Heathrow at 20 fps in FSX

• Aerosoft

We claim in press releases and other communications that SimWings Mega Airport London Heathrow X is the first major airport that is fast enough in FSX to really be as usable in FSX as it is in FS2004. Too prove that I made some screenshots on my own system. I got a mid or the range system that has these components;

- Intel Dual Core CPU running at 2.13 Gh (I know I should overclock this sucker to at least 2.8 Gh but I need the time to do it.)

- 2 Gb of memory

- NVIDIA 8800 GTS

And FSX runs at these settings;

008.jpg

Other settings are all at Very High. FPS locked at 20 fps. And that's what I got 90% of the time. Like we wrote, this is the first high end major airport in FSX that totally works. You should buy it. I mean really, you need to have this.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

Mathijs,

I just downloaded and made a test flight over Heathrow. Very nice and not a big impact on my fps. 20-21% drop and I could fly with 40-42 fps at some distance from the airport and with 35 fps over the airport. Much, much better than the Budapest scenery!!!!

Keep publish sceneries like this and like Dillingham, Helgoland and I'll keep buying them :)

One question: During the installation I answered a question wether I run FSX SP1 or Accelleration (SP2). Should I reinstall Heathrow after install of FSX SP2?

Ulf B

C2D X6800

BFG 8800 GTX

• Aerosoft
Mathijs,

I just downloaded and made a test flight over Heathrow. Very nice and not a big impact on my fps. 20-21% drop and I could fly with 40-42 fps at some distance from the airport and with 35 fps over the airport. Much, much better than the Budapest scenery!!!!

Keep publish sceneries like this and like Dillingham, Helgoland and I'll keep buying them :)

One question: During the installation I answered a question wether I run FSX SP1 or Accelleration (SP2). Should I reinstall Heathrow after install of FSX SP2?

Ulf B

C2D X6800

BFG 8800 GTX

Yes, that will make sure all runs fine.

Guys, don't forget that the biggest hit for FSX performance is the AI traffic...especially EGLL traffic with ~300AI around. All these screenies looks good, but...you know what I mean.

• Aerosoft
Guys, don't forget that the biggest hit for FSX performance is the AI traffic...especially EGLL traffic with ~300AI around. All these screenies looks good, but...you know what I mean.

Traffic was set at the HIGH setting, but I just tried it as ULTRA HIGH and did not loose serious frames, could stay at 20 fps rather easy.

Guys

While I'm very pleased on the results you are achieving. In my case my average is between 8-12 FPS. I have a decent system. Where am I losing my performance? My PC is defrag on a reg basis.

Regards

Gerry

Something is not right must be my memory on my video card, my fps I get about the same thing 12 fps 8 with the default airbus I will definitely purchase soon the 8800GT 512 of ram when it comes out so that will help a lot.

And I will pick up my copy of fsx Acceleration today at my local retailer so I will reinstall everything again clean and see how fps are I'm currently using a 7800GS 256 of v ram and thank you very much aerosoft for giving us the fsx version free to us who purchased the fs9 version that was a very nice thing you guys did.

• Aerosoft
Guys

While I'm very pleased on the results you are achieving. In my case my average is between 8-12 FPS. I have a decent system. Where am I losing my performance? My PC is defrag on a reg basis.

Regards

Gerry

Always hard to say from a distance. The CPU you got will get slightly less fps then a Intel would get, but I would suspect a graphics setting above anything else, try tweaking the filtering setting.

Hi math, I have a spec high than yours and I wouldn't even bother trying to put those settings on because I know I won't get much more than 5 FPS.. can you please provide us a video with those exact settings at Heathrow to show us your not lying?

:)

Hi,

On a good multi core CPU you should be able to maintain 20 fps in almost any condition

Could you define "good multi-core"?? Are we talking 2, 4 or 8 cores??

