Hi all, 

I am almost out of FS for 1-2 years and I want to come back. I have several questions about hardware and software:

a) Software:

1. FSX or P3Dv4?

2. P3Dv4 professional or academic? (I just want to do what I did with FSX)

b) Hardware:

1. Processor: i7 7800X LGA2066 3,5-4,0 GHz, i7 8700K LGA1151 3.7-4.7 GHz 12M, or a different and better one? Overclocking is really necessary with such high-end CPUs?

2. Motherboard: MSI X299 GAMING PRO CARBON AC LGA2066 8DDR4 ST6RD GBLAN, ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING LGA1151 USB 3.1 M.2, or a different and better one? 

3. Videocard: ASUS NVIDIA GTX 1080TI ROG STRIX 11GB GDDR5X PCIE3, GIGABYTE NVIDIA GTX 1080TI WATERFORCE XTREME AORUS 11, MSI NVIDIA GTX 1080TI GAMING X 11GB GDDR5X PCIE3, or a different and better one?

4. RAM: 16GB DDR4 4266 2X288 DIMM CL19 1.2V GSKILL TRIDENT Z? One needed or two of these which makes 32GB in total? Any different suggestions?

5. HD: MZ-V7E500BW - M.2 PCIE X4 2280 SAMSUNG 970 EVO 500GB 3500/2500MB to run Windows 10 at 64 bits, SAMSUNG SSD 1TB SATA Serie 850 EVO - mSATA to run FSX/P3D, or any other sugestions?

6. Cooler: which one? Watercooling is probably better?

One thing that I notice reading every forum is: we are still talking about simulators running at 20 or 25 fps with all stuff like Aerosoft, FlyTampa, ORBX, detailed clouds, PMDG 777 or FSLabs 320, AI aicrafts at 75 % or 100 %, scenery details at 100 % and so on.

Is this machine good to run one of those simulators at 30 fps at least and without stutters?

Thanks, 

harpsi 

Definitely P3D v4, FSX is very outdated and there already are several developers who don't support it anymore. For home use the academic license will be good enough, no need for professional.

Only about RAM, for future use I'd recommend 32 GB. For the current add-ons 16 GB will still be enough but they're getting more demanding and you don't want to run out of memory.

P3D v4 doesn't lean as much on the CPU as FSX, in fact it doesn't make much difference. Overclocking isn't needed. There are people running it just fine on an old i5. What you do need is one hell of a video card, that's far more important than the CPU. However all video cards you mention will do the job.

The SSDs you mention will be fine, but if you really want it fast I suggest you look at the next generation NVMe SSDs. The best (but also most expensive) are the Kingston DCP1000 series. A bit cheaper but still very good are the Kingston KC1000 series, I got one myself and I'm very satisfied about it. It's bloody fast!

Thanks.

The problem is when you add everything together. We were discussing this issue about framerates and stutters like 15, 10, 5 years ago... I hope that with this system and everything together doesn't give me problems at least to run it about 30 fps.

1 hour ago, Mathijs Kok said:

You can bring ANY system to it's knees with P3d settings. How many FPS you get depends far more on settings then hardware.

Well, that I know but of course I am taking in account that those settings we always speak are set to 100 % or very near. That's what I am talking about when we discuss fps. If I use default scenery I know that I can achive a lot of fps, but if I use an ORBX or Aerosoft scenery I expect to use all settings at 100 % or near. ;)

It's the same discussion of 10-15 years ago: is there any hardware combination that can run P3Dv4 with all sliders set to 100 %, with detailed sceneries (ORBX, FlyTampa, Aerosoft), clouds (REX), AI aircrafts, complex aircraft (FS Labs, PMDG) and so on? I suspect that maybe the answer is again: No.  :beatcomputer_s:

The discussion about being able to run the sim with everything maxed out is pretty pointless: I suppose that high end systems can do that with a stock Mooney in 99.9% of all situations i 1920x1080 with no other addons installed and no weather.

Now add sceneries and addons and weather and shaders and all that crazy stuff that makes flightsimming fun and addictive, and the answer becomes a solid "are you kiddin me? No friggin' way!" :-)

1 minute ago, darem said:

The discussion about being able to run the sim with everything maxed out is pretty pointless: I suppose that high end systems can do that with a stock Mooney in 99.9% of all situations i 1920x1080 with no other addons installed and no weather.

Now add sceneries and addons and weather and shaders and all that crazy stuff that makes flightsimming fun and addictive, and the answer becomes a solid "are you kiddin me? No friggin' way!" :-)

Indeed that's what I said: probably no hardware is ready for that... the same as 15 years ago. Computers are better but stuff is also more detailed and complex.

1 hour ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Well if the aircraft and other things are compiled with the latest compilers as we did with the A318/A319 professional you would make big gains in FPS.

I am happy with 25-30. The human eye cannot "distinguish" more fps after a certain number. I think even a lower number. I have read something like 17?

vor 6 Stunden , harpsi sagte:

I am happy with 25-30. The human eye cannot "distinguish" more fps after a certain number. I think even a lower number. I have read something like 17?

That's a myth. You can easily spot the difference between 60 and 120 fps.

10 hours ago, darem said:

That's a myth. You can easily spot the difference between 60 and 120 fps.

Have you got any proof for that because it's the first time I hear that. All my life people have been saying above 25 fps the human eye doesn't see the difference anymore. That's what everyone is saying, including me. I can't see the difference either, and believe me when I say I have looked at it.

