PBY Catalina, your chance to request liveries

Not trying to be argumentative here however, I feel I must state the following:

Along with Dag, "Thrud" also tried to point out some discrepancies in the model a few weeks earlier.

Hopefully, these will be corrected in the final release as I'm quite looking forward to it :!: :D

Painter's mind kicks into gear...

Well, I am sure we could manage the dents as well ("royal" we) - that last photo sequence shows an exceedingly loved Cat. Straightforward enough to create a dent in Paint

- grey ellipse, multiply-merge top half and divide-merge (or invert) lower half to give the light and dark shade. Increase transparency to around 60% transparent. distort

and rotate to suit - basically a la DO27...

...repeat a couple of hundred times - sheesh! she really is "lumpy" :wink: :lol:

Oh, and of course, the engine nacelles forward of the cowl flaps need extending so that the props are more or less in line with the correct canopy frame upright.

Those are really excellent detail photos there Dag. especially the one where you catch the same viewing angle as the model.. Mind if I copy your photo for myself when the

paintkit is released?

Why not the only PBY-5A in Europe certified for waterlandings/take-off's with passengers that currently flies with the Catalina PBY Foundation in the Netherlands? (www.catalina-pby.nl).

On the other hand why not one of the original Dutch Naval Aviation (MLD) operated Catalina's?

thats two for the PH-PBY (see last page)

Those are really excellent detail photos there Dag. especially the one where you catch the same viewing angle as the model.. Mind if I copy your photo for myself when the

paintkit is released?

Go right ahead, be my guest. Bad scans from Kodachrome 64 made this morning. Make sure you get the colours right, the one shown of the aerosoft Cat is not in Ex. Dk. Sea Grey/Dk. Slate Grey for sure.

If there's spec maps, bump maps are available (doesn't look like it??) dents should be all possible :D

Thanks

I believe that we will see bumpmaps - they were included in the Beaver. I understand we are still in early days with the Cat though - Mathijs, any clues as to release date?

There's excellent RGB colour references at simmerspaintshop dot com by the way.

• Aerosoft
I believe that we will see bumpmaps - they were included in the Beaver. I understand we are still in early days with the Cat though - Mathijs, any clues as to release date?

There's excellent RGB colour references at simmerspaintshop dot com by the way.

Yes, this is fully FSX, bumps, speculars etc. The works.

Can't give a solid date, but it's weeks at most.

• Aerosoft
I vote for the Cousteau's Calypso this aircraft looks very nice

And i still hope you guys wil also make a FS2004 version please

Cousteau yes, FS2004 no.

The model we got now is simply to big to compile for FS2004, we would have to loose 20% of polygons and vertices (and of course all other FSX goodies) to make an FS2004 version. Just makes no sense.

For your information, our most recent market research (last 2 months data) shows that demand for FSX products far outweighs FS2004 products. In stark contrast to what you see on forums customers simply buy more FSX products then FS2004 products.

wil also make a FS2004 version please

If yes - it must be a totally new model. Im very happy to hear about FSX version dedicated for FSX - quality and PERFORMANCE as default models of FSX is amazing (FPS - 40-70 in VC, to same scenery and model for FS2004/FSX - 20-40) so for m its very good decision to create model with SDK SP1 FSX. Congratulation! I cant wait too :D

I would love to see some old rustbucket here ... nothing cleaned and polished, fresh out of assembly ...

Some texture that suggests damage, rust, wear, ... fading colors, things along that line :D

I believe a plane textured that would look even more realistic (if that's possible with Aerosoft planes) :D

Thanks!

*observation:

many of the paint schemes that have been suggested by the various forum members have be those of a historic nature, 1939 to 1946.

now apply that data to all the discussions that occured in past PBY threads here concerning a peference of the modern version of a PBY vs the Historic version.

again, just an observation.

• Aerosoft
Here are some pictures of a PBY in 1942-1943 colors. This is my vote for a paint.

That looks like a PBY-6 tail, and that makes it very late 1495 earliest. But as I said before, nothing surprises me on the Catalina's. I have no seen 6 models in museums and most of them have equipments or remodeling that does not suit the livery or even the info text. When you ask the people who maintain them they just ask me to show them what a Catalina model X should look like. Lol. I do know the 8 books I got do not agree with each other.

But we'll sure have a model that looks close to that one. It is what most people feel a original PBY should look like. Thanks for the pictures!

I suggest, that you add Royal Danish Airforce Catalinas to your upcomming Catalina product, considerings the aircrafts interessting history with the RDAF, especially in polar and SAR operations. The dayglo and gray paintscheme from the 1960' was nice too.

Regards

Jakob Arnholtz