Abysmal framerates

BradenShep

I recently updated from v3 (no problems) to v4 and now I get very poor performance, to the tune of 2.5-3 FPS. Other aircraft get 60-80, so something is definitely wrong here.

I get an error message "Could not create log file" on startup, and I might have mangled the install. The aircraft didn't show up initially, so I copied the SimObjects and Effects folders from the Airbus install location onto the P3Dv4 folder. Possibly that's a horrible hack and part of my trouble.

Specs: i7 8700 3.2GHz, 16GB DDR4, GTX 1070 Ti

9 minutes ago, BradenShep said:

I recently updated from v3 (no problems) to v4 and now I get very poor performance, to the tune of 2.5-3 FPS. Other aircraft get 60-80, so something is definitely wrong here.

This may be because the shaders.  Please try deleting your P3DV4 Shaders folder.

10 minutes ago, BradenShep said:

I get an error message "Could not create log file" on startup, and I might have mangled the install. The aircraft didn't show up initially, so I copied the SimObjects and Effects folders from the Airbus install location onto the P3Dv4 folder. Possibly that's a horrible hack and part of my trouble.

Could certainly be, however the only time I've seen this is when the sim wasn't run as Admin, there were permissions problems with certain folders, or (and I'm hoping this is it for you) ActiveSky and/or AS Connect had to be updated and/or reinstalled.

Let us know how you make out!

So I deleted ShadersHLSL in my main install directory.

Then I realized that was the wrong thing, restored it, and deleted the %appdata%/Local/Lockheed Martin/Prepar3d v4/shaders directory instead.

Running as administrator I still get the log file warning.

Neither change impacted my framerate, which is hovering around 3.5.

Reading other threads, I tried removing the RealLight and TrueGlass folders (separately and both) from the Airplanes/Aerosoft A319 CFM Professional folder.

Alas, no change. I'm trying a reinstall of P3D and all the rest.

And reinstalling worked. I'm getting ~35 FPS now, which isn't great (especially with FlyInside VR) but it's serviceable. I may fiddle my settings to try to get a smoother experience in VR, but it works!

I wish I could offer a more satisfying or concrete solution than "cross your fingers and try again".

(Speculation: This is a new machine I'm setting up, and I hadn't launched P3D at all when I tried to install the Airbus. Maybe P3D hadn't set up some registry entries and so on, on its first run?)

2 hours ago, BradenShep said:

And reinstalling worked. I'm getting ~35 FPS now, which isn't great (especially with FlyInside VR) but it's serviceable. I may fiddle my settings to try to get a smoother experience in VR, but it works!

I wish I could offer a more satisfying or concrete solution than "cross your fingers and try again".

(Speculation: This is a new machine I'm setting up, and I hadn't launched P3D at all when I tried to install the Airbus. Maybe P3D hadn't set up some registry entries and so on, on its first run?)

Thanks for reporting back!  Very happy to hear you have things sorted out!

Best wishes for Happy Flights!

Archived