Airbus goes nuts

Motormike

1 hour ago, Mathijs Kok said:

99% sure it is because framerates drop below the threshold we need. 

That's probably 100% correct - but it's *why* they suddenly drop that interests me (!!).

I'll admit my frame rates are probably 100% non-Aerosoft compliant, but I can't understand why I can start up, take off and climb out (with full autopilot) from a very busy ORBX airport - with full autogen, dense/complex clouds and 60% AI traffic - and have no problems whatsoever.

My problems occur at FL240 with no terrain (or AI) visible) and just cloud cover. For me, it always seems to happen when the A319 makes some transition from climb to cruise mode - where several sound files play and we have the tray animation (and also the associated sound). I see lots of disk access around that point, yet I don't think it's loading up new scenery.

Similarly, towards the end of a flight (after I've disabled cabin sfx), I can enter a busy area on approach and make a perfect ILS auto-land with no problems. My "test" airport has often been NZWN (ORBX NZNI) which is known to be a bit of a frame-rate killer).

My gut feeling (still) is that there's an infinite loop somewhere - or some clash or other that's tripping something up. I'm sorry I can't be more scientific than that :(

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Deputy Sheriffs

Please test if you get the FPS drops if you fly with default P3D weather, and no external weather engine like OPUS or Aktive Sky.

7 minutes ago, Tom A320 said:

Please test if you get the FPS drops if you fly with default P3D weather, and no external weather engine like OPUS or Aktive Sky.

OK - will do. I'll re-enable the announcements as well, as that's my non-standard personal workaround (LOL!). I'll report back.

Adam.

• Aerosoft
1 hour ago, Adamski_NZ said:

My gut feeling (still) is that there's an infinite loop somewhere - or some clash or other that's tripping something up. I'm sorry I can't be more scientific than that :(

But that would be an issue with all users and it simply is not. 

I would also look beyond the sim. I have a friend who had the same issue and while I was having dinner at his house I kept an eye on it. At a certain moment I saw very high network and disk load. It turned out to be a process that indexed his Plex database every 30 minutes. 

OK - understood, Mathijs. Good point(s).

My FS machine is pretty bare-bones - and there is very little that isn't directly FS-related on it, let alone running. I'm pretty anal about it - and keep an eye out for any processes or services that aren't 100% required.

On the good side, I've just completed another test (same scenario as my "problem" one) - with cabin/flight deck announcements re-enabled and a default weather scheme ("fair weather"). No problems at all, so I think you can safely ignore my pet theories and hypothese. It does look like weather injection may be a clue.The fact that these injections may be occurring at sound fx trigger points may be entirely coincidental.

I hope no-one is taking my comments as *criticisms*. I'm used to beta-testing so tend to just call things out as I experience them (and offer wacky suggestions). I sometimes forget this is a *public* forum.

Adam.

• Aerosoft

Don't worry, we read your comments as they are. You see things and report them. 

One of the issues we have with external tools to the sim is that they often inject huge amounts of data that cause stutters and low fps. Weather tools are a lead 'problem' here and if you do things on a frame by frame base as we do (because it is very efficient) it can cause havoc. I never fully understood why a weather tool wants to put a very detailed front 25 miles from where I am flying. You never see the detail and you never will feel it. A perfect weather tool created highly detailed weather close to you, a detailed weather pattern on your route (read the flight plan) and simplified weather in all other locations. But that seems hard.

If you look at the way the sim itself inserts new data (like autogen) you see it is done in a flow. it does not pop up everywhere, it is slowed down. That's to prevent problems!

Ok but it is Not my Plan to Flyer the Airbus only with default weather. So can we expect a fix in the next Updates or do i have to live with that? 

33 minutes ago, Jetset said:

Ok but it is Not my Plan to Flyer the Airbus only with default weather. So can we expect a fix in the next Updates or do i have to live with that? 

As far as I'm concerned there isn't a problem with the Airbus or Airbus Professional that causes this.

What likely need to happen is to reduce the graphics input that takes place when you see this happen (people most often see this during approaches when all types of scenery is being loaded... but it's all due to graphics processing demand).

This same exact issue occurred with the previous Airbus and every customer I communicated with about this was able to change their settings (or hardware in a few cases) to mitigate this.

Bare in mind that with the lift of the 4.0GB Ram limitation in 32-bit software, we're already seeing addon scenery and weather texture providers ramping up the textures and customers maximizing their settings.  This can easily result in reduced frame rates and with the Airbus Fly-By-Wire anytime you drop below 18fps this is going to happen.

Best wishes!

Just a little more information....

I use an i7-4770K at 4.3GHz and a GTX1080 pushes one 55 inch 4K and three 23 inch 1080 monitors with a LOT of other programs running at the same time, and I run ASCA and EVENTEX textures on high settings and maxed out turbulence (I don't recommend this, I do so for particular reason and for testing purposes) and I don't have any issues such have been described above.  I routinely live stream and just yesterday I flew three times is pretty darned bad weather without any issues whatsoever.

Also... it's enormously helpful for those reporting such issues to provide us with their complete system specifications and screen shots of P3D settings.  That information helps us to better understand what may be causing the individuals problem and help the person to resolve it.

Best wishes!

• Aerosoft
13 hours ago, Jetset said:

As we have to do things on a frame by frame base there is very little that CAN be done, we have faced this issue with all the bus releases since 2012 btw.

