Mathijs Kok

Aerosoft A330 Professional Preview

I hope that the new A330, when it is put on sale, does not have the problems that so far has the A318-319-320-321, and that previously passed through many BETATESTER and that via Rearpanel all the tests have been and have.

If in a month following the release of the A330, I do not read failures (some must have, but I hope they are insignificant and do not affect the flight) reported by many users, I will be one of those who acquire it.

25 minutes ago, Miguel_V said:

I hope that the new A330, when it is put on sale, does not have the problems that so far has the A318-319-320-321, and that previously passed through many BETATESTER and that via Rearpanel all the tests have been and have.

If in a month following the release of the A330, I do not read failures (some must have, but I hope they are insignificant and do not affect the flight) reported by many users, I will be one of those who acquire it.

Well, nobody can say you're not consistent my friend.

Mathijs, Thanks for the update and your thoughts. I love your 'Friday evening' chats as we get to understand the current thinking of Aerosoft projects and priorities. It is refreshing to see such openness.

Thanks for the update.

Since you mentioned the idea of a fixed SP1 is gone, maybe it's time to update something in "What's not available, what's wrong?" topic.

Do you have in mind some program like the PMDG Ops Center that will download and install the updates? I mean, instead of having to download installers every time from the website, since you mentioned a more steady flow of updates to the family. In addition, is it planned to add the cargo doors hydraulics sound to the A330 and the A320 family? Cheers!

2 hours ago, Gantalyetos said:

Do you have in mind some program like the PMDG Ops Center that will download and install the updates? I mean, instead of having to download installers every time from the website, since you mentioned a more steady flow of updates to the family. 

There is already an Aerosoft Updater. As far as I know, it only supports more recent products, but the A320 family is included, as well as the CRJ and DC-8.

Peter

6 hours ago, Gantalyetos said:

Do you have in mind some program like the PMDG Ops Center that will download and install the updates? I mean, instead of having to download installers every time from the website, since you mentioned a more steady flow of updates to the family. In addition, is it planned to add the cargo doors hydraulics sound to the A330 and the A320 family? Cheers!

Already there:

image.png

18 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

It is a long time since I written one of my Friday evening chats where I try to explain what is happening with our projects while drinking a glass of wine.  [...]

Mathijs, thanks for a frank and reasonable update. What is, I hope, very re-assuring for you guys is that there is demand for the A330, lots of interest from folk keen to get there hands on a bigger bus, that allows those who simply want to fly (The whole captain experience, rather than being some kind of technical 'meddler' tweaking tomatoes and adjusting the finer details) - the is in my very humble opinion what and how your products position themselves. So I declare myself as a buyer, when its ready and stable enough for me to get my Kick.

To further open this up, for me and me only, the real differentiation is the function of the selectable actions of the co-pilot, giving the option for the user (me) to decide, do I want to click the switches through checklists or simply 'outsource' these clicks to my co-pilot. This functionality is utterly spot on for me.That is why I love AS A3xxx so much and I am so excited about the possibility to fly Long Haul (318 KJFK to London City excepted) and something a bit bigger !

So my question, do you see enhancement to this functionality ? Do you see some increased possibility to rely upon the co-pilot, is there anything else that the co-pilot does in real life that is not done in the AS bus ? Perhaps in the loading of the route or in the INIT/flight plan input or handling ATC ? (real life pilots may be able to shed light on an amateur, home user...(sorry  Lockheed, for me its a combination of learning & leisure)

One other question, perhaps a little stupid as it is purely an immersion question and potentially laughable to some, I don'k know... when I select co-pilot ON and he or she starts running through the checklist for me...the seat next to me is still empty. Can co-pilot be modelled based on selected or not?

(and if anyone accuses me of asking a completely stupid request, I will cry and consider my self being bullied by overly technical and serious people)

53 minutes ago, Carl Wideman said:

So my question, do you see enhancement to this functionality ? Do you see some increased possibility to rely upon the co-pilot, is there anything else that the co-pilot does in real life that is not done in the AS bus ? Perhaps in the loading of the route or in the INIT/flight plan input or handling ATC ? (real life pilots may be able to shed light on an amateur, home user...(sorry  Lockheed, for me its a combination of learning & leisure)

In real life, at least in my airline, either pilot can do "it all". The PF sets up plane and the only time the PM touches systems is when the aircraft is in the air.

