Any overclockers here?

• Aerosoft

Gents, I am considering posting some files on overclocking. As the majority of our users are now using Intel duo core CPU's and they are dead easy to overclock people can get 25% of fps for free without any risk if they do. just about any Intel Core-2-Duo E6420 that normally runs at 2200 MHz can run at 3000 MHz without any modifation on cooling etc.

But I am far from an expert and would like to have the backup from some people who do know their FSB from their Multipliers. We can setup a special forum and the moderators will get freebies etc.

Hi Matthijs,

My setup :

- Thermaltake Armor case with built in liquid cooling

- Core2Duo 660 2400@3600 for Fs2004 and 2400@3510 for FSX

- 8800GTS 640 mb Graphics card 500/1600 --> 570/1800

In my spare time I built Fs pc's for people and tune them for maximum performance.

So you can count me in.

Regards / groeten,

Gerard

Just look at the yellow picture in my sig.

The only thing I did was raising the FSB from 266MHz to 333Mhz. Any further OC needs corrections with the VCore I just won´t to do now.

• Aerosoft
Hi Matthijs,

My setup :

- Thermaltake Armor case with built in liquid cooling

- Core2Duo 660 2400@3600 for Fs2004 and 2400@3510 for FSX

- 8800GTS 640 mb Graphics card 500/1600 --> 570/1800

In my spare time I built Fs pc's for people and tune them for maximum performance.

So you can count me in.

Regards / groeten,

Gerard

Great... As many people are a bit hesitant to open the Bios and start entering things there I suggest to do it in a 5 weeks series, for starters only with a Core-2-Duo.

Week 1: simple overclock that should always work (FSB)

Week 2: same as week 1, just pushing it a bit harder (FSB)

Week 3: start using some more options besides FSB

Week 4: pushing the envelope, going where things might go unstable

Week 5: Graphics card over clocking.

During the week we can help people getting it all done before moving to the next stage. As there are many mobo's we will need the week to sort all out before we can move to the next stage. Really step by step.

Great idea Mathijs!

For those with Intel Core 2 Duo CPUs and Nvidia chipset motherboards, you don't even need to open the BIOS. Simply download Nivdia's NTune application..this program will allow you to either manually set parameters or it can actually automatically overclock your entire system for you, including the graphics PCI-Express bus - all within Windows and in real time!!!

It's available here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/ntune_5.05.47.00.html

This is a great application because you can also set up rules for different scenarios...lets say you want to run FSX using the highest performance overclock settings: simply set up a rule stating that whenever the executable for FSX is launched, your system will be instantly overclocked WITHOUT REBOOTING on the fly!

Alernatively, if you want to run in a super quiet mode and just check emails or perform word processing, you can also set up a rule to de-tune the settings for a whisper-quiet PC.

It allows you to create "profiles", from super-overclocked to mildly overclocked and run these profiles at the click of a button...anyways, you can refer to the website for more information but this is a great tool.

As far as step-by-step is concerned I can help anyone use the program in increments...

• Aerosoft
Great idea Mathijs!

For those with Intel Core 2 Duo CPUs and Nvidia chipset motherboards, you don't even need to open the BIOS. Simply download Nivdia's NTune application..this program will allow you to either manually set parameters or it can actually automatically overclock your entire system for you, including the graphics PCI-Express bus - all within Windows and in real time!!!

It's available here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/ntune_5.05.47.00.html

This is a great application because you can also set up rules for different scenarios...lets say you want to run FSX using the highest performance overclock settings: simply set up a rule stating that whenever the executable for FSX is launched, your system will be instantly overclocked WITHOUT REBOOTING on the fly!

Alernatively, if you want to run in a super quiet mode and just check emails or perform word processing, you can also set up a rule to de-tune the settings for a whisper-quiet PC.

It allows you to create "profiles", from super-overclocked to mildly overclocked and run these profiles at the click of a button...anyways, you can refer to the website for more information but this is a great tool.

As far as step-by-step is concerned I can help anyone use the program in increments...

Is that an application like the Asus AI Suite? I do use it but I find it very hard to use, buggy and about as intuitive as the Concord cockpit.

Actually, NTune is much better than the Asus suite.

It actually begins to overclock your system in very small increments, then it runs a graphics test to test stability, then it performs another incremental increase, then repeats until it finds the settings where your system becomes unreliable, then backs down from there and runs a final benchmark...if the system runs stable then it saves those settings as the highest overclock profile.

The whole process takes about 3 hours!

You can also manually overclock everything from the FSB, to VCore to memory timings and mappings. I would say it is extremely easy to use and very intuitive...

Hi all,

ich have Core2Duo E6300 at 1.86GHz and a ASRock 775DUAL-VSTA.

What would be a good start for rising the FSB?

Hi,

Just let you know, its very difficult trying to overclock using that motherboard, as you don't have any way of defining voltages (I seem to remember it being only low, medium or high). The only real way would be to use a pencil mod to modify your CPU voltage to anything higher. Here is a good link: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthrea...=asrock+775dual

If you got the time and money, it might be worth investing in a motherboard with a 650i chipset. I gave up with my ASRock (the same you have) and got the ASUS 650i SLI motherboard, and now run my E6600 from 2400Mhz to 3600Mhz.

