Issues with Livery Download Textures

Simonm25

Hi,

Have downloaded a number of new liveries this morning, but when I install (following the read me instructions), the aircraft are either there, but have very dark textures and have lost the internal cockpit view, or don't show at all. They seem to be searching for a model file called 'SHARKLET' which I don't have? I purchased Airbus X about 3 years ago if that has something to do with it?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks, Simon

• 1 month later...

Hey man - this issue haunted me for months when I first purchased the bus, but there's a simple fix! This happens because the texture.cfg file in the aircraft you've downloaded is probably out of date, so simply take the texture.cfg of any default aircraft (keep it limited to the airplane folder you're in though, example: don't copy the texture.cfg of a default A320 CFM airplane if you're installing a paint for an A321 IAE selection, stick to the base airplane's folder you're working with and keep it at that) after you copy the texture.cfg of any default airplane in that folder, simply drop it into your custom paint airplane's folder and this should solve the exterior and dark cockpit issue. If the error persists with the cockpit being dark and all, then you're definitely missing some cockpit textures in the custom airplane's file and you'll have to manually put them in yourself, and that's pretty easy, it's like maybe two or three files that you can get directly from a default airplane's folder, follow the same instructions as the ones aforementioned for the texture.cfg for the panel issue and you should be good, but I'm 100% that the texture.cfg should fix it.

Let me also tack on to your "sharklet" and dark textures issue. The bus is very funny with this issue, and having just one letter out of place in the aircraft.cfg or missing just one texture in the aircraft's texture file simply doesn't allow the airplane to even appear in the sim. Assuming you know how to install aerosoft repaints by hand instead of the livery manager (installing the liveries, manually is the prefered way), then this should make some sort of sense to you. Let's go by example here to make it easy, because this is really tough to explain in simplest form:

Let's say you download and install a jetBlue paint for the A320 IAE model. You should know that in the download, you have to drag and drop the actual "texture.blahblah" into the correct airplane model folder (here, we would drop it into the A320 IAE folder because it's an IAE model), but you're not at all done. You have to also paste in the new tile that comes with the aircraft so that when the simulator talks to the aircraft.cfg, it knows that there's a new plane there. Installing just the textures is not enough, because the textures are not at all a means of communicating that a new aircraft is present to the simulator: the aircraft.cfg is responsible for that, thus, everytime you install a new paint for the airbus by hand, you will have to add minor configurations to the aircraft.cfg of that specific model.

Ok, so let's continue with our install.

Since we're going to install our jetBlue A320 IAE model to the IAE folder, we need to edit the aircraft.cfg in the IAE folder. Change the ending of the aircraft.cfg to "aircraft.txt" so that you can view and edit it. Once completing this, open up the aircraft.cfg, and you should see something like the tile i've included below.

You need to paste your new tile in proceeding order of the tile above it, so head to your download file, and almost 99% of the time your new aircraft's tile will be found in a file called "readme.txt" or something along the lines of that. Go ahead and copy the line of tile that looks like the one below from your download, and then paste it into the aircraft.cfg your editing in proceeding order (always remember to change the value next to "FLTSIM" at the very top of the tile, or else it will not work, ex: FLTSIM.00, FLTSIM.01, FLTSIM.03, etc...) this can cause the black texture issue if not done.

Example is as followed below:

[FLTSIM.00]
title					= Airbus A320 jetBlue N635JB
sim					= A320
model					=
panel					=
sound					=
texture					= jetBlue_N635JB
kb_checklists				= 
kb_reference				= 
atc_id					= N635JB
atc_airline				= JETBLUE
atc_flight_number			=
ui_manufacturer				= Airbus
ui_type					= A320-232 IAE
ui_variation				= jetBlue Airways
ui_typerole				= Commercial Airliner
ui_createdby				= Aerosoft
atc_parking_types			= GATE, RAMP 
atc_parking_codes   			= JBU 
description				= Airbus A320 - 232 IAE / jetBlue N635JB \nwww.aerosoft.com \nRepaint by Holgi (simtexture.de)

Your sharklet issue is simply because next to the "model" category, the word "SHARKLET" is present, meanwhile the aircraft you've downloaded doesn't use sharklets, simply delete the word "SHARKLET" if it's there, and you should be good.

HOWEVER

Some people who have created sharklet models for the airbus still have yet to figure out that there is one simple letter that's screwing everything up, and it's "S"

An example of this is the the download for N903JB, an IAE A321 sharklet model. Next to the "model" description in that airplane's .cfg file, there is simply just the letter "S" while it SHOULD read, "SHARKLET" because it's a sharklet model! This is a common error to be attentive of whilst installing sharklet models or else they will not work.

Let me know it further help/assistance or explanation is needed.

-Niko

Archived