From 9 fps to 30+ fps

N697DT

I took up the suggestions recently on here to upgrade my GPU.  I went from a Geforce 640 GT to a Geforce 1050Ti.  All the difference in the world.  I have my fps limiter at 30, and it usually is pegging that unless I'm at a payware airport with payware aircraft in bad weather and it may drop a little.  The Aerosoft 318/319 is much more enjoyable to fly now that I know how P3D V4.3 uses resources and uses them so much better than FSX relying so heavily on the CPU.  Yes!!

• Deputy Sheriffs

Another hint: do not limit the fps! Do this only when the fluctuation is too high between min and max. Those values can be displayed in P3D in the textinfo lines (Pressing Shift-Z multiple times to get the relevant lines) You have to change some values in the prepar3d.cfg. Unfortunately I am not at my sim Pc, so I cant tell you details, but you can google for it.

Wrong, unlimited FPS leads to delayed or even no autogen loading when using anything higher than medium for autogen drawing distance as Rob Ainscough has finally and unmistakenly proven, see his vids on YT or avsim. So, with the 30 FPS limit, you will have better results in the long term.

• Aerosoft

I am not sure what you mean with 'in the long run' but we did extensive work on testing this and on a few machines we did see a benefit of a locked FPS (but only when it is unlocked at 80+), on all others we simply could not find any problems. The processes that handle things that run on the background simply did not get more resources on a modern machine with at least 4 cores. 

Everybody should set their system up as they want,  but tate anything you read that is based on what happened on one machine that is not your own with a lot of scepticism. 

Well, considering the amount of users sharing their issues with delayed or complete absent autogen loading in both avsim and LM forums, I would not consider this an issue limited to some specific hardware combinations. The problem with this issue is, that obviously many flightsimming guys never do longer range flights from A to B but rather stick to a certain region for their flying and as such you will never observe the issue. But exactly for the purpose of planes such as the A32x, short to medium haul flights, you should be aware of this annoying "bug".

I bet quiet a lot that using unlimited FPS, rather high settings PLUS autogen draw distance above "medium", everybody will observe delayed autogen loading as soon as the flight lasts longer than 10-20 minutes into one direction. As Rob was even able to reproduce this "bug" with a blank Prepar3d v4.2 and v4.3 installation (using no addons at all), it seems obvious to me that this is an intrinsic issue.

Of course, if you turn down your settings as such that you have around 60, 80 or even more FPS, you might not notice this (because for those FPS numbers, you have for sure no high autogen settings). It might be, that the topic starter has to run so low settings due to his hardware limits, that he might also not suffer from this "bug". So, for this you might be right :-)

Yes, unlimited FPS target in P3D 4.3 is a recipe for disaster with Autogen and blurries over a mid range flight. it seems that 4.3 has introduced this issue.

I can confirm Robs findings. As everyone else on that Avsim thread is also doing.

I've found that my best combination is unlimited in-game and limited to 30.5 in NVI.

I've checked all other combinations and they either led me to lower fps or major stutters.

I am using FFTF Dynamic to eliminate the blurries and as long as I set the AG draw distance to medium I don't get the popping AG.

On 8/16/2018 at 3:47 AM, Shomron said:

I've found that my best combination is unlimited in-game and limited to 30.5 in NVI.

I've checked all other combinations and they either led me to lower fps or major stutters.

Oddly enough, me too, at least with 4.3.

What are your system specs?

Mine are 8700K @ 5.0 ghz, 1080ti, 32 gb 3200 mem, a pair of M.2 SSD's, and a monitor that only does 60 mhz refresh.  Right now I have HT enabled, but I may play around with disabling it.  Problem is, my rig runs so smoothly with NVI at 30.5, that I don't want to mess with perfection.

13 hours ago, Mace_RB said:

Oddly enough, me too, at least with 4.3.

What are your system specs?

Mine are 8700K @ 5.0 ghz, 1080ti, 32 gb 3200 mem, a pair of M.2 SSD's, and a monitor that only does 60 mhz refresh.  Right now I have HT enabled, but I may play around with disabling it.  Problem is, my rig runs so smoothly with NVI at 30.5, that I don't want to mess with perfection.

[OS: Win 7 64bit, CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K, GPU: Nvidia GTX970 4GB, RAM: Kingston 16GB, SSD: Samsung 850 500GB]

Since this post I have even managed to get better performance by assigning all addons to cores 1-3 (leaving core 0 for P3D only)

1 hour ago, Mathijs Kok said:

It would be seriously amazing if you would get good results with the sim running on one core. But if that works best for you, by all means keep it like that. 

Absolutely not :D what I mean is that I assign addons to use cores 1-3 to not interfere with core 0 being used by P3D. P3D is assigned still to use all 4 cores (0, and 1-3 along with the addons)

8 hours ago, Shomron said:

Absolutely not :D what I mean is that I assign addons to use cores 1-3 to not interfere with core 0 being used by P3D. P3D is assigned still to use all 4 cores (0, and 1-3 along with the addons)

Are you using Process Lasso to do that?

And as for the Aerosoft Bus -- can I assign my coffee to Cores 3-6?   :)

On 8/24/2018 at 1:23 AM, Mace_RB said:

Are you using Process Lasso to do that?

And as for the Aerosoft Bus -- can I assign my coffee to Cores 3-6?   :)

I am doing it manually via the task manager.

Good amount of cores for the coffee should come out good

18 hours ago, Shomron said:

I am doing it manually via the task manager.

Good amount of cores for the coffee should come out good

Could you be kind enough to let us know how to do this. Would be really useful.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2018 at 3:58 AM, Shivam3005 said:

Could you be kind enough to let us know how to do this. Would be really useful.

In the task manager right click the relevant add on process --> go to affinity --> un-check all cores besides core 0

Launch the sim.

Unfortunately this needs to be done every time you start the add on...

17 hours ago, Shomron said:

In the task manager right click the relevant add on process --> go to affinity --> un-check all cores besides core 0

Launch the sim.

Unfortunately this needs to be done every time you start the add on...

Does process lasso do it once and I don't have to do it each time? Never used it.

On 8/12/2018 at 7:25 AM, mopperle said:

Another hint: do not limit the fps!

This is bad advice if you have a high refresh rate monitor.   Games like P3D don't translate well to these types of displays because there's no way to achieve a high enough frame rate in the sim to avoid tearing and other graphical glitches.   It's the reason vsync and frame rate limiters were introduced.  

Archived