However, for this new bus with its higher FPS it seems to affect only a few people. So far we have seen 5 reports that we believe are related to this. As the other thousands upon thousands of users do not have this issue it seems likely there is a local (meaning on the users system) aspect to it. It is very hard to give advise though. Just yesterday I found the cause for one user, he had activated the RAID controller in his BIOS and every few minutes it would try to find the disks.

ALWAYS deactivate all devices in the BIOS you are not using!

On 24.7.2018 at 11:16, Tom A320 sagte:

or post your settings as screenshots I'm happy to hel!

Same to me, im pushing trothle  to start taxi, i hear the voice  of engines but nothing happens, sudenly the plane move  like a rocket, like on slew  mode forward. Fps  about 30. After departure plane start jumping about 1-2 min like on axe Z up and down. I flew from edds to eddf and now i'm crz to Egll, no more problems. Only at the begin.

On 7/27/2018 at 10:05 PM, Sprajcik said:

Same to me, im pushing trothle  to start taxi, i hear the voice  of engines but nothing happens, sudenly the plane move  like a rocket, like on slew  mode forward. Fps  about 30. After departure plane start jumping about 1-2 min like on axe Z up and down. I flew from edds to eddf and now i'm crz to Egll, no more problems. Only at the begin.

Hi,

have you read the advice given in this thread and tried it out already?

if you did, could you respond with the information that has been asked from the other users already?

I am having this problem on my very first flight. My machine is a fairly low spec, i7 4790 @ 3.6Ghz, with a NVidia GTX 750 Ti. I run Active Sky and UT Live as my main background programmes. I normally run P3Dv4.3 at a fixed 25 FPS but following your set up recommendations I ran at an unlimited frame rate. After managing to get to the cruise I noticed my FPS fluctuates every 10 seconds or so down to 4 FPS for a split second or so, and then recovers, just as if one of the programs is looping, or injecting new data... So guess what, I shut down Active Sky, and the problem disappeared. I think the issue is Active Sky ! This program has also apparently caused problems for the QW 787 with random CTD`s. There is a P3Dv4.3 patch on the AS website which I have installed....  As I type my airbus is flying stable and true..I will fly the same flight again with AS turned off and report back..

• Aerosoft

Active Sky at high settings indeed can cause these issues because it simply send a sh*tload of data into the sim, we have some ideas to smooth things out but so far they also cause all normal behavior to be affected. Not giving up on that, but if they sim is nearly halted by an external tool there is only so much we can do.

On 7/31/2018 at 11:28 AM, Mathijs Kok said:

Active Sky at high settings indeed can cause these issues because it simply send a sh*tload of data into the sim, we have some ideas to smooth things out but so far they also cause all normal behavior to be affected. Not giving up on that, but if they sim is nearly halted by an external tool there is only so much we can do.

Agreed.  Did a flight where FPS was held between 20-30 easily but midflight cruise alititude the Airbus still did a porpoise effect for a minute.   I had a feeling it may be Active Sky but more with the turbulence effect.   But as mentioned above and by others responses its probably the injection of the weather.  Especially now with dynamic clouds and weather in v4.3 it may be affecting the system when it injects the new weather scheme.  

Unfortunately no one wants to fly in unrealistic weather so unsure of the workaround.   Extend the injection timing?  Guess we'll have to ask HiFi.

• 2 weeks later...

I encountered this loss of control issue as well yesterday in clear sky weather in cruise between KSNA & KPHX.

fps dipped down to 4 and would not come back up, disconnecting the A/P did not help regaining control as fps remained single digit.

I started assigning all add ones to cores which are not core 0 so I was hoping this would help - I hope this is not causing the opposite effect...

Next time this happens I'll shut down active sky to see if related.

@jason99vmi any idea if there is a thread open with HiFi?

Thanks,

Shom

1 hour ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Do tell us if you found out what causes this drop in FPS.

For me at least, it happens whenever ActiveSky (or OPUS) updates/injects a weather update. Unfortunately, that often coincides with some cloud redrawing - so it's a bit of a "double whammy" on the system.

In other aircraft, the sim stutters - or even (at worst) pauses for a fraction - but manages to pick up the thread and carry on. I appreciate the AS Airbus A/P is particularly sensitive to dropped frames, but I'm not sure what I (as a user) can do about it.

My totally unscientific/gut feeling is that I wish there was a way of persuading Simconnect to somehow spread its data injection over a longer period of time. I'm *way* out of my depth though ;)

Adam.

EDIT: I'll try some [more] comparisons, but I think OPUS is slightly better in that respect, as I think it staggers the data send a little so as not to have a large "jump" in visibility or clouds. I may ask Stephen in the OPUS forums if that is indeed the case.

22 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Do tell us if you found out what causes this drop in FPS.

OK so I flew the same route again and BAM! over ORBX KPSP P3D crashed with the terrain.dll error.

After searching the internet I've found that this is caused by the system being stressed by out by terrain calculations. I have NEVER got this error so I am assuming its the combination of using my normal settings in conjunction with the AS Airbus.

I assume this aircraft is more demanding so I'll have to compromise on my mesh resolution setting and go down to 19m.

Issue is then some airport bridges (FSDT KIAH, KDFW & Flightbeam KPHX I know of) will become unusable due to terrain spikes (these airports require a mesh resolution of at least 5m)

Well you can't win can you... :dumb_me_s:

3 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

The aircraft should not be hard on the system in any way. However there are several tweaks to the config that i know can cause these problems. 

Tweaks in P3D cfg file?

Archived