Plane barely controllable with some thunderstorms / rain

gregoryv

Hello.

Today I did flight to Zurich.

The weather was rainy with some thunderstorms in the area.

The plane barely could be controlled . It hardly descended and speed increased all the time.

I am using AS for weather engine with default settings.

On final approach it was small amount of rain, winds 170/13 and it was hardly possible to fly a plane.

Why is this happening?

I have experienced the same situation couple of times with some light rain and thunderstorm in the area, flight will become uncontrollable and the airspeed will go up and down even on level flight. I do also use the AS weather engine with default settings, will do a flight with AS turned off but with VATSIM wx and will try to find a place with thunderstorms to see if I get the same results. 

11 minutes ago, gregoryv said:

Hello.

Today I did flight to Zurich.

The weather was rainy with some thunderstorms in the area.

The plane barely could be controlled . It hardly descended and speed increased all the time.

I am using AS for weather engine with default settings.

On final approach it was small amount of rain, winds 170/13 and it was hardly possible to fly a plane.

Why is this happening?

I usually seek out bad weather to fly through (not in real life, which is the opposite!) and I've not experienced this.  But I can certainly explain why it happens.

Since the Airbus requires a rather steady 18fps for the aircraft to fly correctly, any processing, disk access, etc., that results in the frame rate dropping below 18fps is going to cause problems and if you're flying in the managed mode you might see the VNAV trying to catch up to the sim time, aircraft position, etc.  Remembering that sim time is directly affected by frame rates, and you can see how this can be an issue. 

We're always looking to improve the code, however we've not had problems on our end so long as our sims were running smoothly under different conditions and able to maintain 18fps or greater.

Reverting to default shaders and/or reducing cloud textures to 2048 instead of 4096 may help.

Best wishes.

3 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

I usually seek out bad weather to fly through (not in real life, which is the opposite!) and I've not experienced this.  But I can certainly explain why it happens.

Since the Airbus requires a rather steady 18fps for the aircraft to fly correctly, any processing, disk access, etc., that results in the frame rate dropping below 18fps is going to cause problems and if you're flying in the managed mode you might see the VNAV trying to catch up to the sim time, aircraft position, etc.  Remembering that sim time is directly affected by frame rates, and you can see how this can be an issue. 

We're always looking to improve the code, however we've not had problems on our end so long as our sims were running smoothly under different conditions and able to maintain 18fps or greater.

Reverting to default shaders and/or reducing cloud textures to 2048 instead of 4096 may help.

Best wishes.

Hi Dave,

I can assure you that my fps at least double than 18 and I am running high end machine.

The fps is not a problem.

My cloud textures are 1024.

5 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Okay, and chance you could make a short video of what you're seeing?

Of course. Actually I did a stream on twitch. All there. 

I sent you a link via private message.

Thanks

Could this perhaps be a case of the ActiveSky "Turbulence Effect Scale" (or whatever it's called, I'm away from my sim PC) being set too high, as the default setting is?  If I recall, the default is something like 70 and the recommended setting, for the FSX buses, was 30-40.  Assuming this still holds for the Pro version?

After getting the link to the video from Gregory it's like seeing a mirror, that is exactly the same thing that is happening to me when flying through weather. Yesterday I was able to find some weather NE of KBEH, did a quick flight and as soon as I got close to the weather in the radar the airspeed began to act up, then once left the red zone into clear zone it went back to close to smooth but then small green patches of rain close to the final approach and the airspeed and altitude began to act up again. It is impossible (at least on my end) to control the aircraft on manual mode during that phase.

I cranked the PMDG 737, and flew through the same weather, and although you still can see there is turbulence in the red zone, the airplane it still very flyable in AP or manual mode. I am not bashing the airbus as this is my first airbus add on and I am in love with it, aerosoft did an excellent job. I do also have a very nice system so fps are not a factor for me.

