Crash on Berlin Tegel

SAB090

I recently bought and installed the "Scenery Germany" series (all four), together with VFR Berlin2006 and GAP3, the one with EDDT (Tegel).

I also installed the free software of "German Football Stadiums".

I encountered a problem when performing an ILS approach on rwy26R at Berlin Tegel. At about 5,5 nm from touchdown, I get a black screen, and Windows announces that it will restart FS9. In short a CTD.

I tried it again, and everytime I had the CTD at exactly the same spot, no matter what type of aircraft I used.

I decided to deactivate all the Aerosoft scenery in my FS9 library, (there is also GAP 1 and 4 plus Cologne aiport), and then I could finish my ILS approach.

One by one I reactivated the Aerosoft sceneries, took off from Schönefeld and made the approach on rwy26R at Tegel.

By doing so I found out that the "VFR Berlin 2006" scenery is causing the problem.

Is there anyone else who can reproduce this situation?

I am using Windows Vista Premium 32

FS9 with Service pack 9.1 installed

Dual core processor 6600

Nvidia 8800GTS

2 Gb RAM

Thanks,

Hello Dirk,

Can you fly the same approach at midnight without it crashing if you can then do you have any 3rd party ground textures installed.

Also make sure that you dont have any other 3rd party afcads installed for the same airports as these can cause crashes too.

Hi Shaun,

I do have Ground Environment Pro installed, no 3rd party AFCAD file.

I will fly the approach with night textures and will keep you informed.

thanks,

Hello Dirk,

Can you try changing the textures using Ground Enviroment Pro.

I do believe that you can make sets and change them to suit.

Also try disable any 3rd party landclass files that came with the GAP airports in the scenery library to see if that stops the crashes.

Hi Shaun,

I performed two test flights with the VFR Berlin scenery.

One with night textures, and one where I changed the default GE Pro textures from "partly cloudy" to "most cloudy".

Both flights ended up in a CTD on the same spot on final approach rwy26R EDDT.

regards,

• 11 months later...

Hi, an old topic, but I recently picked up my VFR Berlin box, wondering why I didn't install it until I remembered: I have the same problem as described above.

Is there a solution for this? I have GAP3 (lost the box, but bought the download version) and VFR Berlin installed. Also have MAF 2008.

A CTD only happens when approaching EDDT 26R on about 5Nm final.

Hello Jamie,

Do you have any 3rd party ground textures installed also Fscene, Ground Enviroment etc.

Can you fly the approach aat night without it crashing.

Can you try disabling all other 3rd party scenery in the scenery library except the problem one and see if the issue remains.

Hi Shaun,

Night or day does not matter unfortunately, no I don't have texture related updates or texture enhancing add-ons.

Not much installed, i'm also very conservative installing software, but I will try by disabling other scenery as at this moment only VFR Berlin is switched off.

Keep you posted!

Jamie Janssen

Well I switched off every single scenery except AES/GAP3+german rivers/VFR Berlin and established on the ILS28R a CTD. Perfectly reproducible. I saved the situation at 2000ft, default FS cessna, AP on APP.

Disabling VFR Berlin SC and no CTD anymore.

EDIT: funny discovery, FS2004 minimized and it works like a charm. Back maximized or active screen and immediately 2 seconds later CTD. Hmm so looks like a Nvidia error (or texture related).

Hello Jamie,

Do you have any AI Aircraft running at the time, if so try disabling it and then retry the approach.

Sorry didn't get an e-mail that you replied :)

Will try this...

Former developer myself I decided to be aggresive on this one. In 20min I found out the 192 bytes bln-edav-excl.BGL is causing the CTD. Moving this file away from Aerosoft\Berlin 2006 SC\Scenery and the CTD is gone!

Now what is this exclude doing for Flugplatz Eberswalde-Finow?

rgrds!

a Happy Jamie

Anyway I made quite a few flights now around superb VFR Berlin :) without CTD.

I found this bgl file by copying away 50% of the BGL files in the Berlin VFR scenery directory, trying, copying half of the 50% back, try again eventually I had 2 files left and one of them seemed good, the single one left that gave me CTD's was bln-edav-excl.BGL.

EDAV is pretty nice btw :) Thanks for the help!

Cu on TCAS!

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Jamie,

Not sure what this file actually excludes, but I could try to find out.

However it does seem strange that this one file is causing you grief on your system.

Well after a few weeks of problemless flying around Berlin again, I would not try to find out what this file is causing :) I realise every system is different, giving support/development headaches, anyway I don't experience CTDs anymore. Thanks! Case closed :lol: