Landing came to complete halt on runway

Kwakadilly

I just made a post and after landing I have a new issue that I am not sure where to post, so here we go again....

I landed at DD KSEA 16R and the aircraft came to a complete stop randomly. After touching down, it came to a full stop instantly, then went back to the speed it was at (after disabling thrust reverse), then stopped (with thrust reverse enabled), then went back to normal, before finally becoming completely stuck (thrust reverse did not matter). It sounds like a bad stutter but in fact it is not, the plane came to an instant stop. From 130kts to 0 in less than a second. Thinking the sim froze or something I tried to move my view, and I could. I can interact with the menus, move my view, press buttons, and when I hit slew I can move the plane. Protip: don't press slew with this unless you want to be launched into the sky. 

Nearly every flight I do is into and out of this scenery, I have never gotten stuck until now. Perhaps something about the scenery doesn't work with the plane, or there is some sort of bug, but none the less, it ruined the end of my flight. 

1 hour ago, flynryan692 said:

I just made a post and after landing I have a new issue that I am not sure where to post, so here we go again....

I landed at DD KSEA 16R and the aircraft came to a complete stop randomly. After touching down, it came to a full stop instantly, then went back to the speed it was at (after disabling thrust reverse), then stopped (with thrust reverse enabled), then went back to normal, before finally becoming completely stuck (thrust reverse did not matter). It sounds like a bad stutter but in fact it is not, the plane came to an instant stop. From 130kts to 0 in less than a second. Thinking the sim froze or something I tried to move my view, and I could. I can interact with the menus, move my view, press buttons, and when I hit slew I can move the plane. Protip: don't press slew with this unless you want to be launched into the sky. 

Nearly every flight I do is into and out of this scenery, I have never gotten stuck until now. Perhaps something about the scenery doesn't work with the plane, or there is some sort of bug, but none the less, it ruined the end of my flight. 

Thanks for the report, sorry to hear that you experienced this problem.

Well, what you're reporting is something completely new.  Can you please tell me if you are able to reproduce this problem (same airport, same taxi path, etc.)? If not, then I'd guess it was something like a hardware burp (stalled CPU thread or GPU lane, etc.), especially if your system was running a little hot at the time (during approach, landing and taxi in is the most demanding time for system processing).

If you are able to duplicate the problem:

AS I read your post I too thought of stuttering but I'll take your word for it that is not the problem (being able to pan around was really weird, but your assumption about that it correct).

I'm not sure what you mean about the Thrust Reversers.  Can you please explain this one in more detail for me?

I'm not totally convinced that the scenery isn't the issue, and if you would please send me your taxi route with start and stop points and indicating where you experienced the anomaly then on Monday I will load up and give the taxi a try as well.  If you have our NavDataPro Charts software, you can load up the KSEA ground (taxi) chart, take a screen shot of it, open the screen shot in Paint (or whatever you prefer) and lay out where you started, the taxi route, where you stopped (gate) and where you experienced the issue, and then please PRIVATE MESSAGE it to me. This will help out a great deal!!!  Of course this is only necessary if you are able to duplicate this issue.

So beyond the thrust reversers and scenery then I would lean towards this being a P3D issue or hardware related as I mentioned above, but it's a little too early to say. One thing else that may help guide the troubleshooting here is to remember that the Airbus Pro Fly-By-Wire (and other related functions) is tied to each frame, so if there is anything which stops the frames the aircraft will follow it on down and anytime you get below 18fps in the Airbus you'll experience a wide and deep range of very strange, almost random behavior - and that's not a problem with the software, it's programmed that way intentionally).

Very much looking forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks for the reply!

So, maybe if I walk you through it things will make more sense.

- I flew the ILS 16R at KSEA, scenery is by Dzwekici Designs. It was the return leg on KSEA-KSJC-KSEA, and I did not shut down the sim at KSJC. 

- Upon touch down, I engaged my thrust reverse and sat the nose wheel down, after rolling out a little bit (roughly 130-120kts) everything stopped, my thought was that it was frozen/ a stutter. 

- After a few seconds everything began to move again, reinforcing the thought of a bad stutter

- After a few more feet (now at roughly 100kts or so), it stopped again. Frustrated, I moved my throttles to to see if anything would happen (moved it forward and back, which would disengage reverse) and then it started moving again. I'll note that the gauges responded to the movements, in other words, I could see the engines spool up/down each time I did this throughout this incident.

- It moved a little bit further down the runway, so I applied reverse again, and then it stopped again. I moved the throttle and it began moving down the runway again. 

- After a few more feet down the runway, now roughly 100-80kts, it stopped again. Moving the throttle didn't unlock it, but I could see them moving. I could move my view around with the hat switch, I could interact with the menus at the top of the screen. The sim was not frozen, just the plane. I could not get it to move at all. I was between taxiway J and N, hoping to exit the runway at N. 

- I thought perhaps hitting Y to slew and then hitting it again would fix it, but instead I was launched 6,000 feet in the sky at 500 knots. That was the end of that, I exited the sim.  

I did just now fire up at KPAE and fly over to try it again, all was fine. Perhaps it was just a random glitch? I'll likely do another round trip tomorrow so we'll see if it does it then. 

Yeah, I'm betting it was a stalled core or possibly heat related. If I remember correctly from one of your other posts, you're overclocked and that certainly pushes me towards the heat or core issue.

Anyway, happy it's not repeatable and that you're up and flying! 

Best wishes!

Archived