Autopilot doesn't capture GS in SP1

I had deliberately skipped version 1.0.5 because I had read of the glideslope problems some users had and therefore stayed on version 1.0.4 - but now, after installing SP1, I sadly have those problems myself.

I approached EDLP 24 and EDDL 23L (both Aerosoft sceneries) out of 4,000 respectively 3,000 feet, with NAV source tuned to VOR/LOC 1 and the correct ILS frequencies dialed in. In APPR mode, the autopilot captured the localizer very well in both cases, but it just didn't capture the glideslope which I intercepted from below. I flew at about 180 knots IAS in both cases. In the end, I had to switch off the autopilot and fly the approach manually.

I didn't fly a STAR and also didn't use the FMS, we are talking about two flights where I used the autopilot just for maintaining a manually selected heading and altitude before arming the APPR mode. I fly in FSX with SP2 and installed the CRJ SP1 after a clean uninstall of version 1.0.4.

Any ideas?

• Developer

I made a little video with an ILS approach and landing at P3D v4.3's default Paderborn, runway 24. It shows that the glideslope is captured perfectly.

Can you try the same approach and landing on your system with FSX SP2, the AS scenery for EDLP and the default Boeing 737-800 please? Since that airport scenery is at least 6 years old, is there any chance that ILS 24 was a backcourse ILS without glideslope at the time?

@Hans Hartmann I approached EDLP 24 in the default 737 now and the glideslope was captured perfectly. The ILS for runway 24 at EDLP must have been a full-fledged ILS including glideslope already at the time when the Aerosoft scenery was released. And it's on 108.55 like in your video. I never had any problems with that ILS with other planes or even with earlier versions of your CRJ.  I even have a glideslope indication in the CRJ (SP1 version), but the autopilot simply resists capturing it. I just tried that one more time, still the autopilot only captures the localizer.

And that would also explain why I have the same problems at EDDL 23L - an ILS which already was a full-fledged ILS when that Aerosoft scenery was released and which has never created me any problems with other airplanes or earlier CRJ versions either. I'm afraid that there might be a bug regarding only the FSX version of the CRJ?

• Developer

I (unwillingly) made a test flight in FSX and you're right. No GS capture. Time to have a look with the debugger. May be a sim value that doesn't exist in FSX.

The problem doesn't affect all ILS approaches in FSX:SE.  I've just flown into EGBB using the ILS for runway 33 and the glideslope was captured and flown without issue.

Andy L

Further to the above I've just flown the EDLP 24 ILS (default scenery - no addon airport) in FSX:SE with the CRJ-700 and again it captured and flew the glide slope without issue.  This wasn't using the FMC just by tuning the ILS frequency on NAV1 & NAV2 and using the autopilot with NAV1 as the source.

Andy L

Please login to display this image.

I tested the EDLP 24 approach again in the -900 and could capture the glideslope - but only after tuning the ILS frequency on NAV 1 and NAV 2. If I tune it only on NAV 1, the autopilot still doesn't capture the glideslope.

But actually it should be sufficient to tune the ILS frequency only on NAV 1, right? At least that worked in the previous CRJ versions.

• Developer

OK. It's fixed (there was a 1 instead of a 0 in one place) and it's now even possible to land in Paderborn (although I see absolutely NO reason to go there :lolsign_s:)

Archived