Sometimes hard FPS drops

GlasReiniger

Hi,

when using the new bus I get only about 20-25 fps on mid settings but sometimes the fps go down to under 5 fps and then the aircraft behaves very strage because the fbw needs a minumum of 8 fps to work correctly. First I thougt it happens because my settings are too high bute even if I lowered the the problem still occours. On all my other planes (PMDG 737, 747, 777) I get a minimum of about 50 fps. I vompletely uninstalled P3Dv4 and installed it again with just the bus , Chaseplane and Active Sky but I still get the low fps. I downloaded GPU-Z to if my graphic card was occupied when playing but the GPu-load is at about 20% and VRAM is at 4100 MB from a total of 8000 MB.

I learned that P3D with the bus occupies my Core #0 to 100 % all the time but I successful uses Affinity_mask to get P3D use all Cores equally but I still get those FPS drops which make flying impossible.

My system

I7 3770 @4.20 GHZ

GTX 1070 8Gb Vram

16 Gb of DDR3 Ram

WIndows 10 pro 64 bit

Windows is installed on a SSD and P3D and the Airbus are installed at a HDD.

The question I am asking myself is is my CPU bottlenecking even if it is just about 50 % used.

I hope you can somehow help me.

Regards Dennis

Yes, really good Fps overall but hard stuttering. I think i found my culprit (at least on my system), the ND display. If I get rid off of the ND gauge through panel.cfg it is smooth as butter.

Obviously not an option to fly without ND.

23 minutes ago, boez said:

I find the same - although as I lock my fps to 30 what I notice is that CPU usage is 100% and I experience stutters but by removing ND gauge from panel.cfg  that useage drops to around 60% under identical conditions (location, weather, time etc) and of course no stutters. By way of comparison with the tfdi 717 I get around 55% CPU useage in that same scenario. 

System: 7700k at 5ghz and titan x pascal at 1811mhz. No tweaks to config file. 

7700k, wow. Sure it's not a hardware problem.

First I thought that maybe some computations of systems like FBW, NAV, AP... were causing such high CPU usage and stuttering, but after some hours testing I found that ND was the one.

Everything is smooth without it, with all lights on (Ext and Int), overcast weather, Trueglass working... is smooth as the NGX. Hard to believe that only ND has such a huge impact over other demanding systems of the aircraft.

I never experienced that with the 32 bit AS Airbus.

If any of the developers could give us some clue...

My Specs,

P3d without Addons (for testing)

i5 6600 3.3GHZ

GTX 1070 8GB

From “What's not available, what's wrong?”

• Independent Navigation Display (ND) for FO with its own mode, range and EFIS  control knobs. It will allow complete separate settings between FO and CPT (currently a 1:1 copy of CAP ND). Planned for SP1.

I don’t know if this will be the solution or if they can optimize the current display before SP1. Maybe it is something only happening to a few of us, but I doubt it is a hardware problem.

Did you guys enable the "use GPU acceleration" (or something along those lines) in the configuration options?

I think that you can have the instruments on GPU hardware acceleration instead of the CPU having to calculate them.

2 minutes ago, belkovTV said:

Did you guys enable the "use GPU acceleration" (or something along those lines) in the configuration options?

I think that you can have the instruments on GPU hardware acceleration instead of the CPU having to calculate them.

Yep, tried both with no luck. I get slightly better performance with GPU ECAM rendering than with the CPU but the hard stuttering stills there anyway. The overall performance and "feeling" of the bus is really good, maybe the best one I ever tried, long way better than FSL of course, and even better than NGX. The aircraft vc and exterior models seems to be really well optimized but the ND displays are doing some crazy stuff that makes the aircraft unusable for me.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi it is unlikely that there will be done something on the ND prior SP1.

You can try to lower the amount of displayed items in the configurator (default 100). You can uncheck the ECAM software renderer (unsupported at the moment).

Are there any other background processes running? Is it linked to loading of scenery addon by P3Dv4 or weather injection?

Have you excluded the P3Dv4 and Addon folder from your AV (AV scanning takes time and resources)?

Speaking of weather injection: did you check if the FPS drop occurs when you ENABLED the weather radar? I remember a performance issue with the WX radar with the previous Airbus product for FSX as well. In the end some users edited the ND file to disable/reduce background checks for WX change.

1 minute ago, masterhawk said:

Hi it is unlikely that there will be done something on the ND prior SP1.

You can try to lower the amount of displayed items in the configurator (default 100). You can uncheck the ECAM software renderer (unsupported at the moment).

Are there any other background processes running? Is it linked to loading of scenery addon by P3Dv4 or weather injection?

Have you excluded the P3Dv4 and Addon folder from your AV (AV scanning takes time and resources)?

Hi,

No background processes running, only P3D with no Addon scenery nor weather injection, clear skies theme. I tried ND items from 100 to 10, no luck. ECAM rendering unchecked.

AV is disabled and exclusion added. Tried also with WX off. The result is always the same. As far as ND is showed the stuttering appears. Nothing more I can do on my side I think. :(

As a test, and obviously backing up everything I tried yesterday exluding the ND gauge and everything was smooth. It took me some time to find which one was the one causing such a terrible FPS drop, when in fact the FPS are really high.

I had not this problem with the ND displays of the 32 version, and it's hard to believe that only one display can cause this with the 64.

