How does the real A320-series handle on the ground

Hi,

Thanks for the new Airbus, I appreciate the work. Im interested, how does the Airbus IRL handle on ground. Reason I'm asking, is because the biggest difference Ive observed between yours and another co airbus, is how the aircraft handles on the ground. Using a tiller your airbus turns almost instantly while the other is slower and sluggish (tiller too).

Thanks.

Hi,

this really varies even between the real aircraft of the same series.

Some handle easier, others harsher.

Just like two cars of the same model will drive a bit different. An an older one will certainly react much different than a new one.

4 minutes ago, Emanuel Hagen said:

Hi,

this really varies even between the real aircraft of the same series.

Some handle easier, others harsher.

Just like two cars of the same model will drive a bit different. An an older one will certainly react much different than a new one.

If I recall correctly from the preview topic, you were getting certified in the 32X-series, do you feel the AS Aibus feels too "sporty"? Is a limitation of the P3D engine?

PS Just very curious how these handle on the ground.

Depending on how beat up they are some will pull quite a bit in one direction which can be centered out with the rudder trim while taxiing but then must be re-centered before takeoff.  There's a limit to how much trim you can have before it must be repaired.  Also the feel of the tiller is much different in the real plane than in the sim.  You might be using a tiny pot on a stick or a twist handle or even rudder pedals.  Feel is completely different and thus makes for easy over controlling of the aircraft.  Perception is different on how much you need to input as the FOV usually on a pc is much more limited than the real thing so the input you give and what you are seeing out of the window is a bit skewed  I feel.  All kinds of stuff.  If you have a tiller axis separate of the rudder then you can try playing with the curve for less aggressive movements near center but it's up to you.

On another note sitting in the real simulator with motion on, the feeling is off a bit and when you turn the motion off while taxiing and turning the feeling is really odd.  So even the real sim isn't exactly right ;-)

Just now, MEK22 said:

If I recall correctly from the preview topic, you were getting certified in the 32X-series, do you feel the AS Aibus feels too "sporty"? Is a limitation of the P3D engine?

PS Just very curious how these handle on the ground.

Unfortunately not in the A320 series, but a different jet airliner.

My company does not have a tiller on the right seat, so I can only judge from the feeling in the air and when steering with the pedals on the runway.

I do not think our Airbus is too sporty.

However what I think is that if you use a 0815 joystick with close to no resistance when moving the stick, then it gets easy to overcontrol.

Real aircraft have a really large force required on the stick. So making even a tiny movement in a real airplane requires a lot more force than making a full deflection on the average joystick.

4 minutes ago, Emanuel Hagen said:

However what I think is that if you use a 0815 joystick with close to no resistance when moving the stick, then it gets easy to over control.

Real aircraft have a really large force required on the stick. So making even a tiny movement in a real airplane requires a lot more force than making a full deflection on the average joystick.

This is true of the force on the tiller so having this extra force allows you to control it more precisely and without over controlling.

Archived