!! Windows 7 no longer supported !!

As Microsoft will stop supporting Windows 7 on Jan 20th we will be unable to test any of our
products on that platform. It may work, or it may not, but no guarantees from our side. 

Mathijs Kok

Aerosoft A330 Professional Preview

5 hours ago, Mace_RB said:

This may be beyond the scope of this project, but I'm wondering -- how involved is it, to take the outside air temp and wx condition (rain/snow), and use that to make braking somewhat worse?  Or would there be other possible factors I'm not thinking of?

There are so many more factors involved in real life like the weather conditions in the past (has it rained or snowed before? Is the ruwnay maybe already covered in ice/snow/slush, etc.), relative humidity, the actual runway (how easily can water flow off, what's the surface condition, etc.) and so on and so on, it would seem very hard if not impossible to actually use the variables available in the simulator for a fully realistic braking simulation.

5 hours ago, Maximilian1912 said:

Is the software used in full - motion simulators much better than the P3D software ?

Generally: Yes, of course it is.
The Boeing data package for the flight dynamics alone costs about 4.5 million Dollar and that's just the flight dynamics.
Of course there are other aspects where P3D is also doing very well, if not even better:
Mainly: Visuals!
In a full flight simulator you don't need a lovely landscape, you don't need HD clouds, you don't need nice sunrises or sunsets, you don't need shadows, you don't need animated cars, people, etc.

What you need is an airport looking like the one you operate into, a horizon and some mesh. Even that is usually on an FS2000 level however as that's all you need to show a pilot that there's a mountain ahead and if he comes close this is how the systems will react.

My airline in fact only has our two main operating bases in our simulators in a highly detailed version (which btw has a lot lesser resolution than what most FS addons have nowadays) and the rest is just generic airports.
Generic in these terms does not mean a default P3D airport btw, but simply a runway and maybe an adjacent taxiway.

Apart from that, let me try to summarize and comment a little, but please be aware that these comments are mainly based on my comparably few hours spent in these simulators during my type rating:

Flight Dynamics: A LOT better than P3D. When I say a lot I really mean a lot lot lot. And still shitty compared with the real aircraft ;)

Systems: Of course much more detailed than any addon available for P3D, X-Plane or AFS2. Even PMDG and FSL look like toys compared to a full flight sim! Yet many FFS's still lack behind the real aircraft when it comes to some tricks and hacks you use in your daily life. They're pretty damn solid however!

Visuals: As described above.

Weather: Again, a lot better, especially in terms of effects of the weather on the aircraft as well as the different weather phenomena, weather systems, etc. However: When I asked my instructor to do some max crosswind and full gusts training at the end of my last session when we had a couple of minutes left he only told me it would be negative training because the simulator would not even come close to how the real aircraft handles. And I probably have to agree with him based on even the lesser effects I noticed earlier on with weaker winds.

As a final word: Keep in mind what those flight simulators (all the way up to the full flight sims) are. They are devices to train pilots in flows, SOPs, abnormal and emergencies. They are basically system trainers and they are not meant to replace any actual hands on flying skills.

No simulator can replace good judgement and experience. And that you only gain flying the real thing.
A simulator is there to give you a solid base of understanding how things work. It will give you insights into how certain situations might look like. Reality on the other hands side will always be different. One failure will never come alone and chances are things will evolve in a different way than in the simulator training.

Look for example at that Southwest flight which had the engine separation in the climb at FL300.

They got both, a rapid decompression and an engine severe damage (I believe a fire bell as well) at the same time. On top of that they had injured and, as far as I recall, even one dead passenger.

The simulator might train each of these things at a time to give you an idea of how to handle those.
In real life it is the good judgement of the crew, both captain and first officer, as well as cabin crew, which will lead to a safe and successfull outcome of the situation.
No simulator can ever simulate that and in fact they are not intented to do so.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 5

24 minutes ago, Bigt said:

Ya I'm sure it will work on the latest release (whatever that is at the time) but why wouldn't it work on 4.4 as well?

