Please put your post in the correct forum.
Today we had to move over 150 posts manually.  We do feel the forum structure is logical and the section names are clear. As redirecting posts pollute the forum a lot we will not add them anymore. So if you are unable to find your post, look for it in the most logical forum section.

Mathijs Kok

Aerosoft A330 Professional Preview

8 minutes ago, bussiedebus22 said:

Mathjis, are you aware there is (betatester?) called Alex or Alexander who has been sharing the A330? There us discussion about that one some discord chat sessions (at least one in Spanish, used Google translate to understand it) but it seems there was also some rather nasty stuff said about you personally.  Probably just teenagers but if you did not know you might need to take some 'corrective' action.

Yep.... Very unsavory affair. I do think we got everybody involved identified now. If they are juveniles we have send letters to their parents explaining what has happened and that I will not pursue minors but they might take their own 'corrective' actions. When they are of legal age we will start a simple procedure. In the country they live this is a very easy matter for us and has some major consequences for the person involved. I have very little reluctance going after people who share beta files.   And indeed,  to show they were not too bright and not very mature, they made fun of my name. Did not REALLY help me to go easy. 

Water under the bridge though (for me). Onwards we go!

• Like 6
  • Upvote 5

4 hours ago, BrianThePilot said:

Well after watching hours of MSFS 2020 content from their convention thing, it seems porting aircraft from P3D shouldn’t be a long drawn task, but we have to remember that there can be problems of porting. For example, textures, PBR differences, etc

We honestly have no idea at this moment. No matter how you look at it though, to make use of new features is always time consuming and just 'making something work' is not our style. So it will always take a few months of work for a smallish team like ours.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, klisura said:

So when the wait for the 330 is over, another one will start immediately for the new sim version...

Gotthold Ephraim Lessing said: ""...to await a pleasure, is itself a pleasure"

Quoting Lessing...  That gets you high on my list, big fan. But let's keep things in perspective.... all we seen today was pre-alpha, not even beta. So there is no release imminent. This is clearly a massive project and those do not move very fast. Just imagine the network needed behind it.

Our plans for complex aircraft are like this right now:

• A330 release.
  • Release of a kick ass  high end aircraft we are not able to say anything about.
  • Update the A318/A319/A320/A321 with all the new stuff of the A330. A lot has already been exported but things like the EFB with charts etc still needs to be done.
  • Finalize Connected Flight Deck with matchmaking server etc.

• No bloody idea right now.  That doesn't sound okay but actually it is. We will know more about the schedule of Microsoft Flight Simulator and that will determine a lot. We just know we might be able to work on a whole new platform, with a whole new Microsoft. One that is responsive to our needs etc.  But at the same time we can't see Lockheed and Laminar just sitting still (Dovetails is out for the count), who knows what they will come up with? It is clear that Microsoft has put in a HUGE amount of effort and money in this new project (and I really need a bigger font for that HUGE). But who knows, would not be the first time a much smaller company beats a giant. 

We love all sims. Trucks, trains, aircraft, no matter what. Any new open platform is good for us.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

Nice Nice Nice. Did LM improve something on the LG situation RN?  Also Will we get IRL soundpacks for this at somepoint (like LH cabin announcements in german IDK)?

BTW, I know it's normally up to the repainters but will we eventually get an editor//some tool to edit the reg numbe plates in the VC? I know it's a problem with the A320 mainly but if you have 80+ liveries and you need to edit a dds file for each one of these it might be a bit long. Just saying. 

IF we guess the "kickass aircraft" right can we get it :P? (JOKE)

I suggest that if you want/ have the time for some easter egg to place snake game in the tablet.

vor 10 Stunden , 747-400fan sagte:

BTW, I know it's normally up to the repainters but will we eventually get an editor//some tool to edit the reg numbe plates in the VC? I know it's a problem with the A320 mainly but if you have 80+ liveries and you need to edit a dds file for each one of these it might be a bit long. Just saying.

When it comes to the registration of the airplane, there exist mainly two approaches: A generalized generic one which feeds the symbols out of a gauge on a polygon floating above the mainpanel itself (and above the exterior fuselage too) and the approach we do normally, where the registration information is embedded into the texture itself. While the first one seems to be able to adapt faster to changes in registration, it is also totally unflexible when it comes to costum fonts, position and looks especially on the exterior of the aircraft. There is no unique size, position and color worldwide for the exterior registration, they can be spread over mainy positiong of a wing lower surface and the same issue appears on the sides of the tailsection. And so to keep the look of the exterior near the original it must be manually adapted, and the close to realworld look is simply the primary aim over pure convinience. Additionally if you use an extra surface close to the original surface, starting from a certain distance away from the aircraft you will get drawing errors as resulting from floating point rounding errors (finite precission) you will get that extras surface for parts of the pixel rendered behind the lower surface.

