MFD Range dial CTD

JerryJet

Win10-64, P3Dv4.3, CRJ1.2.2.0

Seems the MFD Range goes as high as the 40-80 nm scale. If I mistakenly try to go above this limit P3D becomes "Not Responding" followed by a CTD. Repeatable. Sometimes I rotate the mouse wheel in the wrong direction when I want to lower the scale. I wonder if it's possible to trap the error before the CTD?

During descent. I`m going from the 40- 80 nm scale to something closer like 5-10nm to see the waypoints. Occasionally I spin the wrong way and get the  CTD. 

Certain locations then as it's happened on more than one different flightplan. But always after TOD when I mistakenly turn the MFD Range dial up past the 40-80nm scale. Most recent flightplan was:

KIAG YULUC BUF ETG BRV HCM KRIC. CRJ700 @ FL310. Crash to desktop happened after TOD, somewhere before HCM on this route.

I really doubt this is location specific as the CTD happens immediately after trying to go higher than the 40-80nm scale on the Captain's MFD. Co-pilot's PFD and MFD are turned off via Dave if that matters.

• 1 month later...
  • Developer

This is still a mystery to me. There seems to be no way to reproduce this - and I'm flying the CRJ a lot and should have come across it by accident.

Question: Do you use the knob or the keyboard shortcuts (Ctrl + and Ctrl -) to change the range?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It happened again mid-flight

Win7 SP1

FSX SP2

Experimental 1.2.2.3

CTD after using mouse wheel to adjust MFD range dial

I don't if the Windows Event viewer report would help.

i think I dialed above 80nm

• 2 weeks later...
  • Developer

I still can't reproduce the issue (10 minutes of rapidly changing ranges with the mouse wheel, mouse buttons and keyboard shortcuts didn't cause a CTD here).

However, I looked through the code and found a few places where I could make reinforcements for better multi-threading stability. This change will be available with the next update (around mid January).

• 3 weeks later...

Ive installed the latest update and I can sadly confirm that this does still indeed crash the SIM to desktop.

It seems to be the same issue as the other user. Its a frustrating one once you have spent the last hour getting to your destination only to CTD a few miles out.

• Developer

I'm really out of ideas regarding this one. I couldn't reproduce this issue even one in more than a year that I've been looking for it. I assumed a multithreading issue, but that's now absolutely failproof. I use the range knob all the time without any problem. May be I'm looking at the wrong place. I really don't know. Sorry.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Developer
On 19.1.2019 at 18:41, maxhades sagte:

Same here today with latest update. Before no problem.

vor 11 Stunden , SLKVP sagte:

Fixed for me.

This leaves me puzzled....

@SLKVP Did you reinstall your system or is it in the same state as before, just with the new CRJ version?

• 3 weeks later...

Same here, unfortunately. P3D v4.4, almost fresh Win 10 install

After the latest update to v1.2.3.0, I can at least enter or load the flightplan, but as soon as I change the range of the ND - CTD. I'm using Navigraph data cycle 1813. Still couldn't manage to at least take off without a CTD before.

Happened in Ljubljana on the ground in the -700 after all the other flight preperations have been done (scenery by RFSceneryBuilding, for the case that it matters).

19 minutes ago, BudSpencer said:

Same here, unfortunately. P3D v4.4, almost fresh Win 10 install

After the latest update to v1.2.3.0, I can at least enter or load the flightplan, but as soon as I change the range of the ND - CTD. I'm using Navigraph data cycle 1813. Still couldn't manage to at least take off without a CTD before.

Happened in Ljubljana on the ground in the -700 after all the other flight preperations have been done (scenery by RFSceneryBuilding, for the case that it matters).

I made another flight in the CRJ9 yesterday and didn't have this problem.

I don't know if this might cause this issue, but to get the ball rolling let me ask if you've installed any updates for FSX/P3D Global (updating the NavData in the Sim itself rather than NavData for a particular aircraft) such as AeroData, Sors, etc.?

The the answer to the paragraph above is negative and you have a Navigraph subscription I would try deleting the CRJ AIRAC data and then reinstalling. The AIRAC data can be found in the C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Ecosystem\aerosoft\Digital Aviation CRJ\NavData folder.

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

vor 17 Stunden , DaveCT2003 sagte:

I don't know if this might cause this issue, but to get the ball rolling let me ask if you've installed any updates for FSX/P3D Global (updating the NavData in the Sim itself rather than NavData for a particular aircraft) such as AeroData, Sors, etc.?

No, I only updated the Navdata for particular aircraft via Navigraph FMS data manager. I didn't do so since the end of 2018 because their charts always seem to be older than their Nav data and I wanted to "align" them a bit more.

vor 17 Stunden , DaveCT2003 sagte:

The the answer to the paragraph above is negative and you have a Navigraph subscription I would try deleting the CRJ AIRAC data and then reinstalling. The AIRAC data can be found in the C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Ecosystem\aerosoft\Digital Aviation CRJ\NavData folder.

Looking forward to hearing back from you! 

OK, I'm gonna try that and report back.

• Developer
vor 2 Stunden , BudSpencer sagte:

OK, I'm gonna try that and report back.

Don't. It's pointless. There's really zero relation between the navdata and the range CTD. If the navdata was corrupt, then the CRJ would crash on loading the navdata, which happens while the aircraft is loaded. All navdata is validated during that process, so a crash due to wrong or corrupted data can be ruled out.

1 hour ago, Hans Hartmann said:

Don't. It's pointless. There's really zero relation between the navdata and the range CTD. If the navdata was corrupt, then the CRJ would crash on loading the navdata, which happens while the aircraft is loaded. All navdata is validated during that process, so a crash due to wrong or corrupted data can be ruled out.

My thoughts are the data displayed on the NavData, and if the data was corrupt....  but I agree it's a long shot.

vor 6 Stunden , Hans Hartmann sagte:

OK, but what else could I try? I've got no idea what direction I should search. Graphic settings maybe? However after the latest similar CTDs all I could do was wait for the next update - which evenetually helped in most cases.

Archived