Since roles are usually switched between each flight this means that on one flight the captain will do it all and on the next the FO does.

Therefore there is no "right or wrong" here, it all depends on the airline and their SOP.

The copilot in our Airbus is intended more as an aid for people who want to focus purely on the flying part rather than showing a fully realistic airline SOP. With that in mind however it is indeed based on one airlines SOP but then has been adapted for flight simulation use.

If you want a "more realistic" airline crew simulation you can always look into purchasing FS2Crew who provide a very close crew simulation based on Airbusses own standart operating procedures.

One other question, perhaps a little stupid as it is purely an immersion question and potentially laughable to some, I don'k know... when I select co-pilot ON and he or she starts running through the checklist for me...the seat next to me is still empty. Can co-pilot be modelled based on selected or not?

(and if anyone accuses me of asking a completely stupid request, I will cry and consider my self being bullied by overly technical and serious people)

We would love to, indeed the lack of a second crewmember in the flightdeck is one of the biggest "issues" in visual depiction in the simulation. We have very nice cockpits, good cloud textures and high resolution ground textures, for some countries even complete photoreal coverage and high end airports which are often even more detailed than those used in full flight simulators for pilot training. However all flights, regardless of how detailed we aim to plan, etc. are illegal simply due to the second crew member missing.

The reason why there is no visual pilot modelled is an easy one though: Cockpits are "easy" (sorry Stefan) to model as they are man-made and not "natural" objects. They have clearly defined shapes and clear materials.
On the other hands side it is very hard to actually include people in the flightdeck and make them look "realistic". Our eyes and brain are very good at seeing the difference between a real human and a computer model. Creating a human model which would be seen as "natural" and "real" is simply impossible within the scope of our flight simulators. Even dedicated programs used by professionals have huge difficulties to create a "believable" model. In the end it almost always is very easy to tell the difference.

So this isn't Calum from FSElite asking... this is Calum, the patient consumer asking.

This was a project, that at one point, was supposedly going to be released in 2015. We're in 2019 now and still no possible end in sight. I'm frustrated because this is an aircraft so desperately missing from our libraries. Despite my continued disappointment, I do have some genuinely questioned since you were kind enough to allow us to ask them.

What is the actual status of the current product? You spoke a lot about some of the odd bugs, but where is the project at? I feel like it's been done 'from the ground up' numerous times. There appeared to be a functional aircraft many years ago according to YouTube videos posted by a beta tester.

I heard rumours that multiple developers had left the project. Any truth in that? If yes, how has this impacted development?

Have you considered hiring more developers if having only 3 people on the project will continue to delay the development further?

I appreciate that the project Stefan has been pulled on is of importance to Aerosoft, but does that mean the A330 isn't as important? Who made that decision? Doesn't feel very community orientated. (P.S. I understand that things happen and priorities shift...)

Service Pack 1 was promised "weeks" after the original release of the A320 Family. Now you're saying that it's not going to happen but instead have sporadic updates. What progress was made on SP1 in the first place and why haven't they been issued already before announcing this type of statement. (https://i.imgur.com/snG0C8V.png) Will you be issuing any kind of refund or apology to those expecting to see the updates previously promised?

You have previously mentioned in the past that PBR will come but at a cost to the consumer. How do you respond to that when other aircraft developers are releasing PBR content free of charge? 

Leading on from the previous question - PBR is being treated by other developers as enhancements, not whole new paid for packages. It concerns me that we'll start seeing the aforementioned updates charged for in the future. How do you respond to that?

If a 'config' file is all you need to change, why haven't we seen the A330 released at the same time as the 320 Family and then you issue updates as mentioned? Or you inferring there are still over 500 bugs in the A320 series as well?

Do you think that Aerosoft's reputation as a reliable aircraft developer will be impacted by the continued delays and still unfixed issues with the aircraft?

As the project manager, what are your KPIs / goals for delivering projects in a timely fashion?

I am asking because frankly, I haven't seen any accountability for any of the delays or broken promises. There are people out there buying products with clear communication that 'update X will follow', yet now it's okay to say we're going to do it differently. I'm legitimately surprised that things have slipped through the cracks yet again and all these status updates pretty much say the same thing. I honestly thought your latest update post would be something more of good news.

I hope this post doesn't get deleted and I get a proper response from the people I'm addressing this to, not the moderation team who don't have a hand in the project management side of things.

