CRJ will not work properly after SP1 update

Hello,

I LOVE the CRJ, but recently it's become an usable hunk of digital aluminum.I updated to SP1, not realizing that I was still using P3Dv4.2. I know this was a problem. But after updating to 4.3,  I've uninstalled and reinstalled the CRJ again several times (via Windows' Programs & Software) but still the aircraft will not load properly. I have the SAME EXACT problem as another user, who's thread was closed out since he resolved his problem. Appartently I'm not as clever as he was. Can Aerosoft's tech support help me out?

This is the link to the other user's thread with this problem:  

Thanks,

Emerson

• Developer

It's really hard to say what might cause the issue. The guy in the other thread upgraded his P3D to 4.3, however the reason why things worked for him afterwards might have been related to something different that was fixed with the reinstall. All similar cases turned out to be still on v4.2.

Right now, I can't offer a solution. Sorry. May be one of the other support guys has an idea. I'll ask them.

Ok, thank you. I also made this mistake with the A318/19. It's screwed up too, even after reinstalling it under 4.3.

Is it possible that some of the Aerosoft-installed files are being left behind during the un-installation process? If so, could those files are be ignored/passed over (as in not rewritten) during subsequent installations? Is there a way I can insure ALL files are gone in order to attempt a fresh installation?

I don't have a developer background at all, so that may seem like a laughable impossibility to you guys, but I thought it was worth a shot. I lost one of my favorite add-ons. I cannot use one of my most anticipated add-ons, and when the A320/21 releases I won't be able to use that either (I bought the bundle). So as you can see, I'm very eager to get this figured out.

• Developer

Normally, all that remains after an uninstall are things like Visual C++ redistributable files and fonts. But both can't cause such issues (unless the files are broken). The fact that neither the bus nor the CRJ work properly is interesting, because both don't have much in common.

You could try to reinstall the DirectX runtime files ) and the Visual Studio 2017 runtime files (second from the bottom). If that doesn't work, we're getting awfully close to a corrupted Windows installation. I helped a couple of people via Teamviewer in similar cases and for two of them, a Windows reinstall was in fact the only hope. I hope that you'll get around that though.

I think you may be on the right track. When trying to install DirectX 9.0 I get the following error.

Error creating process <C:\Users\(my name)\AppData\Local\Temp\IXP000.TMP\dxwsetup.exe>, Reason:  INDOWS\System32\advpack.dll

I don't know why the reason reads that way, but I take it to mean:

Error creating process <C:\Users\(my name)\AppData\Local\Temp\IXP000.TMP\dxwsetup.exe>, Reason:  C:\WINDOWS\System32\advpack.dll

Do you know what that means?

Also, If my problem is with DirectX 9, why does my old CRJ (pre-SP1) work without problems? Does it not use DirectX 9?

And I just checked, I have DirectX 12 installed. I'm all kinds of confused.

• Developer

Multiple versions of DirectX, like .NET Framework or SimConnect, can be installed side-by-side ("WinSxS"). Sometimes we can't use the latest DirectX because we have to make sure that things don't just work with Windows 10 but with 8 and 7 too.

The only technical things that have changed for CRJ SP1 is that the Prepar3D 4.3 SDK Tools have been used to build it (both DLLs and models). Other than that, Microsoft updates Visual Studio 2017 quite regularly, so there's another potential difference.

Regarding the DX setup error message, I don't know what it means, sorry. I googled the error message and found some advice from a Microsoft guy. Check here.

So I got the DirectX installer to run. It won't install DX9 though because DX12 is already present. The installer simply explains that a newer version is present, so installation is not necessary. So DirectX seems to think it's fine, Visual Basic 2017 is fine. I ran the stops from the Microsoft forks without incident. But still, no joy with my new Aerosoft products. Do you all have any other ideas that may resolve my problems?

I'm considering a complete reinstall of P3D. Do you all know of a way to do so without having to install all of my various add-ons? For instance, are there a few FS config files that I can save from the old install and then replace with the new or something? What I'm thinking of is kinda like keeping a copy of scenery.cfg to not have to reinstall all your add-on scenery in the FS9 days.

EDIT: It may be worth noting, I rolled back to the older version of the CRJ and it still works. So I think the key problem is somewhere in the differences between the older version and SP1.

• Developer

I still think that there's something 4.2 left in your P3D. There's no other logical explanation that you have exactly the same issue as the other people who didn't upgrade to 4.3.

I would go with a full P3D reinstall. Then install Bus and CRJ first. If they work, install the rest. If they still don't work, something's broken deeper in the system. In that case, it's a Windows reinstall (sorry for the blunt way I say this, but sometimes there's just no other option left).

I don't take it the wrong way. I think I'll start with the P3D reinstall. I hope a Windows reinstall isn't needed. To be honest, I don't even know how. I'm sure I can learn, I just hope I don't have to.

I'll let you know how it goes. It may be a few days or so. Reinstalling P3D was a time consuming process the last time I had to do it.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got it to work properly! Hans Hartmann, you were right. Although P3D seemed to be updated to 4.3 (all the places one would go to check the software version indicated as much) somehow 4.2 was running the show. Unfortunately I had to completely remove P3D and ALL my addon's before things would work properly, but once I did the first thing I noticed was the new map window when selecting my airport. After that both the CRJ and the Airbus work properly. All my software is backed up, so no real loss, just takes a bit of time and patience to put it all back. Thank you so much for all the help! Can't wait for the A320/A321 and even the A330!

Archived