For reference, I get around 45 FPS with an add-on such as the Flight1 ATR 72-500, and over 120 FPS with the default Lear Jet in the same situation (screenshots available for any doubters ;) ). I run FSX sans AI and AutoGen, ground shadows, self-shadowing, bloom, lens flare, advanced animations, etc. though. :) IMHO they add nothing to the flying.

System specs:

Intel Core2 Duo E6700

1Gb GeForce 7950GX2

2Gb DDR2-800

Windows XP Pro SP2

FSX SP1 @ 1600x1200x32

Best regards,

Robin.

• Aerosoft
Hi math, I have a spec high than yours and I wouldn't even bother trying to put those settings on because I know I won't get much more than 5 FPS.. can you please provide us a video with those exact settings at Heathrow to show us your not lying?

:)

No, not really, if you think I am lying you better not buy the product. But you could ask a few hundred people who visited the show at Paderborn and who say it run on hardware that is almost 100% the same. Or come next weekend to the show in Lelystad, we'll be glad to show it there, I'll even bring the machine the images were shown on.

And video what? All settings of the graphics card driver? Of Windows vista? Of FSX? If you get 5fps with a better machine then I have something is very seriously wrong. I get that on my laptop and that's pretty old.

I knew a post like mine would lead me into a lot of debate, I seem loads of FSX installs that get rather poor framerates, but we are not responsible for FSX, the OS, the graphics drivers etc. What I shown you is what I see on my machine.

• Aerosoft
Hi,

Could you define "good multi-core"?? Are we talking 2, 4 or 8 cores??

For reference, I get around 45 FPS with an add-on such as the Flight1 ATR 72-500, and over 120 FPS with the default Lear Jet in the same situation (screenshots available for any doubters ;) ). I run FSX sans AI and AutoGen, ground shadows, self-shadowing, bloom, lens flare, advanced animations, etc. though. :) IMHO they add nothing to the flying.

System specs:

Intel Core2 Duo E6700

1Gb GeForce 7950GX2

2Gb DDR2-800

Windows XP Pro SP2

FSX SP1 @ 1600x1200x32

Best regards,

Robin.

For me the ideal CPU for FSX in cost/performance relation would have to be one of the cheaper quad core Intels. They offer a ##### load of computer power for under $200, are a direct replacement for duo core chips and are relatively cool.

I got a duo core like you got and can get similar frames, however I like to spend every frame over 20 per second on making it look good and do feel AI and shadowing really make the sim look a lot better. After all, in your setting you are getting very very close to FS2004.

• Aerosoft
Mathjis, I saw in your screenshots, you have set a target of 20fps.

What would you say would be a good target?

My system:

Dual Core E6700 running at 2,66.

4 GB Ram.

nVidia GeForce 7900GS 256 MB.

You really should be able to stay steady at 20 fps in this scenery. When you pan around it might take a while to steady as your GPU memory is not very large so it will have to swap some from disk.

When that happens a lot and you really like what you see, consider going to a fixed 16 fps, as long as you are not flying helicopters or F-16 it will not really make a load of difference. As shows we often ask people at how many fps they think the sim is locked, and without failure they guess too high.

What IS very important is that you always stay a bit UNDER the max framerate your system can run. That allows FSX to prepare for the next few seconds. preload and precalculate things. Really smooths the sim down and makes fare better use from the cores your system has. If something has to be done at the last moment, so in real time' it is nearly always something that can only be done by a single core.

Thank you very much!

My sim is locked at the moment at 20fps and I thought maybe 25 would be ok too.

By the way: Could my GeForce 7900 be the problem for my problems with the Wilco 320?

It happens often when I switch to window/wingview, that I see the scenery outside, but the aircraft itself (around the window) stays grey and then FS freezes and I have to restart. And this is really bad, if you're approach e.g. Marsa Alam after a flight time of about 4 hours and then this problem occurs...

• Aerosoft
Hey math did you apply any cfg tweaks?

None. I seen some that sounded interesting but none really made any sense.

This is my test machine, clean install of Vista (fully updated), graphics card driver update, FSX installed, SP1 on top of that. Defrag to finish it off.