You will never get it perfectly right for anyone, but the compromise we use currently is more favourable than the other one.

• Like 3

Free copy of the A330 for the first person who can tell me EXACTLY what sound this is...

It recorded on an A330 flight desk.

whatsthis.zip

10 minutes ago, Tobias Nome said:

the blinders/sunshade on the side cockpit windows?

Damn, that did not last long. It is indeed.  We are closing up on 500 sounds for the cockpit right now but this one is pretty cool.

Contact me at mathijs.kok@aerosoft.com when we release for your free copy.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mopperle said:

small hint: it is not the flushing toilet

Damn, now I want to hear what that sounds like.

2 hours ago, Tino. said:

Damn, now I want to hear what that sounds like.

there you go. Wish we could flush it in the sim LMAO

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 747-400fan said:

Sooo, will the A330 get any icing effects (cuz winter is coming soon) like frost on the windshield on the ground or snow on the wing leading edge? We would just need an FSFX addon and it would be cherry on the cake,  🙂  just like the 787 IMO.

No. The anti icing systems are all automatic so if you get ice on the windshield you are either in very extreme conditions (and should consider if you want to fly there).  We would love to do realistic icing on wings etc and see it realistically being removed by the anti-ice systems but I think that's beyond the sim capacity at this moment. 

To be perfectly honest, this is one these things where user have ideas that might not match what is real. Is there any non-pilot who knows what dangerous snow on a wing looks? Most of the snow will just blow off as you gather speed. You do not need to model snow but freezing snow and model how that would be broken off by the wing anti-ice systems (both mechanical and thermal. I bet you there is not a single customer who is not trained as a pilot who can say if that is done realistically.  

Can it be done realistically? I think not at this moment with our current sim engines. Could we fake it so it looks what customers might believe what is realistic? probably. It will take a few weeks to design, model, implement and test.  For something that most likely is not close to realism.  That's why we decide to keep the price of the add-on low(ish) and do not model things we think we can't do correct. Things like Connected Flight Deck that add realism to every second of a flight are for us far more important. 

9 minutes ago, CheapCharlie said:

Mathijs, I think you mentioned in earlier posts that the A330 will get PBR textures.  Will your models include PBR textures on the external portions of the aircraft as well as the internal surfaces of  VC?  The reason I ask is that I have the Maddog X, and I can say that PBR VC textures do make the VC look much more realistic.  That being said, I understand that the MD-80 has a lot more reflective glass surfaces as compared to the Airbus Series of Aircraft.     

PBR inside and out.

23 minutes ago, Tobias Nome said:

Cant wait :D 

and... don't forget to send me the $40 for telling you what the sound was.... ;)  :)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Aaron1 said:

Any update on the landing gear? 

No, we are currently working on the charts, bit more complex than expected. We;'ll see.

14 hours ago, lcuesta said:

I don't know if the information on the previous pages is there, but will the efb also come from the first officer's side?

Yes, but if we keep them 100% separate is not yet decided. The issue is that the EFB has a high res display and inserting two with different bitmaps will take resources we rather not spend.

12 hours ago, Thomas Hao said:

From last week’s video, I found out that the landing gear still have bug on the ground. 

And that's why it was a work in progress video!

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, klisura said:

it could be possible to abolish all the "when will it be released" and "I can't wait" and similar posts ?

so annoying...

I fully understand you, but the other option would be to lock the topic, so that only stuff can post. But Aerosoft decided to leave it open to be able to get (valuable) feedback and this unfortunately includes many useless posts.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, halface0104 said:

Seems like all good questions have been already asked, so I came up with a different one. I've read that your A330 will be a -343 variant with RR Trent 700 engines. There are two models of those engines being used by -343, 772B-60 and 772C-60. Which one of them will be used? According to what I've found on the internet, those two have slightly different thrust output depending on the altitude. If it's true, is that difference significant enough to actually bother which one of those variants is "modelled"?

Btw: keep up the great work on that bird! I'm also impressed by how great you're with your audience. It's nice to be so close to the development. Feels like almost being a part of it. Cheers!

I believe it's the Trent 772B-60.

Both engine types are very similar, with the 772C-60 producing a little extra thrust over the 773B-60 above 8000ft (I think), but otherwise they are very, very similar especially for flight sim purposes.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Thomas Hao said:

Almost same, but it can have more thrust in the  high attitude airport, for example, in China, A lot of A330 use the 772C because it can fly the Tibet( high attitude) 

You would have to be a very very serious simmer to notice that. Certainly as the sim is pretty bad in correct thrust modeling.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

You would have to be a very very serious simmer to notice that. Certainly as the sim is pretty bad in correct thrust modeling.

