Joystick Assignments for FS9

StewartSky

Gentlemen: First, may I say your General Forum has been very helpful. Thank you for a great site. Also love AES!!

Does anyone know how to assign the number keys to a joystick, say the hat switch. When talking with ATC, many times you have 8 or more choices, and constantly going to the keyboard is slow and cumbersome. Using an eight way hat would be great, but how to assign? In the list of things that can be assigned, I do not see anything that would assign keyboard numbers. There is a "Select Item 1 through 4", but I assign these and nothing happens, and they only go up to 4 anyway. In the past, my keyboard hooked up to an old Strike Fighter Throttle, which had a programming function, and I was able to assign keyboard numbers to its hat. However, this is old technology (gameport) and no longer supported. Is there a "current" method to assign numbers to your joystick? Thanks again for your expertise. Best regards,

I don't think there is. The numbers do not relate to a fixed `reply` anyway, as they vary according to cirucumstances. Proably best to go to headset, microphone and voice recognition. At least we know that is do-able!

There is a gauge you can add to your panel which will bring up a "strip" with all the numbers etc and you can the just click the number with your mouse. I find it much easier than reaching over to the keyboard.

The file is atcdigtu.zip.

Regards

Ken

Ken: Thanks for the info. Will give it a try.

Has anyone tried using a "Gameport to USB" converter to be able to use the older joysticks with newer computers that do not have gameports on their video cards? I really was spoiled by my old system, where I had the 0-8 number keys represented on two 4-way hats. I have heard that Vista will no longer support any gameport peripherals even if you do have a converter, but XP still does.

Has anyone tried using one of these converters? If you have, were you successful?

Thanks as always for your prompt and helpful responses.

Best regards,