Will try to see the settings on AS and play with them to see if it helps as it is a little frustrating since I do like to fly in the Florida area during the summer as it is thunderstorm season but right now not enjoying the flight in the airbus in weather condition. Other than that, awesome add on.

Jay

Just did a tryout flight on a weather area with some patches of severe weather and tried changing the settings on AS and this was the findings. (More testing needs to be done to be sure.)

Under Options - Wind options (and effects) -  Maximum wind turbulence - 30

Under Options - Wind options (and effects) - Turbulence effect scale - 38

Everything else I left the same. Did see a big improvement on behavior of the aircraft during AP and Manual Mode. Did not want to go to 0 on either one as it will take the realism away. You still have to concentrate to control the aircraft under manual mode but it is manageable.

As I said, I will keep trying out. BTW on this flight I was looking the fps and they were from 40s to low 30s so I know my fps are not the issue here.

Jay :)

7 hours ago, Jayvier said:

Just did a tryout flight on a weather area with some patches of severe weather and tried changing the settings on AS and this was the findings. (More testing needs to be done to be sure.)

Under Options - Wind options (and effects) -  Maximum wind turbulence - 30

Under Options - Wind options (and effects) - Turbulence effect scale - 38

Everything else I left the same. Did see a big improvement on behavior of the aircraft during AP and Manual Mode. Did not want to go to 0 on either one as it will take the realism away. You still have to concentrate to control the aircraft under manual mode but it is manageable.

As I said, I will keep trying out. BTW on this flight I was looking the fps and they were from 40s to low 30s so I know my fps are not the issue here.

Jay :)

I have mine set to 100 and 35, respectively, and don't believe I've run into any issues.  Sometimes I get the up/downdrafts when I'm dodging CBs (they don't always seem to be confined to the clouds themselves for some reason) but that has its own setting.

Some add-on aircraft seem to be inherently more stable than others for whatever reasons.  The Aerosoft Buses have always been rocks for me; I usually hardly ever experience significant turbulence.  Whereas the feelThere E-jets are really badly affected by the turbulence effect scale - on a clean reinstall I had forgotten to lower that setting until I realized it was causing some rather violent yawing on takeoff and approach (it will literally uncontrollably swing left/right at least 30 degrees as if you hit massive windshear).  The Qualitywings 757, meanwhile, sometimes would ride like a boat on choppy seas in clear skies.  Sometimes you never know what you're going to get.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

flew through thunderstorms with the A 320 yesterday and experienced the same problems. Near thunderstorms the plane went wild (rodeo style). I had to disable the autothrottle completely until landing, because a stable fight was impossible. The AT switched to TOGA mode every time the wind shifted. It was barely controllable and obviously overreacted. I used VATSIM weather in ActiveSky and in the weather options in the aircraft. By the way: what happens in the background, when you select VATSIM or any other source via the MCDU? Does the setting in the Airbus influence the weather setting in ActiveSky? 

Other aircraft (PMDG) are not as sensitive to bad weather as the Airbus. I don´t want to change the settings every time I fly the Airbus (which I really like!!).  Is there any way you can tame the wild horse code wise?

Ingo

The weather setting in the MCDU is for the weather downlink. It does not affect how the plane flies at all, it's just for getting metar info.

Was this with default AS settings or the more reasonable values recommended above?

Oh and you really shouldn't fly into a thunderstorm.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Ingo, unfortunately the default settings regarding wind in AS are somehow unrealistic. Also some aircrafts reacts more sensitive then others, but this is hard to compare as you never fly different aircraft with exactly the same weather conditions.

My settings on a meanwhile lowend hardware are

- max wind turbulence 50

- turbulence effect scale 50

which gives me satisfyiing results

But there is something else that might influence this behaviour: fps, you should have at leats stable >= 18 fps during flight.

I´ll give the settings a try. The FPS aren´t a problem, My system is quite up to date. During flight I see between 60 and 80 FPS. But like I said before, as far as I can tell only the Airbus acts up. Can´t wait to see, if changing the mentioned settings calms down the autothrottle.

Archived