It will not work with v4.4 because of the implemented PBR for the outside and VC 3d model. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

On 7/20/2019 at 4:12 PM, Haleef I said:

The release of the 330 will always be released for the latest version of P3D as said earlier in this discussion. 

But also the A320 etc will ALWAYS be compiled with the latest compilers and might need the latest version. Lockheed is working very hard on each new version and they are always faster and better.

On 7/20/2019 at 1:17 AM, niklasnowaka380 said:

Is there a possibilities that the a330 will be released after the release of Prepar3D v5? And if yes, would it be compatible for both v4.5 and v5?

No, we are pretty much in tune with Lockheed and as there is no solid news about V5 we are pretty sure we can release this for V4. Of course it will be released for V5 as well as soon as we get the new compilers.

On 7/20/2019 at 6:17 PM, Bigt said:

Ya I'm sure it will work on the latest release (whatever that is at the time) but why wouldn't it work on 4.4 as well?

Because the compilers changed to make it more efficient.

4 minutes ago, snow said:

Now second half of 2019. With such detailed model and modern capabilities of Prepar 3D, the developers have forgotten about the 2D no transparent cabin windows. Please think about 3D windows again.

The model looks very tasty. Stefan done, works with soul!

Nothing has been forgotten about, we took a close look at the need for a full 3D cabin and decided against it.

A detailed explanation has been posted when the first previews of the fuselage have been shown in the past, the short summary of it is the follwing:
Go to an airport and have a look at an aircraft. How much of the interiour will you actually see from the outside? Not a lot.
The reason is that the cabin is so much darker than the outside that the human eye can hardly see anything inside.

Therefore we asked outselves if it is actually worth the fps loss. And decided against it.

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, Emanuel Hagen said:

The reason is that the cabin is so much darker than the outside that the human eye can hardly see anything inside.

Take this picture from the Airbus website as proof of what you dont see:
image.png

Airbus

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, FestiveDuck said:

First off: Great looking aircraft! Really looking forward to the release. 

I apologise if it has been asked before. I do recall someone asking about engines, I know you guys are releasing with the RR. Is there any plan to later develop a model with the GE-CF6?
Once again, sorry if it has already been asked. 

Regards. 

Here you go LINK

Took around 5 minutes to find, using the very handy search functionality in the top ;) 

Have a great day.

2 minutes ago, Maximilian1912 said:

Are passengers modelated? This adds nothing to the immersion, but would be a nice extra somehow. Great work so far!!!

Short answer: No. Simply not worth the time you would spend on a nice cabin interiour incl. passengers. Not talking about performance etc.

• Like 1

Off topic: when using the forum search feature you can set a few filters. If you are already in the "Preview" topic and only want to search in this topic you can limit the search just to "This Topic".

image.png

In order to get the search filters shown, you have to use the "Copy of IPS Default 4 (Default)" forum theme which you can select on the bottom of the page. If you have any other theme selected the search filters are not getting shown.

image.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Maximilian1912 said:

Is smoke (from the wheels) simulated during an RTO?

No. First of all it is something that would only happen under extreme braking actions, secondly it is not a standard procedure and we are highly reluctant to simulate those. It also requires us to simulate a lot more. Extreme high temperatures in the brakes, possible fire, grounding the aircraft etc etc. Basically it's a bit like electronics, when the smoke escapes the machine is broken. We do simulate the more modern carbon brakes that increase stopping power as they get hot, we do not simulate them fusing to the brakepads when an RTO in extremis has to be done. You can write the brakes and tires off. 

To be honest, in 25+ years of seeing people flying simulated aircraft I have never seen any RTO being done, I have also flying online for a loooong time never seen it done. How often do you do them? 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Maximilian1912 said:

Is smoke (from the wheels) simulated during an RTO?

While I don't believe smoke is modeled, FSFX is presently working on an Aerosoft Airbus Immersion product for the Airbus Prodessional. It promises to be as good or better than their previous product for our 32 bit Airbus. This is all the information I have on this, but you can always contact them directly.

7 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

To be honest, in 25+ years of seeing people flying simulated aircraft I have never seen any RTO being done, I have also flying online for a loooong time never seen it done. How often do you do them

Absolutely. The only time I've done an RTO has been in testing.

16 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

To be honest, in 25+ years of seeing people flying simulated aircraft I have never seen any RTO being done, I have also flying online for a loooong time never seen it done. How often do you do them? 

Add to this that you have to encounter some very specific circumstances for the brakes actually to start smoking.

The aircraft has to be near the maximum takeoff weight, reject very close to V1, etc.

I've done a couple of rejects flying "the line" in the PMDG's, which simulate the brakes glowing red if they get really hot, and never I even got into that range. Let alone smoking brakes, melting fuseplugs, etc.

It might be simulated in those aircraft, but even though it is and even though I did some RTO's, I've simply never encountered entering that range as it is the absolute extreme of an already very unusual manouver.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Emanuel Hagen said:

Add to this that you have to encounter some very specific circumstances for the brakes actually to start smoking.

The aircraft has to be near the maximum takeoff weight, reject very close to V1, etc.

I've done a couple of rejects flying "the line" in the PMDG's, which simulate the brakes glowing red if they get really hot, and never I even got into that range. Let alone smoking brakes, melting fuseplugs, etc.

It might be simulated in those aircraft, but even though it is and even though I did some RTO's, I've simply never encountered entering that range as it is the absolute extreme of an already very unusual manouver.

As far as I am aware there is no add-on that simulates these things. Not even the so called study level add-ons. 

9 hours ago, BrianThePilot said:

I've spoken to a friend of mine that is an Airbus pilot for a USA carrier and flies your guys' aircraft and spoke about it a bit. He says that the Airbus Retard Callout plays after 20 feet. Of course it's such a minor thing, but just one thing that kinda nags us :D If it's too much time to fix the minor bug, I understand, but he said that the retard callout isn't supposed to step over the 20 foot callout. 

We'll look into this, thanks!

14 hours ago, BrianThePilot said:

I've spoken to a friend of mine that is an Airbus pilot for a USA carrier and flies your guys' aircraft and spoke about it a bit. He says that the Airbus Retard Callout plays after 20 feet. Of course it's such a minor thing, but just one thing that kinda nags us :D If it's too much time to fix the minor bug, I understand, but he said that the retard callout isn't supposed to step over the 20 foot callout. 

The 320s I fly dont even play 20ft callout. And I fly a really wide variety of serials, from 2000's to 9000's. From 30ft goes to retard callout and it has priority over the rest gpws (20 10 and 5) callouts, as long as the levers are not retarded. And lets not forget, "retard" callout is not a command, its a reminder to move the levers to idle. I can touchdown with levers at CLB if power is needed all the way to the runway. And believe me it happens quite often, specially at warmer days. So, there is not a precise/exact moment at which the retard call is triggered.

Regards

All these calls are optional and decided by the airline when they order (or update) the aircraft.

34 minutes ago, captainmirza14 said:

So are you guys going to like add options for specific callouts in the MCDU like how PMDG does it in the Boeing FMC’s?

No. That's one of the differences between a product that is $65 and one that is $130. I am just not comfortable with a price level that high. I feel a lot of things that make the difference are things that are better on a feature list then in the user experience. if a user wants to tweak it that is possible of course as we do most of that in user editable XML code.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

vor 8 Stunden , rickard.sim sagte:

Does the airbus a330 gonna be compatible with GSX?

Like are it gonna be automatic doors opening?

Yes, the same functions like in the other models will be also available in the A333!