• Aerosoft
Thank you very much!

My sim is locked at the moment at 20fps and I thought maybe 25 would be ok too.

By the way: Could my GeForce 7900 be the problem for my problems with the Wilco 320?

It happens often when I switch to window/wingview, that I see the scenery outside, but the aircraft itself (around the window) stays grey and then FS freezes and I have to restart. And this is really bad, if you're approach e.g. Marsa Alam after a flight time of about 4 hours and then this problem occurs...

Well if it does not happen with any other aircraft I would tend to point the finger to the aircraft. FSX should run fine in the 256 mb of the GPU.

Hi there,

I suspected that my new E6600 quad core with 4 gigs of ram and a 320mb 880gts wasn't running FSX terribly well but having purchased Heathrow X and see frame rates in the teens even with mid range settings I'm now more convinced than ever that something's not right. I'm running Vista and slightly old Nvidia drivers (which I need to do to be able to use AA in FS9). Is this a Vista thing or should I be looking elsewhere?

• Aerosoft
Hi there,

I suspected that my new E6600 quad core with 4 gigs of ram and a 320mb 880gts wasn't running FSX terribly well but having purchased Heathrow X and see frame rates in the teens even with mid range settings I'm now more convinced than ever that something's not right. I'm running Vista and slightly old Nvidia drivers (which I need to do to be able to use AA in FS9). Is this a Vista thing or should I be looking elsewhere?

No not Vista, if anything I would say Vista runs FSX a bit better then XO (if you do not run in the memory issues discussed on our forums).

Are you sure FSX is using all your cores? About any cpu monitoring tool should show you what is being used.

No not Vista, if anything I would say Vista runs FSX a bit better then XO (if you do not run in the memory issues discussed on our forums).

Are you sure FSX is using all your cores? About any cpu monitoring tool should show you what is being used.

Question Mathijs which AI are you running?

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

bought the scenery for Xmas, and flew there yesterday. I have FSX + Accel + MyTrafficX...

I get between 10-19 FPS in the airport... I tried it without any Traffic and the FPS go up and down...

My Q6600 is running @3.2 GHZ with 4 gigs of ram... And I have a SATA WD raptor with only vista64 and FSX.

Any suggestions ?

Scenery looks great though and it is taxiable ;)

• Aerosoft
Hey guys,

bought the scenery for Xmas, and flew there yesterday. I have FSX + Accel + MyTrafficX...

I get between 10-19 FPS in the airport... I tried it without any Traffic and the FPS go up and down...

My Q6600 is running @3.2 GHZ with 4 gigs of ram... And I have a SATA WD raptor with only vista64 and FSX.

Any suggestions ?

Scenery looks great though and it is taxiable ;)

Try setting it at 17 fps and see if it is able to keep that framerate. If not something on your system is stealing horsepower. Could be the Vista64, I have rather bad experiences with that in regards to GPU drivers etc

After reading all your posts, I am lacking confidence in my pc. I have a pretty decent setup...so I don't see why I'm only getting about 7-8 fps. with the settings discussed here for Heathrow X.

Specs:

AMD Athlon 64 fx 60 dual core

Windows Vista Ultimate x64

2048MB DDR RAM PC3200 400MHz

Asus A8N32-SLI-DELUXE Socket 939 Motherboard

BFG GeForce 8800 GTX OC 768MB GDDR3 (core clock 626mhz)

FSX SP1+2 (not acceleration)

I'm trying to think what is wrong but I can't pinpoint it.

Regards,

737Best

Be mindful too that it is 20 FPS in external view. In the V/C I'm around 15 at the gates in the default planes, I go much higher in an external view.

This is with default traffic at 25%.

This is damn good for FSX I must say, at UK2000 airports I'm around 7-8. :shock:

Aerosoft did a great job on performance with EGLL, but it goes to show again FSX is a real hog. :D

FSX really shines in those out of the way places though. I just did the north sea rescue mission and wowzers! Neat-O!