On one occation CL not detecting engine start (GSX pushback)

On my last flight the CL did not detect engines were started. I used the CL from C&D with the copilot enabled. After (GSX) pushback I started both engines, but the CL never detected that the engines were started. Normally I here the voice of the pilot saying "engine X stablilized" (or something along that line). Also the titlebar kept telling me to follow the instrcutions of GSX. I waited 2-3 minutes to see of the CL would eventually detect that the engines were running, but it did not.

With the brakes on (so I did not move) I then applied some thrust to one engine, and then moved the thrust lever back to idle, and then when the engine had spooled down the CL would finally trigger the "Engine X Stabilized" message. I then did the same to the other egine (applied a little trust for a few seconds, and moved the thrust lever back to idle, and waited for the engine to spool down), and this triggered the "Engine X Stabilized" message for the other engine, and finally the CL moved on.

This was experienced using a model with the IAE engines.

Pelle

• Deputy Sheriffs

OK, could you please send me a screenshot of the upper ECAM if this happens again e. g. the CL does not detect that the engines are running and already stabilized....... Maybe I have to adjust the values resp. the tolerances I used are maybe too small for the IAE-engines .....

Regards,

Rolf

Sure Rolf, will do if it happens again. As i wrote I have only run into this problem on a single flight so far (think I did 5 or6 over the weekend).

Pelle

I was "lucky" to provoke the problem again, in the first try. This time around I started engine 2 during the puchback, and the CL did detect this and reported that "Engine 2 is stabliized". Then I waited for the GSX pushback to finish, and after I got the hand signal, I started engine 1. This time the CL did however not detect the engine had been started. As you can see on the ND I had the "chrono" run for at least +2 minutes. I then applied some thrust to engine 1 for a few seconds, before setting it to idle, and once the engines had spooled down the CL detected that the engine 1 had stabilized.

Please login to display this image.

In case there are "any info in the difference", here is a screenshoot (some time) after I applied thrust and the CL detected that the engine was stablizied, and it had moved on.

No its day time. The images are 4K and I can clearly read them. Anyhow here is the first (where the CL did not detect Eng 1 was stablized) in a more bright version

• Deputy Sheriffs

So finally after spending several hours looking into this issue I believe I found the problem: It is your handling (as also no one else reported this problem since the first Aerosoft Airbus was released)! After ENG2 has been started and stabilized you immediately should start ENG1 and not wait until the PUSHBACK CL has been completed......and maybe the Parking Brakes have already been set. Also do not set the ENG MODE SELECTOR as seen on one of your screenshots to NORM before both engines are stabilized - this is part of the AFTER START CL   ........ If you handle the procedures and the sequence like stated in the StepbyStep tutorial then you should not experience this problem again.....

Regards,

Rolf

Ok, thanks Rolf. But what about wither operations (icing conditions). As I recall GSX will ask you to not start engines until after the pushback has finished and you have applied parking brakes.

Pelle

Rolf I loaded her up (IAE) at ENGM a cold winter morning (in icing condition), and GSX told me to wait starting the engines until after the push had finished, and parking brakes were applied. I waited setting "MODE" to "IGN/START" until after the push (and after the parking brakes was set). Then I started engine 2, got the "stabilized", started engine 1, got the "stabilized", and the CL continued as it should.

I guess my initial problem was I started engine 2 during the push, and waited to start engine 1 until after the push. So feel free to lock this issue down, and thanks for explaining my fault.

Pelle

• Hanse locked this topic

Archived