Regards,

Rolf

• Like 1

vor 35 Minuten, BENFM sagte:

Back in the A320 family product, using the tiller on the ground results in the rudder movement as well. It appears that some sort of "smart" way of detaching them would be a good idea. Has this been a consideration in the development process? Or do i simply have to buy a more sophisticated joystick?

You can assign the 3rd Engine axis and activate the tiller option in the A3XX MCDU already. The Axis assigned will then act as tiller without rudder movement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A decision about a 32 bit version has not been made and will only be made when the 64 bit versions (P3D and hopefully the new MS Flight Simulator) are completed. As that is a some way off and FSX is a very minor market even at this moment I must say it does not look good. It will all depend on how much we would have to remove (more then 60% of all polygons and half the texture maps!) and how much that will cost. And we'll end up at best with a 2015 style product... See the problems?

3 minutes ago, Bigt said:

Whoa. I don't want to start assuming and I have never asked for a release date. But, if we are waiting on the new MS sim, then a release this year is out the window is it not?

As Mathijs referred to a possible FSX version I assume you refer also to a release date of a possible FSX version, right?

If not, please read one or two pages back.

6 hours ago, Bigt said:

Whoa. I don't want to start assuming and I have never asked for a release date. But, if we are waiting on the new MS sim, then a release this year is out the window is it not?

Absolutely not. My CEO would skin me alive.

• Like 5

Time to update you on the EFB that will be part of the complete airbus range of products.  Normally I would not show anything if it would not be visible in a screenshot but as the VC is still under construction it's not possible. It will however be the standard Microsoft Surface 3 that is in use by most airlines these days. it will be mounted on the window ledge using the mounting hardware in use by many European carriers.

We have looked long and hard at several different 'brands' of EFB software (there seem to be 5 major companies who provide them) but we decided to stay close to what they do but do things a little different. This is mainly because we got limited pixels to show the EFB with. Of course it will have a 2D full HD popup, but we want it to be usable in the VC. So we need things to be a bit bigger. 

To show you what you can see on it a screenshot of the files layout might be useful.

image.png

• The first thing you might notice is that we default to HTML as a default file format. This is for two reasons, first of all, what we build is basically a standard webbrowser (more on that later). Secondly, it will make it easy for you to tweak the files. Your airline got different flows? No problem, easy to change the files. Making this adaptable is REALLY important for us.
  • Secondly what you might see is that we focus a lot on Flows (also in the tutorial and manual etc). That's because flows are what pilots use these days. So we provide the complete flow for both pilots and then the checklist to check if all has been done well.  Starting with the checklist is NOT how pilots work these days. Checklists are to check, not to do.
  • The EFF folder holds documents relating to your flight, briefing package, load sheet, flight plans. We will talk to SimBrief and PFPX to see if they can export direct, but you can also manually move the file in the correct folder.
  • The charts will be our own Lufthansa charts or Navigraph, we most likely be able to offer a free account for NavDataPro Charts for a few days but after that you will have to insert a serial. Of course you will see your location on the geo-referenced charts, enroute, SID/STAR, approach and airport layout.
  • If you have your own files you would like to see in the EFB, you can simply copy them to the User Defined folder and as long as they are not overly complex HMTL files they will show up fine.  

As said, basically it is a browser and that opens a whole lot of additional options. But also problems so we need to look closely at how we are going to handle that. Perhaps a list of links you can browse to (simbrief, avsim etc). If you got ideas we like to hear about it. Basically this whole EFB works at this moment, we do have some major hurdles. Performance for example. While this is not a major issue for Boeing etc, for Airbus it is still very complex and considered rather secret. So we need to see how we do that and we might not have this 100% completed on release.

If you have comments... please!

And the project I blurred? That's a kick ass project you have not even heard about. It's the one that Stefan our modeler worked on before he jumped back on the A330. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, europe.au said:

Would it be possible to have multiple variations of them tied to airline codes or something? Or are we just going to have to replace the files before each flight?

I doubt there will be many people who want to tweak all flows per airline, so no automatic behavior there.