SPD knob

GaryMcCl

Quick question about the SPD knob here. The SPD always seems to be set to '---', when I want to manually enter a speed using the knob below it.  Is there a way of making it so I can do that before takeoff?

Thanks, Gaz

Hi Gaz,

preselecting the speed as a selected mode before takeoff is not possible in an A320.

If you want to fly a certain speed after departure you can preselect a speed on the CLB page or enter a constraint on the F-PLN page.

3 hours ago, Emanuel Hagen said:

preselect a speed on the CLB page 

Hi Emanuel.  For takeoff, that was great, it seemed to work to a point.

To be honest, whenever I've flown one of the Airbus aircraft, I've used the built-in ATC, and therefore I don't always know what is going to happen. When it comes to  programming the MCDU altitudes for after takeoff, I don't know what to put in there - so I manage the altitude during flight by just setting the altitude on the AutoFlight panel.  You could put it that I never you VNAV, only ever LNAV.

This goes the same for the speed; for example, on approach I guess you lower the speed gradually the closer you get to the final approach.  Managing that unit I found very complicated because at one point I programmed it to take me down to 2100ft, but then it look like it went mental, and I ended up over 320knots, climbing over 20,000ft. I gave up at that point.

Can someone point me at the document that explains how I should be managing the Autoflight on the aircraft. I'm guessing it's Volume 4 - but I don't know - I'm just frustrated.

Thanks

Gaz

18 minutes ago, GaryMcCl said:

Hi Emanuel.  For takeoff, that was great, it seemed to work to a point.

To be honest, whenever I've flown one of the Airbus aircraft, I've used the built-in ATC, and therefore I don't always know what is going to happen. When it comes to  programming the MCDU altitudes for after takeoff, I don't know what to put in there - so I manage the altitude during flight by just setting the altitude on the AutoFlight panel.  You could put it that I never you VNAV, only ever LNAV.

This goes the same for the speed; for example, on approach I guess you lower the speed gradually the closer you get to the final approach.  Managing that unit I found very complicated because at one point I programmed it to take me down to 2100ft, but then it look like it went mental, and I ended up over 320knots, climbing over 20,000ft. I gave up at that point.

Can someone point me at the document that explains how I should be managing the Autoflight on the aircraft. I'm guessing it's Volume 4 - but I don't know - I'm just frustrated.

Thanks

Gaz

Is this your first payware airliner, or have you been flying Boeing?  Either way, the learning curve isn't all that bad, but it does take reading the manuals and you can also find some pretty good videos on Youtube.

3 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Is this your first payware airliner, or have you been flying Boeing?  Either way, the learning curve isn't all that bad, but it does take reading the manuals and you can also find some pretty good videos on Youtube

I used to use the PMDG 737, but I like Airbus. I've spent another day on it, and I think I may be getting there - we'll just have to see.  One of my problems is that I have Ultimate Traffic set to maximum, and it's not helping! Think I'll have to lower that setting. 

I usually use YouTube, but in this case I don't think there are many good videos out there on the new Airbus's, so for the first time I've really been going the documentation - especially about the checklists! It helped.

Thanks, Gaz

2 hours ago, GaryMcCl said:

I used to use the PMDG 737, but I like Airbus. I've spent another day on it, and I think I may be getting there - we'll just have to see.  One of my problems is that I have Ultimate Traffic set to maximum, and it's not helping! Think I'll have to lower that setting. 

I usually use YouTube, but in this case I don't think there are many good videos out there on the new Airbus's, so for the first time I've really been going the documentation - especially about the checklists! It helped.

Thanks, Gaz

When we release Connected Flight Deck, I'm sure you'll be able to find an experienced person to fly with and go over all the systems and operations with you.  Shared Cockpit / Connected Flight Deck is hands down the best way to learn an aircraft, how to fly on VATSIM, etc.

Gary, I'm going to close this thread as Answered (it helps our Tech Support Mod Team to see which issues are outstanding), but feel free to open up another thread if you need anything.

Best wishes.

Archived