The FSX exterior model has no reflections

Sar71

Hi Michael,

first of all, thank you very much for the FSX version!

While checking if my repaints are working fine with the FSX version, I noticed that the exterior model has almost no reflections. It looks as if the alpha channel is ignored by the exterior model. For a test I copied the exterior model of the P3Dv4 version into FSX and the reflections were back. Maybe you could take a look if there is an error in the FSX exterior model. Thanks a lot :)

Greetings
Tim

• Developer

The FSX version has a different texture.cfg file than the P3D version in each of the livery texture folders.  You will need to use the new texture.cfg for your addon liveries in FSX.  This is necessary because the FSX version uses a different environment map.  

Hello Michael,

thanks for your help! It looks better now but still not the way it should look. I made a gif that will show you what I mean. Both pictures are from FSX. The only difference is that I used the FSX exterior model for one picture and the P3Dv4 exterior model for the other picture:

Please login to display this image.

As you can see there is a significant difference between these models with regard to the amount of the reflectivity. It would be great if you could adapt the FSX model so that it looks the same as the P3Dv4 model looks in FSX.

Thanks and Greetings
Tim  

• Developer

The FSX model uses one of the chrome environment maps which was how I originally made the model. I judged it to look better than the global environment map with the reflected mountains and trees. At one point during development I found the chrome map wouldn't work with dynamic reflections in P3D, so I changed the P3D model to the regular global environment map. The chrome map also caused shading issues in P3D.

So the two sims use different environment maps and 64 bit has a new rendering engine as well and uses DX11 and I imagine most users have dynamic reflection turned on in P3D.  So I don't think I could make the two models look exactly the same.  If you want stronger reflections in FSX, you can always adjust the textures on your repaints.

Hello Michael,

thanks a lot for the explanation!

I would have preferred it if the FSX model would use the global environment map as well. But I understand that this is a design decision and mainly a matter of taste.

Greetings
Tim  

Archived