need changing after my landings yet I'm pulling back on the joystick and it's taking me a while to get down to the ground from when it calls '5'. So why so much smoke? 

Gaz

2 hours ago, diajohn said:

Don't see any problem with that landing.  Smoke is not relevant

I would have thought the smoke was very important. I never see it when I'm plane-spotting...  This is the best I've done, with a very shallow landing, and I took-off, and on both of those there was a lot of smoke... 

4 hours ago, diajohn said:

Don't see any problem with that landing.  Smoke is not relevant.

... but I don't see so much smoke in the real world :mad:  I feel like it's not letting me land properly, but I've done this before. - Gaz 

3 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Of course, in real life a hard landing will produce more smoke. But the sim just does not simulate that. 

Thanks, Mathijs. I appreciate your help.

Gaz

Hi !!

I've been thinking while doing my own landings in real life.. the sensation I get in every single landing is different .. it even matters how used the tire is, if it has some flat spots etc.

Think of it like this.. The harder you land, the faster the tire spins up and catches up with ground speed. smoke is very heavy but instantly. Soft landing will make the tire take more time to reach terminal ground speed, this means more time squealing along the runway, this would in turn produce less smoke, but more time producing it.

If the tire is new, it is more curved, and less rubber touches the runway when soft landing happens, hence the newer the tire, the softer the landing can be felt. As the tire gets worn out, it flattens, and when coming in contact with runway, more rubber touches the asphalt, and you feel like a soft pull backwards.

Hope I made it simple :D

Archived