Add-ons enabled in Simstarter but inactive in P3Dv4.2

gdavej

I updated the Simstarter software on Friday to 1.8.0. After that I started having problems with P3D add-ons (those add-ons in %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons). I started a flight through Simstarter, in the UK, using an add-on.xml config set that includes only sceneries in the UK. However, it appears that most of the UK specific sceneries were set to inactive in %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\add-ons.cfg. This used to work fine before the update to 1.8.0

• Developer

Very strange because version 1.8 was just adding the schema for P3Dv4.3. So nothing changed in case of this.

Please double check your AddOn.Xml ConfigSets and make sure that these ConfigSets are applied to the right profile.

I just checked again, and I've attached some images below that illustrate the problem. The first image shows the UK Add-on Configset that I'm using. As you can see, this configset sets the active flag to true for all the UK2000 sceneries. The second image shows the UK profile that I'm running which includes the UK add-on configset. The third image show the contents of %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\add-ons.cfg  after the profile has started, and P3D is starting up, this shows that the active flag on UK2000 sceneries has now been set to false. Prior to starting Simstarter, the active flag on these sceneries had been set by me to true, using Notepad++.

I've often run this UK profile in the past (since it's where I originate from), and I've never noticed an issue before with inactive UK airports.

Please login to display this image.

• Developer

Thanks for sending over this pictures. Looks strange.

I tested this too and it works fine with v1.8 of SIMstarter NG and P3Dv4.3.

Please attach a DebugPack. Maybe something wrong in your setup. Looks like you moved over from P3Dv4.x to v4.3? This shouldn't be the root cause but something looks strange.

I am on a business trip since friday therefore the answer will take some times. But please check for duplicates both files in C:\Users\... and C:\ProgramData\... because there are two add-ons.cfg files (you may know).

I just created a DebugPack which I'll attach. Yes, I knew that there were 2 add-on.cfg files, the global one in ProgramData is empty, whilst the one in my Roaming directory contains entries for all add-ons (this includes all the FsDreamTeam addons which I beleive are supposed to be in the ProgramData cfg file. The problem still persists... most, but not all, the UK2000 sceneries are disabled after the UK profile starts, despite the fact that all add-on sceneries were enabled before Simstarter ran.

20180703-22h16m01_SIMstarterNG_DebugPackage.zip

• Developer

Looks like your Scenery ConfigSet "UK" has add-on.xml files disabled.

If you open the file .\data\userprofiles\P3Dv4\cfgSet_Scenery_00004.cfg you will find:

C:\USERS\GDAVE\DOCUMENTS\PREPAR3D V4 ADD-ONS\UK2000 ABERDEEN XTREME\ADD-ON.XML
C:\USERS\GDAVE\DOCUMENTS\PREPAR3D V4 ADD-ONS\UK2000 BELFAST CITY XTREME\ADD-ON.XML
C:\USERS\GDAVE\DOCUMENTS\PREPAR3D V4 ADD-ONS\UK2000 BIRMINGHAM XTREME\ADD-ON.XML
C:\USERS\GDAVE\DOCUMENTS\PREPAR3D V4 ADD-ONS\UK2000 BRISTOL XTREME\ADD-ON.XML
C:\USERS\GDAVE\DOCUMENTS\PREPAR3D V4 ADD-ONS\UK2000 COMMON LIBRARY\ADD-ON.XML
C:\USERS\GDAVE\DOCUMENTS\PREPAR3D V4 ADD-ONS\UK2000 DONCASTER XTREME\ADD-ON.XML
C:\USERS\GDAVE\DOCUMENTS\PREPAR3D V4 ADD-ONS\UK2000 EAST MIDLANDS XTREME\ADD-ON.XML
C:\USERS\GDAVE\DOCUMENTS\PREPAR3D V4 ADD-ONS\UK2000 EDINBURGH XTREME\ADD-ON.XML
C:\USERS\GDAVE\DOCUMENTS\PREPAR3D V4 ADD-ONS\UK2000 EXETER XTREME\ADD-ON.XML
C:\USERS\GDAVE\DOCUMENTS\PREPAR3D V4 ADD-ONS\UK2000 GATWICK XTREME\ADD-ON.XML
C:\USERS\GDAVE\DOCUMENTS\PREPAR3D V4 ADD-ONS\UK2000 GLASGOW XTREME\ADD-ON.XML
C:\USERS\GDAVE\DOCUMENTS\PREPAR3D V4 ADD-ONS\UK2000 HUMBERSIDE XTREME\ADD-ON.XML
C:\USERS\GDAVE\DOCUMENTS\PREPAR3D V4 ADD-ONS\UK2000 LEEDS XTREME\ADD-ON.XML
C:\USERS\GDAVE\DOCUMENTS\PREPAR3D V4 ADD-ONS\UK2000 LIVERPOOL XTREME\ADD-ON.XML
C:\USERS\GDAVE\DOCUMENTS\PREPAR3D V4 ADD-ONS\UK2000 LONDON CITY XTREME\ADD-ON.XML
C:\USERS\GDAVE\DOCUMENTS\PREPAR3D V4 ADD-ONS\UK2000 LUTON XTREME\ADD-ON.XML
C:\USERS\GDAVE\DOCUMENTS\PREPAR3D V4 ADD-ONS\UK2000 MANCHESTER XTREME\ADD-ON.XML
C:\USERS\GDAVE\DOCUMENTS\PREPAR3D V4 ADD-ONS\UK2000 NEWCASTLE XTREME\ADD-ON.XML
C:\USERS\GDAVE\DOCUMENTS\PREPAR3D V4 ADD-ONS\UK2000 NORWICH XTREME\ADD-ON.XML
C:\USERS\GDAVE\DOCUMENTS\PREPAR3D V4 ADD-ONS\UK2000 PRESTWICK XTREME\ADD-ON.XML
C:\USERS\GDAVE\DOCUMENTS\PREPAR3D V4 ADD-ONS\UK2000 SOUTHEND XTREME\ADD-ON.XML
C:\USERS\GDAVE\DOCUMENTS\PREPAR3D V4 ADD-ONS\UK2000 STANSTED XTREME\ADD-ON.XML
C:\USERS\GDAVE\DOCUMENTS\PREPAR3D V4 ADD-ONS\UK2000 VFR AIRFIELDS VOLUME1\ADD-ON.XML
C:\USERS\GDAVE\DOCUMENTS\PREPAR3D V4 ADD-ONS\UK2000 VFR AIRFIELDS VOLUME2\ADD-ON.XML
C:\USERS\GDAVE\DOCUMENTS\PREPAR3D V4 ADD-ONS\UK2000 VFR AIRFIELDS VOLUME3\ADD-ON.XML

This looks like the root cause of your behavior. You should see it even when you have a look at your SceneryManager and select this ConfigSet. Scenery ConfigSets are overwriting the Add-On.xml ConfigSets (as described in the manual). Please double check.

Yes, the entries shown above are in the .\data\userprofiles\P3Dv4\cfgSet_Scenery_00004.cfg. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do though? What does this file do?

• Developer

If you use this Scenery ConfigSet in addition to an Add-On.xml ConfigSet this scenery items will be disabled. So just go to the Scenery Manager and enable them.

I've just reinstalled P3Dv4.3, and to make things simpler, I uninstalled and reinstalled SimStarter. This should clear up my problems. Can you tell me though... what should the correct procedure be for add-ons? Should I create add-on configSets to enable/disable add-ons for geographic locations? or should I just use the scenery configSets to do this, enabling/disabling all sceneries (including add-ons) in these configSets?

• Developer

I would handle the Sceneries within the Scenery ConfigSets and leave the Add-On.xml ConfigSets unless they contain additional software like you use Ultimate Traffic Live and fly online with VATSIM. Then it would make sense to create an Add-On.xml ConfigSet which includes the deactivation of Ultimate Traffic Live if you are flying online.

Does that make sense for you?

Archived