No... you simply wouldn't notice. First of all because there is no serious performance prediction available for any FS aircraft which would come even close to the in sim performance.

Secondly you'd need a correct piloting technique for actually making those performance predictions. Which using those joysticks currently on the market is close to impossible.

Last you'd need correct influence of winds, tempratures, pressure levels, etc. which simply don't exist in the sims very simplyfied weather models.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Yes, but you HAVE to keep in mind that at least one layer of textures is missing so the colours are off (and to click to see the images at best res that the forum will do, it does look a lot better on  4k screen). 

This image I made to check some of the very fine details, like the grain of the materials. No idea why airbus uses a fake leather material.

2019-10-7_18-55-44-387.jpg

This image I made to see if Stefan can make the sun screen less 'perfect'. It is a thickish foil, not a screen. As you see I am really discussing minute details at this point.

2019-10-7_18-58-46-631.jpg

Checking some panel details. Note how the text of MCDU1 might be a bit too close to the edges, we might need to look at that. Still 64 fps, not too shabby hey?

2019-10-7_18-59-41-368.jpg

Would you just look at this detail? For Stefan every project is personal.... This is not work you 'pay' for, this is work you hope to get.2019-10-7_19-0-54-631.jpg

The most exciting work at this moment is being done on the EFB. All flows and checklists are done, NavDataPro charts work, they load and display (you can even print them from inside P3D!), soon the display of the aircraft symbol on top of the charts should be done.  After that Navigraph charts will be implemented.  To be honest navigation becomes kind of a joke that way. You just keep the aircraft on the dotted line. As said before the complete EFB is done in modern web format.  Not only because that is a very efficient way of handling this stuff but also because we hope that Microsoft will support this in the new sim. They really like that technology and it works on XBox. So it makes sense to be as up to date as possible.  It also makes it possible to insert your own flows and checklists (they differ massively between airlines) as they are done as pure very simply tekst:

image.png

Allowing the user to tweak this add-on in a very simple way is hugely important. You pay so it is your add-on. Install as much as you want on every system you own. No DRM and we'll do all we can to assist tweaking. If people are interested I can share those flows and checks now. Just let me know.

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Flyer330 said:

I noticed that you don't have the option to open the 3rd row of exits on the 3rd MCDU, are they emergency exits only?

Exit 3 L&R is an emergency exit, there are two types of exits at this location available from Airbus, a full sized exit door (usually found on the -300) and the smaller sized exit door (usually found on the -200) depending on what the airline chooses when they place their order. Difference in cost is significant.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, francis16 said:

Hi @DaveCT2003

is this just the -300 series or -343 series? 

cheers

The 343.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, marcusjm said:

Can we hope for some official performance files for PFPX as well? I know they will come eventually but it would

be nice to have some ready for release day.

Already included with PFPX with additional files at AirlinerPerformance

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Yes, but you HAVE to keep in mind that at least one layer of textures is missing so the colours are off (and to click to see the images at best res that the forum will do, it does look a lot better on  4k screen). 

This image I made to check some of the very fine details, like th e grain of the materials. No idea why airbus uses a fake leather material.

[...]

Those pictures look very nice and thank you for sharing them.   This is probably not possible, but for people who are just learning the airplane is it possible to click on a checklist item and it takes you to the particular control knob, display or switch?

That is something we considered but for many things it makes little sense. It also add a massive complexity we rather not go to. You will have to do it as a real pilot!

30 minutes ago, Mohamed Makhlouf said:

Well can you atleast post any new video like a cold and dark tutorial or any other tutorial 

Its so very similar to the A320 Series that its really not necessary my friend. If you can preflight the A320 you won't have any issues with the A330.

We will likely get another video out after all the textures are complete and a few more things are done.

Best wishes.

1 hour ago, AirbusCG said:

I can't agree with you Dave, there are so many small differences between the A320 and A330.

There's a good reasons pilot have to do quite a differences course when transitioning between the types.

"Similar" was used, I did not say "the same".

Moreover, I'm very aware of what the differences are between these two aircraft, and that many of them are not modeled in the sim ESPECIALLY our sim because we don't modeled anything other than normal procedures.  IF we modeled the MEL and abnormal procedures then sure, but we don't.  So from a flight simmer perspective, our creating a Cold and Dark through Engine Start video is going to mimic the living stuff out of the same processes.  I would not waste my time either creating or watching such a video if I was already familiar with the A320.

Moreover, Airbus intentionally designed these aircraft, even with different ratings, to be highly similar for the very reason I'm speaking about, which is commonality in operation. 

Should you wish to list the differences in the procedures applicable to our Bus, then feel free to open another topic my friend!  It would be most welcome.

• Upvote 2