Heathrow X : graphic bug on the runway

steph1975_fr

Hi

I've installed Heathrow X with FSX - Acc Pack - SP2 and there is a problem with the runway: I can see 2 different "markings" on the floor. Actually, I suppose that there are the old runway (FSX) and the new one (aerosoft). What can I do for that ?

Thank's

With regards

Stéphane

PS sorry for my english but I'm french I hope that you will undertand what I mean...

• Aerosoft
Hi Matthijs,

This is a DX10 issue.

Bleedtrough will appear.

By putting the same photo-underground in 4,8 p/m and then 1 p/m on top of it this can be solved.

Riiiight... so make three runways instead of one. What was i thinking, that life would be simple?

I love DX10, but MS really messed up SP2 and including it in the Accel pack was nothing short of... better stop here, I need to work with my best friends in Redmond a bit longer, lol.

Thanks for the tip, for now I think we better wait until MS solves the new and fresh bugs of SP2.

Hi Matthijs,

This is a DX10 issue.

Bleedtrough will appear.

By putting the same photo-underground in 4,8 p/m and then 1 p/m on top of it this can be solved.

How I can do that ?? I'm not sure to understand...

• 1 month later...
  • Developer

HI,

the "bug" only appears with DX10 Preview. In my oppinion it does not make sense to solve it (and not sure if possible) when also default FSX airports like Frankfurt have those problems with flickering lines etc. in DX10 preview. So the issue is somehow related to Microsoft not making a full DX10 FSX instead of a "preview".

Please switch to DX9 and everything will work well.

Thorsten

• 4 weeks later...

Hi There

Some people have reported much improved framerates by moving to DX10 and therefore whilst the solution of moving back to DX9 works the problem should be fixed if possible to allow people to use DX10 and Heathrow.

Regards

Lufty

• 1 month later...

:D I've worked around the DX10-Preview runway ghost markings problem by using a BGL editor to set the runway objects markings visibility to "False" within the MegaAirport London Heathrow file "AFX_EGLL.bgl"

DIY: To get rid of the ghost runway markings that show up when you run in DX10 preview mode, do the following:

* Find the file "AFX_EGLL.bgl" located in the "...Mega Airport London Heathrowscenery" directory (mine was renamed to AFX_EGLL.bgx for some reason, which disabled it - don't know why). The file contains the Airport Facilities information for Heathrow.

* Using a BGL editor (I used the free-ware FSX Planner version R 27b), load the BGL file then set all of the runway objects' markings properties to "false". (It is easier to work with the runways if you disable "Show Exclusion Rectangles" from the Display drop-down menu. The runway objects are underneath the exclusion rectangles.)

* Recompile the BGL file, giving it whatever name you want. I called mine "Aerosoft MegaAirport Heathrow EGLL DX10 Runway markings workaround.BGL".

* Copy the new BGL file into the "...MegaAirport London Heathrowscenery" directory. (Note: it needs to be in the same directory because otherwise a building goes missing; I had originally copied the file to the Add-Ons/Scenery directory.)

* Disable the original BGL file (AFX_EGLL.bgl) by renaming it.

* Reload your FSX scenery

* Ghost markings should now be gone. Note: AI traffic still works. :-)

(Note: To use FSX Planner to modify airport BGL files, you need to have the FSX SDK (with the SP2 update) and "Microsoft Visual J# 2.0 Redistributable Package - SE" installed.)

Is it possible for Aerosoft might provide an official work-around patch/file for this? It should require less than an hour of a developer's time to reset the marking properties (as I have done) within the AFX file that comes with MegaAirport. I do enjoy Mega Airport London Heathrow, and for performance and aesthetic reasons run in DX10 mode. In the meantime, I've attached the BGL file I modified for those who want to use it at their own risk.

I hope Aerosoft doesn't mind me modifying the file and providing it to the forum, as I know there are other simmers out there who prefer to run FSX in DX10-preview mode, rather than DX9; this thread appeared to have reached a dead-end.

Neither myself (and especially Aerosoft) provide support for the modified version of the BGL I'm providing; if it doesn't work for you, be sure to keep a copy of your original file. But do post back to this thread if it worked for you.

Side Note: For those who are interested, the default Heathrow BGL provided by Microsoft (which also has the Runway markings properties turned-on) is located in the file APX47130.BGL within the "501" scenery folder; however, you shouldn't need to modify it as MegaAirport London Heathrow should be at a higher scenery priority than the default FSX scenery, thus overriding it.

Below are screenshots of DX10-preview without the bug (duplicate markings); also, I've included a shot of the editor showing the Runway Marking properties which I set to "false".

Unfortunately, I don't have my own webspace where I may publish the screenshots & binary file and thus provide URL links within the messages; therefore, you'll need to log-in to this forum to access the screenshots and uploaded BGL of my previous postings.

Regards

Mike

• 5 months later...

Dear Aerosoft

How about releasing a DX10 patch for Heathrow especally if it is only an hour or so to fix ?

Bearing in mind FS11 is not going to be released before October 2010 more and more people will make the move to DX10 which does offer significant performance improvements with the latest DX10 graphic cards.