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 1:50 PM, harpsi said:

Hi all, 

I am almost out of FS for 1-2 years and I want to come back. I have several questions about hardware and software:

a) Software:

1. FSX or P3Dv4?

2. P3Dv4 professional or academic? (I just want to do what I did with FSX)

b) Hardware:

1. Processor: i7 7800X LGA2066 3,5-4,0 GHz, i7 8700K LGA1151 3.7-4.7 GHz 12M, or a different and better one? Overclocking is really necessary with such high-end CPUs?

2. Motherboard: MSI X299 GAMING PRO CARBON AC LGA2066 8DDR4 ST6RD GBLAN, ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING LGA1151 USB 3.1 M.2, or a different and better one? 

3. Videocard: ASUS NVIDIA GTX 1080TI ROG STRIX 11GB GDDR5X PCIE3, GIGABYTE NVIDIA GTX 1080TI WATERFORCE XTREME AORUS 11, MSI NVIDIA GTX 1080TI GAMING X 11GB GDDR5X PCIE3, or a different and better one?

4. RAM: 16GB DDR4 4266 2X288 DIMM CL19 1.2V GSKILL TRIDENT Z? One needed or two of these which makes 32GB in total? Any different suggestions?

5. HD: MZ-V7E500BW - M.2 PCIE X4 2280 SAMSUNG 970 EVO 500GB 3500/2500MB to run Windows 10 at 64 bits, SAMSUNG SSD 1TB SATA Serie 850 EVO - mSATA to run FSX/P3D, or any other sugestions?

6. Cooler: which one? Watercooling is probably better?

One thing that I notice reading every forum is: we are still talking about simulators running at 20 or 25 fps with all stuff like Aerosoft, FlyTampa, ORBX, detailed clouds, PMDG 777 or FSLabs 320, AI aicrafts at 75 % or 100 %, scenery details at 100 % and so on.

Is this machine good to run one of those simulators at 30 fps at least and without stutters?

Thanks, 

harpsi 

I use the P3D v4. x Professional, with which I can do ' some ' things more, with the academic if you only fly to fly, and do not want to get into things deeper, you're left, same as Hardware.

And that my PC is ' Normal '

I5 4690k
32GB Ram 1600
GTX 970
M2 (128Gb) and 2xSSD (970 Gb and 500GB)
ASUS VII Hero Motherboard
ACER G277HL Monitor

Windows 10 Professional 64b

and Prepar3D v 4.3 professional
And many scenarios of Aerosoft, some aircraft and utilities also some scenarios of the USA of other companies, like ADD-ONS

28 minutes ago, Miguel_V said:

I use the P3D v4. x Professional, with which I can do ' some ' things more, with the academic if you only fly to fly, and do not want to get into things deeper, you're left, same as Hardware.

And that my PC is ' Normal '

I5 4690k
32GB Ram 1600
GTX 970
M2 (128Gb) and 2xSSD (970 Gb and 500GB)
ASUS VII Hero Motherboard
ACER G277HL Monitor

Windows 10 Professional 64b

and Prepar3D v 4.3 professional
And many scenarios of Aerosoft, some aircraft and utilities also some scenarios of the USA of other companies, like ADD-ONS

So, if with your "normal" PC you already can fly very good, with a high-end PC you can do a lot more.

But what are the things you can do more with Professional P3D version? I was reading something about it, but I didn't understand quite well the difference between both versions.

22 minutes ago, harpsi said:

So, if with your "normal" PC you already can fly very good, with a high-end PC you can do a lot more.

But what are the things you can do more with Professional P3D version? I was reading something about it, but I didn't understand quite well the difference between both versions.

Enter the following Prepar3D websites and you will surely come out of the doubts

https://www.prepar3d.com/product-overview/prepar3d-license-comparison/

https://www.prepar3d.com/system-requirements/

vor 7 Stunden , PatrickZ sagte:

Have you got any proof for that because it's the first time I hear that. All my life people have been saying above 25 fps the human eye doesn't see the difference anymore. That's what everyone is saying, including me. I can't see the difference either, and believe me when I say I have looked at it.

Certainly I do have proof for that, and it's so simple that I really, really don't know why you question the validity of what I said (and downvoted me?):

First, one that relates to your ability to see differences in situations that are updated more often than 25 times a second:

Look at something that spins with 25 rotations per second.
Then at something with 50, 100, 150 and faster.

Then tell me at which speed you stopped to see a difference.

It's certainly not with 25 revolutions per second.

And here's a technical proof:

It's rather rare that material nowadays is shot with 24 or 25fps. That's only done for a cinematic effect.

And last, but not least:

If 25fps were enough, why having monitors with 60/120/144/240 Hz?

• Deputy Sheriffs

Darem is absolutely correct. And finally there are some more factors to take into account:

the difference between your eyes and your brain: your eyes can catch up to 300 fps, but the brain puts it down to lower numbers and this also depends on additional factors: playing a boring game brings it down to something like 20-25 fps; but when you play a highend egoshooter which lets you get more Adrenalin in your blood, fps can go up to 60-100 fps.

so finally there is no single rule. And when flying low and slow 25/30 fps are enough for sure, but when flying aerobatics in an Extra 300 you might need 50/60 fps

vor 5 Stunden , harpsi sagte:

By the way, to run P3D fast, is there any advantage from the new M.2 HDs?

Always go for an SSD. They are pretty cheap now. And amongst them, go for the cheaper ones. There is not much difference in speed between SATA and M2 unless you move a lot of large files in databases.

Archived