Just for complete clarity, I'm not actually bothered by a delay. I know it happens and I understand there's a lot of moving pieces. What bothers me is how it's handled, the inconsistent messaging from Aerosoft and just how out of touch I feel Aerosoft are with the community as a whole. I am aware you have loyal customers (you made sure of that), but there's also a whoooooole bunch who would like to see Aerosoft a lot more accountable for what's going on.

Hi Mathjis, I have some questions regarding this project and your statement about the progress. Where can I best contact you to ask these questions?

17 minutes ago, Davetunes said:

Hi Mathjis, I have some questions regarding this project and your statement about the progress. Where can I best contact you to ask these questions?

Me and just do so here.

6 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Me and just do so here.

Great, my questions are the questions that have now been re-instated written by Calum above. Thanks!

26 minutes ago, calzoom said:

So this isn't Calum from FSElite asking... this is Calum, the patient consumer asking.

What is the actual status of the current product? You spoke a lot about some of the odd bugs, but where is the project at? I feel like it's been done 'from the ground up' numerous times. There appeared to be a functional aircraft many years ago according to YouTube videos posted by a beta tester.

The actual status is 'in development', often people ask for a percentage and I always say 77.5%. It has never been done from the ground up and indeed we have had 'something' flying for a long time. But that was all A320 code in a different jacket.

I heard rumours that multiple developers had left the project. Any truth in that? If yes, how has this impacted development?

Total and utter nonsense. Nobody left, we only added people.

Have you considered hiring more developers if having only 3 people on the project will continue to delay the development further?

I did add more people, it's a team of six and not three.  Adding more makes no sense. would not speed up things at all.

I appreciate that the project Stefan has been pulled on is of importance to Aerosoft, but does that mean the A330 isn't as important? Who made that decision? Doesn't feel very community orientated. (P.S. I understand that things happen and priorities shift...)

I am not sure what you mean with community orientated. Our staff works for Aerosoft, not for the community.  While it is of course none of your business, the decision was made by me as the project manager.

Service Pack 1 was promised "weeks" after the original release of the A320 Family. Now you're saying that it's not going to happen but instead have sporadic updates. What progress was made on SP1 in the first place and why haven't they been issued already before announcing this type of statement. (https://i.imgur.com/snG0C8V.png) Will you be issuing any kind of refund or apology to those expecting to see the updates previously promised?

We have added a lot of what was intended for the SP1 and a lot more will come soon. I did not say sporadic updates. The choice was to keep it all on our disks or to release it the moment if was ready. We decided the latter. 

You have previously mentioned in the past that PBR will come but at a cost to the consumer. How do you respond to that when other aircraft developers are releasing PBR content free of charge? Leading on from the previous question - PBR is being treated by other developers as enhancements, not whole new paid for packages. It concerns me that we'll start seeing the aforementioned updates charged for in the future. How do you respond to that?

A lot of the PBR released I have seen does not impress me at all. If and when and under what conditions we'll add PBR to existing projects is something we will discuss internally. 

If a 'config' file is all you need to change, why haven't we seen the A330 released at the same time as the 320 Family and then you issue updates as mentioned? Or you inferring there are still over 500 bugs in the A320 series as well?

Because for example it does not look the same? And indeed a lot of the issues are in the A320 series. These are more things we like to fix and not su much bugs that have been reported by customers (90% of them has NOT been reported). 

Do you think that Aerosoft's reputation as a reliable aircraft developer will be impacted by the continued delays and still unfixed issues with the aircraft?

Actually no, sales are fine and we feel the issues are being dealt with. 

As the project manager, what are your KPIs / goals for delivering projects in a timely fashion?

To satisfy my CEO first of all and to make customers happy. How I actually do that is our business. 

I am not sure what you actually mean with being accountable. Nobody paid for the A330 yet and I am not accountable to anybody except my CEO. I am not sure why you feel entitled to information that we conder internal. And to cust things short these are the last comments I make in this kind of posts. If somebody wants to know about the product I am more than willing to reply (as always). If people wanty to know how I run the over 30 projects I am running I am afraid that's not public. So follow up discussion in this line will be deleted. And you will probably see that as unacceptable, but that is something I will live with.

Just to be totally clear... as you know I have always been as open and honest about our projects as possible (name me one project manager that does it that way) and though I find a lot of the questions Calum are suggestive and a lot simply none of his business (I would NEVER ask the same things about him running FSELITE) I have replied, again as always, as open as possible. But that discussion stops here and now. 