Many thanks in advance

Lufty

Thanks for the tip, for now I think we better wait until MS solves the new and fresh bugs of SP2.

Probably not news now, but MS have no plans to do anything more with FSX.

Wouldn't editing the AFCAD with Lee Swordy's AFCAD2 editor and removing the markings suffice?

Best regards,

Robin.

• 2 weeks later...
HI,

the "bug" only appears with DX10 Preview. In my oppinion it does not make sense to solve it (and not sure if possible) when also default FSX airports like Frankfurt have those problems with flickering lines etc. in DX10 preview. So the issue is somehow related to Microsoft not making a full DX10 FSX instead of a "preview".

Please switch to DX9 and everything will work well.

Thorsten

I appreciate the work that must have gone into Heathrow 2008X. The detail is terrific. In many respects it is an excellent add-on. But that is precisely why I want it to work properly; and it is why I think the attitude revealed by Thorsten's e-mail is surprising and, I am afraid, unsatisfactory.

The Megascenery Heathrow 2008 X is marketed as compatible with - indeed as requiring - SP2, of which the DX10 preview is an integral part. Therefore, the correct perspective is that SOME airports in FSX work perfectly well under DX10. So do many of the add-on sceneries, including the new FlyTampa Kai Tak, which also has fantastic framerates in both DX9 and DX10 despite modelling an entire city as well as just an airport. It achieves these by offering to install in "strict" SDK-compliance mode in which certain airport ground textures are simplified: a very worthwhile sacrifice, in my opinion, for superb performance.

So evidently it is possible to make detailed airports that work with DX10, as well as airports that do not cripple framerates either under DX9 or under DX10. That is what we have all paid for and, to be blunt, it is what Aerosoft should deliver. There may be some limited scope for flexibility about the timeframe for delivering the necessary updates (although plenty of time is now passed since release for this to have occurred), but to my mind there is really no scope for debate about the principle of the thing.

Regards,

Tim Morshead

PS: I am sure this will get sorted out - along with the grey buildings issue under DX10 - and as a mark of my confidence I have just ordered the Frankfurt add-on.

• 1 month later...
I appreciate the work that must have gone into Heathrow 2008X. The detail is terrific. In many respects it is an excellent add-on. But that is precisely why I want it to work properly; and it is why I think the attitude revealed by Thorsten's e-mail is surprising and, I am afraid, unsatisfactory.

The Megascenery Heathrow 2008 X is marketed as compatible with - indeed as requiring - SP2, of which the DX10 preview is an integral part. Therefore, the correct perspective is that SOME airports in FSX work perfectly well under DX10. So do many of the add-on sceneries, including the new FlyTampa Kai Tak, which also has fantastic framerates in both DX9 and DX10 despite modelling an entire city as well as just an airport. It achieves these by offering to install in "strict" SDK-compliance mode in which certain airport ground textures are simplified: a very worthwhile sacrifice, in my opinion, for superb performance.

So evidently it is possible to make detailed airports that work with DX10, as well as airports that do not cripple framerates either under DX9 or under DX10. That is what we have all paid for and, to be blunt, it is what Aerosoft should deliver. There may be some limited scope for flexibility about the timeframe for delivering the necessary updates (although plenty of time is now passed since release for this to have occurred), but to my mind there is really no scope for debate about the principle of the thing.

Regards,

Tim Morshead

PS: I am sure this will get sorted out - along with the grey buildings issue under DX10 - and as a mark of my confidence I have just ordered the Frankfurt add-on.

Any word on this? I am sorry to be blunt but the continuing delays are most unsatisfactory. It really is high time that Aerosoft sorted this out. Frankfurt 2008X does not appear to suffer from DX10 problems so it is obviously well within the developer's ability to do it properly.

Tim Morshead

Any word on this? I am sorry to be blunt but the continuing delays are most unsatisfactory. It really is high time that Aerosoft sorted this out. Frankfurt 2008X does not appear to suffer from DX10 problems so it is obviously well within the developer's ability to do it properly.

Tim Morshead

Hey Guys,

I have heathrow X and have used it in both DX9/10 and the only problem I had was an AFCAD runway markings showing through the runway ...

1. Is this what you are refering to?

If So, there is an SP2 patch on Aerosoft's Shop Support page of this page CLICK HERE.

2. Or, if not, Can any of you post a screen shot of this?

Hey Guys,

I have heathrow X and have used it in both DX9/10 and the only problem I had was an AFCAD runway markings showing through the runway ...

1. Is this what you are refering to?

If So, there is an SP2 patch on Aerosoft's Shop Support page of this page CLICK HERE.

2. Or, if not, Can any of you post a screen shot of this?

There are 2 problems. One is the AFCAD runway markings. The other is only noticeable at dawn/dusk/night: all the buildings turn grey in DX10.

I don't find Aerosoft's website terribly easy to use: they seem to scatter bits of information & downloads in different places. So I may have missed something, but I cannot find anything about an SP2 patch. The FAQs for London Heathrow 2008 refer to downloading the "latest version" to cure a crash to desktop - but there is no link that I can find to a "latest version": just the same old v100 that came out in December 2007.

Tim