MFD Range dial CTD

JerryJet

• Developer

I wish I could tell you. I've been trying to figure this one out for more than a year now, but it only happens to a small number of people and yet there's no hint why it does. I made some changes based on theoretical analysis in the most recent update, but I still have yet to come across that problem myself.

Can you tell me if you use any optimizations or may be tools like ProcessLasso for your P3D?

On ‎28‎.‎02‎.‎2019 at 10:45, Hans Hartmann sagte:

Can you tell me if you use any optimizations or may be tools like ProcessLasso for your P3D?

No idea what that is. So I guess no. The only "global" addons I use are ORBX FTX Global, Vector, OpenLC Europe (in this case), Active Sky 2016, EnvTex + EnvShade and EditVoicePack. Plus in this case the described regional addon of LJLJ.

I will report when I see any connection between this and other events..

• 4 months later...

Still Happens to me, MFD Range past 80 nm, sometimes freezes sim, CTD. Most of the time it's during Cruise or Decent.

It seems like the developers still don't have much idea on how to fix this? Is there not a way to limit it to not go past 80nm, I hear this causes issues in real life too.

• Developer

Correct. I'm still at a range CTD count of two and both times happened more than a year ago. No description or hints have brought me any closer to finding the reason for this problem.

13 hours ago, Hans Hartmann said:

Correct. I'm still at a range CTD count of two and both times happened more than a year ago. No description or hints have brought me any closer to finding the reason for this problem.

All I can say depending how quick you move the Knob around, it seem to want to crash or momentarily (Not Responding) and then it crashes after a minute or less. I have had success with the suggestion of keeping it at or below 80 nm range but sometimes you go too quick, then CTD.

• Developer
vor 52 Minuten, Michel Montreuil sagte:

All I can say depending how quick you move the Knob around, it seem to want to crash or momentarily (Not Responding) and then it crashes after a minute or less. I have had success with the suggestion of keeping it at or below 80 nm range but sometimes you go too quick, then CTD.

I tried this as well, multiple times. Even scrolling the mouse wheel up and down like a madman, but unfortunately nothing happened. I got a new development PC, so I will try again. May be I'm lucky this time.

• Developer
vor 12 Minuten, DaveCT2003 sagte:

I just curious, what version of flight sim was being used in the CTD, and what area of the world was the aircraft when it happened?

Don't start it over again. We've been through all of this several times and it doesn't matter at all.

• Developer
vor 34 Minuten, DaveCT2003 sagte:

I don't see a post where uou asked our customer to run a memory diagnostic. Did that happen offline?

No I didn't, because a) memory faults are really rare and b) the memory requirements of the nearest object lists don't increase just because the range increases. The MFD only shows a subset of those lists. If it was a memory fault, the whole thing would crash even without an MFD range change - when the lists are filled.

Also, there were between 5 and 10 people with this issue who otherwise had no issues at all with their PCs. The chance that they all have faulty RAM is so low, it's almost below zero.

• 2 months later...
  • Developer

One question that might help me to track down the issue: Normally, the MFD only shows airports on the map. Did you enable anything else when you got the crashes? Like navaids or fixes?

It just happened for me twice tonight.

Similar to reports here. Flying in the UK over Wales/South England. Lots of airports displayed on the MFD because I didn't turn them off. The second I changed the range to 40nm, boom, crashed.

On 10/9/2019 at 2:29 AM, Hans Hartmann said:

One question that might help me to track down the issue: Normally, the MFD only shows airports on the map. Did you enable anything else when you got the crashes? Like navaids or fixes?

In my case it was default items (on the MFD map) and using the scrollwheel on the mouse to change the range which caused the CTD. Everything on the mouse, keyboard and yoke is handled by P3D, nothing by FSUIPC or another program.

I also recognized a crash after changing the MFD Map.

Please login to display this image.

That is was I have added to the screen.

It did not happen everytime but sometimes what makes it much more difficult

BTW: Does it help if I change the log level and mini dump?

• Developer

Thanks, JerryJet. I did a longer flight today with almost all MFD data visible and the VNAV window enabled. I changed the range with keys (Ctrl-Minus and Ctrl-Plus) as well as mouse buttons and mouse wheel. But no CTD 😞

I have a lot of test flights coming up in the next weeks. I'll keep trying to make it crash.

On 10/10/2019 at 3:53 AM, Hans Hartmann said:

But you only had the airports on display, nothing else (VOR, NDB etc.)?

I don't think so... I'll play with it a little. I have a few days off this week hopefully, so I might have some time to troubleshoot a bit.

I think I had the VNAV window on and ARPT on... MAYBE had HI/LO NAVAIDs on because I was outbound around FL190

Archived