Abnormally poor FPS in P3D v4

AshleyDrake

Hi all,

I've seen many posts since the release of this aircraft for V4 about how nice it is on performance, and as I owned the aircraft for FSX SE, performance was the main reason I chose this aircraft over the 'other' airbus for P3D. However, at the moment in the A319 I'm achieving HALF the frames that I am in the PMDG NGX, even with lower settings, shadows off, HDR off, reflections off etc. I don't want to throw my money away and write this aircraft off as being bad on performance before I have even been able to complete one full flight in it, however it appears that something isn't right. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? Is this an issue anyone else has experienced with the aircraft? 

My computer is a relative potato, however the old aircraft ran fine in FSX, and many others run fine now in V4. I struggle to believe that between the FSX version of this aircraft and the new version, performance can have been diminished by this much?

Any ideas?

(please don't bother with the generic 'lower your settings', 'get a new PC' comments, it's not helpful)

Hi Mathijs,

My hardware:

Intel i7-6500U 

AMD Radeon R5 M430

8GB RAM

I am far from an expert when it comes to PC specs, but I know that this is far from a great gaming setup as I'm currently using a standard laptop. My only saving grace if this is as issue with running the aircraft on this PC is that I am definitely overdue investing in a proper simming PC. 

I've noticed that it's only in the VC that the frames are dramatically lower, which of course you would expect to an extent, however outside the aircraft frames are smooth and near to or at my locked frame limit (29) Inside the VC however they are still poor, (5-6) could it be something in the VC causing this?

Many thanks,

Ashley

• Aerosoft

It is not something in the VC it IS the VC that causes the problem. It is simply too complex for the entry level graphics card (that is below our system requirements). Older aircraft might work but the new compilers from Lockheed are tuned to more modern graphics systems. I am surprised you got the frame rate you report. 

Please login to display this image.

If you invest in a new system, I wouldn't consider anything less than the i9 processor.  The specs for these have recently been released, and the processor is scheduled to hit the market in the fall.  We're not sure yet, but it seems as if the new processors have the major security flaws (found last year in all PC, server, tablet and phone processors) have been either addressed or mitigated.

• 3 months later...

Hi Ashley,

A late response but i would like to add a comment, It seems like your specs are alright (graphics is lacking), but you could potentially improve them. Unlike what Dave said, you will not need a i9 whatsoever, the i3-8350k will be future proof for a long while. CPU's from intel are not categorised like that, the 8th gen i3 will destroy the first gen i7 any day, especially for flight sims you will not need anything above 200 GBP spent on a CPU. Im running a i7-8700k and 1080 OC'd and i will not get above 30fps in FSX because its an old program and therefore i would consider the specs recommend by Aerosoft. If you would like help picking out parts for a system, i will be happy to help :)

5 hours ago, Communist Otter said:

Hi Ashley,

A late response but i would like to add a comment, It seems like your specs are alright (graphics is lacking), but you could potentially improve them. Unlike what Dave said, you will not need a i9 whatsoever, the i3-8350k will be future proof for a long while. CPU's from intel are not categorised like that, the 8th gen i3 will destroy the first gen i7 any day, especially for flight sims you will not need anything above 200 GBP spent on a CPU. Im running a i7-8700k and 1080 OC'd and i will not get above 30fps in FSX because its an old program and therefore i would consider the specs recommend by Aerosoft. If you would like help picking out parts for a system, i will be happy to help :)

Yeah, to be honest I have to agree with you about the 8th gen processors performance wise (I still happily run an i7-4770K for my flight sim rig and there is no reason for me to upgrade... yet).  However my advice was based on the correction of extremely serious security flaws in 8th gen and below processors rather than performance, and the fixes for earlier processors have been far worse than problematic.  (See: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/spectre-and-meltdown-hardware-protection-added-to-intels-9th-gen-cpus/).

In my 36+ years in flight sim and having worked directly with hundreds of flight simmers and hundreds more indirectly, I can say without any reservation that the vast majority of flight simmers don't care, don't know, or nobody has ever spoken to them about computer security.  Despite a great deal of evidence and experience to the contrary, may people in our community still believe that computer security isn't necessary and/or that you can't run good computer security without it impacting performance - which is an absolute a myth.  Today there is no reason why someone shouldn't run one of the top three rated computer security suites and they should.  But even so, this will not by itself correct the processor security flaws that currently exist.

Computer security is going to be even more important in the coming years given the wholesale threats which exist today, which are only going to increase in the future.

Best wishes!

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2018 at 6:17 AM, AshleyDrake said:

I've noticed that it's only in the VC that the frames are dramatically lower, which of course you would expect to an extent, however outside the aircraft frames are smooth and near to or at my locked frame limit (29) Inside the VC however they are still poor, (5-6) could it be something in the VC causing this?

I just bought this aircraft today and having the same issue. CS 757, PMDG 737, 747, FSLabs 320 are giving me better performance than this aerosoft bird. It has to be something in VC (with trueglass turned off) that's causing such FPS drop. As soon as I jump outside, FPS shoots up to 40 plus - more than any other add on I have. I get around avg 35 FPS in other aircrafts at FSDT JFK, but in this I hardly get 20.

I will try troubleshooting next weekend and report any findings. 

I am just trying to reach out to those who reported performance issues on their systems. My intent is to find out if they were able to improve performance by adjusting any settings in the sim that's all. If there are no answers, well and good.

For those having performance issues... below is a likely fix and some advice as well.

1. The Airbus Pro series employs TrueLight and RealGlass, and with all aircraft that have this it is necessary to delete your P3D shaders folder, which will be rebuilt the next time you start P3D.  One should do this anytime they install or update the Airbus Pro.

2.   Aerosoft, along with many other high end aircraft developers, recommend that you not use custom/third party shaders, as they often cause a host of issues including reduced frame rates.

Best wishes!

Regenerating shaders folder did help and now getting fps around 23-25. Time to upgrade my graphics and hopefully can boost this bird's performance further. Thanks for taking the time to share tips - appreciate it! 

Archived