Airport Bergen XP - Hard to Taxi

Hello,

it's somehow really hard to taxi at this airport - compared to other airports I need a lot of thrust to get and keep moving. It feels like moving on rough terrain (i.e. no airport pavement). Can anyone look into this please?

Regards,

The3hadow

We had that complaint in another forum as well. Scenerywise everything is correct, the ground polygon materials are correctly set. 

However people often forget that the airport uses a custom mesh which represents the real elevation slope and that's an important factor at Bergen. 

The runway has a higher elevation than the apron and the taxiway elevation is rising to the northwest. 

So it is quite normal to use more thrust than usual to get startet. I have seen full loaded planes using more than 50% thrust when fully loaded to start the initial taxi.

Depending on your aircraft and XP Version there are probably differences. Note that the engine and thrust physics changed and will change in the future as well. Therefore the feeling might vary. 

Thank you for your reply! I directly compared the taxiing with other airports (with the FFA320 and default Cessna on XP11). It's actually not hard to taxi on the runway - I only notice it when exiting the runway to the taxiway (which might be caused by the taxiway slope as you've mentioned). So...if you're saying that in real life they also need a lot of thrust to taxi at that airport then this might actually be correctly modelled!

Well correct or not is not related to the scenery in that case but to the physics of the used aircraft.

There is definitely no chance to change anything in the scenery except of flattening the entire airport which is obviously unrealistic ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I see this bug too with the IXEG 733, FF A320 and airfoils labs C172.

The ground resistance seems is very high and I need alot of thrust on the taxiways. Runway is fine.

• 2 months later...
On 8/1/2018 at 10:47 PM, Tom Stian said:

I see this bug too with the IXEG 733, FF A320 and airfoils labs C172.

The ground resistance seems is very high and I need alot of thrust on the taxiways. Runway is fine.

That's the problem with this scenery, the ground resistance on taxiways and aprons. It is probably defined as grass in WED/X-Plane, and not tarmac, and thus you need a lot of thrust to get any aircraft going.

• 4 weeks later...

On 10/2/2018 at 12:28 PM, parsec71 said:

That's the problem with this scenery, the ground resistance on taxiways and aprons. It is probably defined as grass in WED/X-Plane, and not tarmac, and thus you need a lot of thrust to get any aircraft going.

The way I understood one of the posts above from Marten, he said:

On 7/7/2018 at 9:52 AM, Marten said:

Scenerywise everything is correct, the ground polygon materials are correctly set.

This would indicate the issue is not related to the taxiways and aprons being defined as grass rather than tarmac.

I don't own this scenery but I have been thinking of buying it and would be great to know what is causing this taxiing issue. If it indeed is due to the uneven terrain as suggested or something else.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Administrator

Yes... The developers are working on a bigger update for Bergen beside some new airports and other updates.

So at the time I cannot say a date for an update. Sorry ...

If I know more, then I will post it ....

Greets Heinz 

But that is great news the developers are working on a bigger update for Bergen!

Hopefully, they will then also be able to get to the bottom with this issue and have it fixed.

• Developer

Bumpy terrain (if this is the case here, I don't know) can be fixed easily with a simple invisible ground poly which just sets the ground physics to apshalt. Anyway, if you taxi uphill you will need more thrust of course, this can't be changed in a scenery (Marten explained this already). 

I made a simple overlay which should in theory solve any issues with bumpy terrain as it creates an invisible asphalt layer all over the airport. If this does not change anything there is most likely not problem with the scenery as the developers can't do much more than this overlay does. If you need more thrust because you're travlling uphill, that's normal and not a fault of a scenery. 

Aerosoft - ENBR Bergen - Debump.zip

• Developer

I don't own Bergen myself so I just can imagine what's going on. Missing underlaying taxiways don't necessarily cause bumpy terrain as long as the custom ground defines the material for the physics but then you don't see taxiways on the map. Missing ground layout on the map is a smaller issue I think, really bumpy terrain is more serious as you need significantly more thrust to move, especially if the aircraft is standing still and trying to accelerate.

17 minutes ago, Heinz Flichtbeil said:

Hello Agi,

but I think, there is a (may be small issue) with the scenery because also the x-plane 11 map don't shows the apron and taxiways (but only the runway).

Greets Heinz

That's really odd and risking to sound a bit grumpy, I do find it strange how a developer of a payware scenery would forget to define the apron and taxiways. 

If that turns out to be the case here and what is causing the reported issue. 

• Developer

The aprons can basically defined through custom ground for the physics but not for the map - this depends on the method used and in both cases you get definded taxiways and aprons but they don't show up on the map if you use the custom ground to do this and no additional underlaying taxiways. 

• Administrator

I think, that all is more a problem from the developement of Bergen from XP10 to XP11 and all the updates X-Plane 11 has done in the meantime.

We don't shall discuss it here too long. The developer knows about it (I have send the informations to him)....

And I think he can fix it and other problems.... :)

Greets Heinz

Archived