But, if there are no more reports on this I guess I am the unlucky guy of the month. :blink:

Thank you anyway

I'll try my last chance on this topic. Sorry for being intrusive, but the fact of waiting until SP1 kills me.

Is there any chance that the team provides a hotfix of the AB_ND_GDI.dll to try it without WX, Elmo's... to see if it's something related to one particular feature?

I'm sure it's been reworked but back to 2014 something was going on with the displays also.

Many thanks and sorry again for being so boring about it.

Thanks Mathijs, but no luck after updating.

The FPS still going crazy with AB_ND_GDI.log showing an average of 50 to 44 FPS, which is quite high and would be perfect simming without those stutters, now it's unflyable for me with such a big fluctuation.

• Aerosoft

Because we do lot on a frame by frame base (because of the FBW system) and this will always lead to more variation in framerates.

I am sorry that you have issues wit the framerates. It seems that most customers are in fact seeing the opposite (as we do on our test systems)

• Performance is great.
  • the frames wow just amazing
  • Absolutely amazing. FPS are really nice and the feeling is also really great.
  • The fps are truelly amazing
  • The Professional Bus impresses me a lot. It feels smooth, it runs incredibly smooth (at least for what I'm used to from the PMDGs and the 787). It sounds great, can't wait to try the shared cockpit Feature.
  • The fps are truelly amazing even better then the older NGX wich always had the best performance for me
  • It is absolutely fantastic?. So easy to install. FPS are great even when I loaded up in JFK.
  • my fps are better than for any other aircraft I have
  • Very happy with the frame rate. Did three test flights in three different models and all went perfect. 
  • but the graphics and the FPS are perfect and the flight performance was outstanding 
  • Excellent performance on my computer
  • it runs great and the modelling is superb.  Thanks Aerosoft and the Airbus team
  • this is a fantastic model. The frame rates are extremely impressive, much better than the FSL
  • Incredibly very smooth on frames!

• Aerosoft

At this moment we have three people who feel they have lower framerates than they expected and are totally unable to see this effect on our own systems. Not sure what you actually expect us to do. There are no updates pending that will change any of this as we feel the product it extensively optimized.

• Aerosoft

I have no idea what exactly happens under those specific conditions. What I do know is that limiting your framerate almost always has a bad effect on the performance. Only when I get framerates over 70 will I lock it to 50 because fluctuations can get pretty visible. I have NEVER seen my combined CPU core go to 100% percent though. My first core can get to 90%, but the other 7 cores fluctuate around 10%. If a core is at steady 100% 

But it is all moot, as said there is no chance for this pending because we would not have idea idea what to change. To get better framerates we would have to remove things, something we do not feel is needed as the vast majority of people simply has not problem.

13 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

At this moment we have three people who feel they have lower framerates than they expected and are totally unable to see this effect on our own systems. Not sure what you actually expect us to do. There are no updates pending that will change any of this as we feel the product it extensively optimized.

I understand it, of course. But it is hard to believe that even with all the systems working frame by frame, FBW, ECAM, AP, PFD working and only one display, the ND, deactivated, there are no stutters and the simming experience is perfect.

So I doubt it has something to do with the code of the systems, it has to be something related only to that display. I really have no knowledge of coding and I don't want to be intrusive, Aerosoft will do what they believe it is correct and I will be ok with it, but only one display is causing trouble. (Unless that ND has some other computations that I do not know).

BTW, if there's no solution before SP1 on that matter, we'll wait till then. Thanks for the support!

Just now, Mathijs Kok said:

The ND contains a lot more than just the display, so that does not surprise me at all. It is by far the biggest section of code. 

Got it!

3 minutes ago, boez said:

You know what annoys me about this exchange is that I didn't just come on here shouting that 'the frame rates are rubbish' - no I spent time gathering detailed and repeatable evidence. I show this to you with screen shots and all you do is give me a defensive response saying it is as good as it can be, we are not going to investigate and a pasted list of generic comments from other owners. What's most insulting is the dismissive 'only 3 have issues' comment - you mean 'only 3 who have yet reported it' have issues.

Sadly this experience seems common place on these forums.

Let's calm down this topic please. Hopefully this will be addressed sooner or later. Flight simming is always patience. 

Can I make a suggestion, 

1. uninstall P3D client

2. Install P3D client

3. Uninstall P3D content

4. Install P3D content

5. Delete Prepar3D.cfg...DO NOT make any changes to the NEW .cfg

6. Delete shaders (make sure its the right ones)

7. Start P3D

8 Start Airbus

Then see how it goes

26 minutes ago, boez said:

You're quite correct of course. You'll see nothing more posted from me here (frustrated or otherwise!).

Ever thought about taking a job in Customer Relations? ;)

Argh, it is exasperating, believe me. After a year waiting for this aircraft to come, and now this... But anyway, it is the way it is, it should not be easy to track something that they can not see on their systems.

I'm sure that if they knew what to do, they would.

So I'll continue flying the NGX for a while and smiling at life. You can enjoy your 717 a little more, look at it this way. B)

25 minutes ago, alpha117 said:

Can I make a suggestion, 

1. uninstall P3D client

2. Install P3D client

3. Uninstall P3D content

4. Install P3D content

5. Delete Prepar3D.cfg...DO NOT make any changes to the NEW .cfg

6. Delete shaders (make sure its the right ones)

7. Start P3D

8 Start Airbus

Then see how it goes

Tried it many ways. The last was a fresh install of W10 and P3D.

Thanks!

Archived