Reinstalling Flightsim and saving files.....A question

geoffbecks

I am thinking that I need to uninstall and re-install FS2004 due to poor graphics of night lighting after a bebuilt system,...... New video card, Motherboard, porcessor and ram increase. But what is stopping me is reinstalling over 200 addons and lossing the AES credits and Re registering the payware airports like Frankfurt, Budapest London Heathrow etc etc. I have bought an external hard drive so I was wondering if I can copy my current set up on to that and the copy back the scenery file to reinstall the add ons. But as I said I am not that technicly minded and I am afraid of losing the lot. Any help or advice would be great....thanks.. Geoff

I think this should be possible but you need to add all sceneries in the scenery library. But some addons might make problems due to the lack of an install entry in the windows registry. To be honest I never did something like that. But it is worth a try.

Something different: if you changed your motherboard, your CPU, video card you should make a fresh installation of windows not only of FS!

Timbo, Thanks for help, would I be able to copy Widow registry as well to the external hard drive and then copy it back also after reinstaling FS9?? if so where would I find it ??

I think this is not possible because in the windows registry there are also entries concerning hardware and drivers, path to software and so on. I think this could cause a lot of trouble. I feel with you and understand the wish that you don`t want to reinstall all your addons and software but it is the most secure way not to get problems or error messages. I personally would not recommend to backup the windows registry and then copy the old one back because it is somewhat the heart of windows.

Concerning the FS Addons: coppiing them to an external hdd and then copy them back might work but I would then do it step by step with every addon and look if the FS and the addons starts without an error message.

Good luck! :)

Messing with the registry is not recommended , unless you are very computer literate. Probably the best way to re-install all your add-ons is the hard way ... one by one.

HC