"SPEED, SPEED" on approach

GaryMcCl

Hi

Sometimes, when I'm approaching, I get this announcement in the cockpit going off continuously! It's clearly trying to tell me I have the speed set incorrectly. How I am supposed to be able to tell what speed I should be approaching at?  I simply can't tell if I'm too slow or too fast. The last one I did, my speed was set to 130kts.

Thanks

Gaz

Complicated. However, I am getting the impression that I am approaching too slow, which is a bit of a surprise. I'll try it out, though. 

Thanks, Dave

Gaz

The regular approach speed for an aircraft that size is around 140 kts, although it depends a bit on the weight and flap configuration. With 130 kts you weren't far off, but just a little too slow. At 140 kts you're always more or less good, so I always use that.

54 minutes ago, GaryMcCl said:

Complicated. However, I am getting the impression that I am approaching too slow, which is a bit of a surprise. I'll try it out, though. 

Thanks, Dave

Gaz

It's not really complicated my friend.  You might also want to take a look at all the PFD indicators in the manual, knowing what these are is essential to flying the Airbus and as you'll see there are indications for just the condition that you originally asked about.  Spending some time to learn those indicators will help you immesurably when you face different situations.

I realize that majority of answers you get from me is to look at the documentation, but the only alternative is to learn things piece meal by posting questions here in the forum.  The documentation provides answers immediately.  For instance, I did a Folder PDF search (to search all documents in the Airbus Documentation folder) for "Speed Speed" and wah-la!  The relevant manual and section came right up.  Then I noticed the heading of the section ( LOW ENERGY WARNING ) and I searched for that and it came up in several documents.  Such is the art of searching for information.

To search all the Aerosoft Documents at once simply open the first (or any) document, select Shift-Control-F, identify the documents folder you want to search, enter your term and click on Search and it will search all the Aerosoft Documents at once. 

Best wishes my friend! 

Thanks to both of you!  I've learnt that now - I can see what speed I should be landing at, and when I set that, it's good. As you say, PatrickZ, it's faster than I wass doing before.

Thanks for your help

Gaz

1 hour ago, GaryMcCl said:

Thanks to both of you!  I've learnt that now - I can see what speed I should be landing at, and when I set that, it's good. As you say, PatrickZ, it's faster than I wass doing before.

Thanks for your help

Gaz

Gary,

Are you familiar with the Approach and Landing Speed calculations the Airbus does for you?

I also forgot to mention a great document we provided with the aircraft called "Vol8-Weird and Wonderful Logic", going through that will help turn you into a pro!

Best wishes my friend.

5 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Are you familiar with the Approach and Landing Speed calculations the Airbus does for you?

I also forgot to mention a great document we provided with the aircraft called "Vol8-Weird and Wonderful Logic", going through that will help turn you into a pro!

I didn't know about either of those! I'll have a look through that document! 

Thanks Dave

Gaz

Archived