I know that telling people what is happening opens me up to these kinds of questioning, it's something I will live with. But this is 2019 and I am assuming our customers are mature. Calum will get his upvotes for his post and it's public. So be it. Perhaps for future projects, we'll simply do no previews and say that it will be released when it is done. That will prevent a lot of stupid rumors etc.

we'll simply do no previews and say that it will be released when it is done. That will prevent a lot of stupid rumors etc.

This is probably the smartest thing you could do going forward.

I have just deleted some posts.  As I said I am as open and honest as possible but a lot of our internal plans and discussions are simply not public. Sometimes because things go wrong, sometimes because plans change, sometimes because other things need to get priority. For example professional and educational projects. These are simply very important for us.

The whole idea that the A330 is four years delayed is probably based on some forum post somebody will undoubtfully dig up and rub in my face. Again, being open does have drawbacks. It's behind schedule, not terribly and partly for reasons out of our control. We made a schedule early 2018 and we are around 7 weeks behind on that (but will fall behind more for reasons I explained). 

But I am simply not willing to let this forum be used to used to discuss our internal decisions making process. And certainly not if that is mixed with unfounded rumors and allegations.

5 minutes ago, BBoyJD10 said:

i agree with @PineappleWizard where is my discount for the A330 with the same code. Its already on my PC why should i repurchase this?

You will get that discount when the product is launched. Have we not done so for all our aircraft? Perhaps you are unaware of our policy but we do take it rather seriously that we like to keep prices as low as possible and do not charge twice for the same code if at all possible (check out how other companies handle that). If you want to see how that works, why not simply check how we did it for previous products? 

37 minutes ago, ScubaSteve said:

This is probably the smartest thing you could do going forward.

Probably, but is totally against my nature to do so. But it's hard to sit here and see 6 forums users reluctantly click the minus button and not even caring what was written. I know some of them are youngsters and more of the Facebook generation where that's all normal but I am 59 and insist that discussion and being as open and honest as possible is the only way to go. That clashes with people who communicate via up/down votes (how many sim fora have the downvote active?).

As I did last week I'll close this topic so things will calm down. If people want to stir up a shitstorm they can do so elsewhere. If they want to win the up/downvotes race here, ahh well. 

Gentlemen, this is a preview topic and not a general discussion topic.

As Mathijs just said, everything not related to the A330 or follow ups to the line of discussion Mathijs closed will be removed.

There are lots of other places in this forum for general topics.

I am still considering if it makes sense to continue the way we did things up till now (be as open and honest as possible) because as you have seen it makes us highly vulnerable to abuse. Perhaps we should just do as other companies do and say it will be released when it is done and that questions will have to wait until things are close to releasing. However I did make some new images.

These are VERY much work in progress and absolutely nothing should be considered as final, not modeling, not shading, not texturing, nothing...

2019-2-5_16-4-3-648.jpg

2019-2-5_16-2-31-484.jpg

2019-2-5_16-0-46-181.jpg

2019-2-5_16-3-3-654.jpg

2019-2-5_16-2-6-81.jpg

2019-2-5_16-1-29-914.jpg

I am happy to announce it is now 90% certain we'll have a simplified EFB in the A330 that will initially be used to show the geo-referenced charts. Both the Jeppesen (Navigraph) and LIDO (NavDataPro) should be supported. As soon as more information is available we'll share that of course.

Today I had an installer made so we could make it a bit easier for the external testers to get the files in the right location. Of course, we told them serious testing really should be done on the A318 platform (we use that for all systems that are the same on the Airbus platform) but that did not stop them taking the big bus up for a spin. So why not share some of the images they shared on the beta skype group. Please do not read the fact there is an installer as a sign of an imminent release. As explained there is one other project that has partially priority at this moment. But things are moving smoothly. Over 200 hours testing on the Connected Flight Deck server the last few weeks and we are learning a lot about how it could affect framerates etc.

I am sorry that this topic remains closed for comments at this moment. But if you see that my post about the EFB that could not possibly offend anybody still managed to get three downvotes it is clear, an open discussion will still lead to problems. I am simply not willing to spend time on managing that kind of behavior. 

picturemessage_dygi2ees.r34.png

2019-02-14_16h18_50.jpg

picturemessage_irsmam2c.skz.png