I would also advise you in getting some decent ram. Its very cheap these days, and here is a good set of 2GB ram in the UK: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....&subcat=813 I'm sure you would be able to find it cheaper in Europe, as the UK is usually very expensive.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

JP

Hi JP,

thank you for your answer. So far I was not very successful because no matter how much MHz the FSB was raised I got bluescreens and system was very unstable. The reason seems to be the missing voltage adjustment you are mentioning. Thanks for that info! I will not buy a new mobo or CPU next time. I hope for some increase of FPS due to SP2 and perhaps next year I will buy new hardware.

I think this is a good idea; I have an Asus P5K-E and an Intel E6700 with 2 GB Ram and I am satisfied with FSX but I'm very interested to know what is OC and how OC!

Asus AI Suite doesn't work in my system and SW OC it's not as good as HW OC

i have an AMD Athlon 3500+ and a GF6800GT

i've tried NTune this morning and my GPU speed is +14%

only CPU FSB is +0% - is it because it's an AMD? while testing NTune tried +11% or so and it worked a while but then it crashed... i couldn't test it but i will this evening

as to ASUS' "A.I. N.O.S.": i've tried it and it'svery easy to handle but it doesn't work - my system gets unstable at once...

Up to today I haven't tried overclocking (except for that one time) but as you can see - my computer is still running... I'll post her tomorrow what happened this evening with NTune's set-up...

Remember that for NTune, or any BIOS modifications to work your motherboard must support such changes. Some off-the-shelf PCs, like e-Machines, COmpaqs or earlier Dells employ CPU and motherboard "locks" which make overclocking impossible.

Overclocking and performance tuning is a relatively new idea, - been around for just a couple of years or so and it is only becoming a standard feature on newer systems.

For Ntune (and other products) to work, your motherboard must support overclocking to begin with...

okay - i've tested it twice now and i'm not sure but i believe to have noticed some improvement... at least my system is stable with NTune...

so far i've just tried the "Grobabstimmung" (rough tuning) - i will try the "Feinabstimmung" (fine tuning) later this day...

i'll let you know what happens...

Cool Chris!

Yes, before using NTune I wrote down my existing bus speed, ram timings, PCI-Express and other settings, and then I ran the fine tune option with Ntune...I got significant improvements everywhere so I KNOW its faster ;)

2200 MHz can run at 3000 MHz without any moderation on cooling etc.

Mathjis, I would disagree somewhat with that statement. I feel that for any over clocking the first step should be to ensure your cooling is up to the task.

Especially the intel dual core and quads run hot, although the latest "GO" stepping do perform better. The standard intel heat sink and fan is adequate for stock running’s but as you over clock you will increase core temps and a small investment in a good cooler will return stable results without shortening the life span.

Some tools that anyone starting down the over clocking road should acquire and familiarize them selfs with:

Core Temp - Will accurately monitor the "core" temperatures of your cpu. Bios and motherboard utility programs generally do NOT show accurate "core" temps)

CPU-Z displays vital info and results of your tuning.

TAT - Intel "Thermal Analysis Tool" Also will monitor core temps and can "load" the cores for stability tests.

memtest - Error checks your memory.

Prime95 - Ideal for loading up the system for a full stability test.

3Dmark - Bench mark program. You should document your results before you start and then your final improvement.

You will have to check suitabilty of all of these programs for your specific hardware.

:)

I think what Mathjis suggests as a schedule is a good idea. Start with your CPU (even under-rate and loosen ram timeings at first) then tune your ram and then if you need to, the GPU, People with the new monster GPU's 8800GTX +, I dont really think need to overclock them at this time, as many games/sims (FSX) don't really make full use of what is there now.

Another thing to remember is that two seemingly identical setups will not necessarily return the same results.

Thats my 2c worth for now :)

Guzzi,

There are MANY well documented overclocking articles on the internet for the Core 2 Duo running at much higher speeds with standard air cooling!

Also, the Intel Core 2 Duo runs much cooler than any CPU, especially from AMD.

Having said this, it IS important to note that when using NTune to overclock more than just the CPU (like the PCI-X bus for instance) you will want to monitor your case CPU at the very least. Many motherboards with the Nvidia chipset (like the 650i and 680i) as well as many others also allow you to monitor specific heat points like CPU, graphics, on-board chipset, case temp and more.

One of the nice things about the Ntune application is that when you use the "Fine Tuning" option to overclock your system, it takes around 3 hours. This allows any heat problem to become apparent and is factored into your end results.

a pity... it seems CPU can't be overclocked... only GPU... I'll try a reset of NTune and customized tuning (CPU only)...

Are you using nTune on a NON-nvidia chip motherboard? In this case nTune (providing your GPU is Nvidia) will only be able to access the tools for your GPU.

System configurations vary greatly. A good start is always to establish what your equipment is, what is its default parameters, and establish a base line so that results can be measured with some accuracy.

obviously it does, as i have AI NOS onboard which can be activated in the bios but it does not work stably...

its a ASUS A8N-SLI Premium (or Deluxe? not sure...)

see? the above mentioned is my MB. i think it has an nForce4-chip

the prob is probably that the CPU doesn't run stabiliy because while testing NTune increases CPU parameters but after a few restarts sets them back to 0 and focusses on GPU... maybe this AMD can't be overclocked AND run stabily...

My apologies Chris, I missed the reference to your MB in your earlier post.

I believe that CPU is over-clockable, although it has a locked multiplier and thus requires FSB increases. The instability issue could be in the fact that nTune is increasing the ram proportionately to FSB via a FSB:DRAM ratio set in your bios and that you are actually hitting (or exceeding) the limits of your ram.