Massive FPS drop at SimWings Heathrow with Stuttering

Firstly, many thanks to the Aerosoft team for adding this aircraft for the P3D v4 application.

When I load the A319 at the default scenario airfield, the framerates look promising at around 40-50fps. However, when I load the aircraft at Heathrow using the SimWings scenery, a massive drop of up to 25fps occurs, down to about 20fps maximum. This is worsened when using the FSiPanel 2017 tool to practice a landing when the experience is more of a slideshow than a more fluid, less stutter response.

To compound this issue, I also note that the fps is extremely unstable, occasionally dropping down to 8-9 fps then increasing to 20 fps very repetitively.

I own a rather modest system with an i7 875K processor (turbo boost to 3.6GHz) and a 1070 graphics card with 8GB memory (and I must stress that I can ill-afford anything better at the present time).

Other high-end aircraft may suffer some fps loss at Heathrow with such scenery, but only of the order of perhaps 10fps, not the staggering 25fps which I get with the Airbus A319 Pro. Also, the other high-end aircraft behave differently offering a very fluid and stutter-free experience.

If anyone would like to comment on my experience and why I am having these issues then please let me know. What are your framerate losses at Heathrow with the SimWings scenery? I may be operating at the minimum spec for the complexity of the aircraft modelling/scenery in this example, but the fact that other high-end aircraft cope amicably does hint at something wrong somewhere which may not be setup correctly for the A319 Pro (by the way, I have unchecked the box in the Configurator drawing resources away from the CPU to the GPU).

• Aerosoft

The hardware seems more than good enough and while Heathrow does take it's frames I do not see the huge drop as you see. Basically what can happen is that you are close to the limit of something (for example the simconnect interfaces) and that when only adding a bit more load a large effect can be seen. Most certainly AI traffic and complex weather can have effects like this. 

I don't think you have an issue, just asking too much of the system. 

Right, some reporting back to do. I have regained some credibility in the product by unchecking ORBX FTX England completely (which regains up to 10fps). If anyone knows how to tweak ORBX to improve this situation other than taking such measures then let me know. The resulting performance in P3D is very smooth with no stutters (and a happy customer indeed).

But the sticking point for me is the very erratic frame rates ranging from a low of 17fps to a high of 32-34fps. I might not expect that with other high-end aircraft that quite a large fluctuation (which could result in stutters) exists.

Any thoughts here are most welcome, please.

• Aerosoft

The variable framerate is something we know about and it is simply caused by the many things we do on a frame by frame base because that is so efficient. Now we could probably stabilize it artificially but that would drop the framerate somewhat and it seems to makes no sense. We rather let the sim run as fast as possible and use the complete resources of the computer. As long at it stays over 16 or 17 all will be well.

Archived