Heathrow 2008 and g3d.dll

Rafal Haczek

Thorsten,

I have "only" 2GB and don't use the 3GB switch. E6600 with ATI X1950Pro 512MB. With my "old" Pentium I never ever had any OOM, although I must admit, that I never made flights with the PMDG 747 between EDDF and LOWW, coz of too low framerates.

Bernhard Scharbert

• Developer

Investigating more in the general OOM case I came along an interesting thread at the FXP forum (german).:

In FS9 was a season bug when using "October" which crashed the FS. The FS9.1 patch should have solved this issue, but maybe

a) affected users do not propably use the FS9.1 patch or it failed during installation

B) the bug is still present in FS9.1

To proove, set your FS time to AUGUST and report if OOM is still happening elsewere. If not, it could really be the reason for this suddenly upcoming OOM issue this fall.

Thorsten

Hello Thorsten,

After I made a few test flights to Heathrow, one thing has been detected. I noticed that on my way to Heathrow the swapping file always remains on the level of 0,7-0,8 MB. But the closer I'm getting to Heathrow the more the level of swapping file becomes. The OOM error occurs when the swapping file reaches the level of 1,42-1,43MB.

So, the question is: could someone from those who has no OOM error check please what's the normal level of swapping file should be in the area of Heathrow?

And one more question if you please: as far as I know very often OOM error occurs when some landclass files are corrupted or not properly installed. Thorsten, could you tell me please do you have any landclass files in the scenery file of Heathrow 2008?

Thank you,

Vladimir

As of this date, I am still getting a CTD while approximately 20nm from EGLL. I even set AI traffic to "0" and still get the CTD...with any aircraft. And, I don't have a slow system...all of the latest patches,drivers,etc. I can only fly out of EGLL but not land there.

As of this date, I am still getting a CTD while approximately 20nm from EGLL. I even set AI traffic to "0" and still get the CTD...with any aircraft. And, I don't have a slow system...all of the latest patches,drivers,etc. I can only fly out of EGLL but not land there.

Hi all,

unfortunatly same for me here. OOM 13 miles west of EGLL, final for ILS Rwy 09L :(

The october-bug was more or less a april foolish thing..... :?

Now i deinstall egll...wrote off the hard earned bugs :evil: :evil:

Thorsten,

unfortunatly it's not a problem with UT, coz I have the same OOM in Heathrow FS9 and don't use any UT. Maybe it's really a problem with flying with a "Megaliner" between "Megaairports". Starting in GAP EDDF with the PMDG 747 gives me a OOM shortly before EGLL. Starting in GAP EDDG with the PMDG 747 gives a perfect landing in EGLL. When I save the flight EDDF-EGLL in the mid and restart FS9 reloading that flight all works perfect.

Bernhard Scharbert

I didn't have the problem you mention, at least not with the current version. I did LAX-LHR last night, came from the north to turn downwind and later land on 09L, and I landed with no problems whatsoever. I used the PMDG 747 with the BA repaint from Ben Hewitt.

I didn't have the problem you mention, at least not with the current version. I did LAX-LHR last night, came from the north to turn downwind and later land on 09L, and I landed with no problems whatsoever. I used the PMDG 747 with the BA repaint from Ben Hewitt.

Hi,

i've only tried to flew from FRA to LHR several times and it doesn't work. Maybe it will also work when i fly from LAX to LHR...who knows, but i will never try this.

Not with LHR as destination......tooooo OOM risky for me. :(

• Developer

HI,

sorry for beeing absent for 10 days (been at the MS Dev Conference in Seattle) but now back on this issue.

Finally, despite several very personal issues with installed addons like UT Europe etc. there seems to be a general problem with windows operating systems related to the so called "pagefile". At the MS knowledge base is a lot of stuff referred to the pagefile, please search for a personal solution about the following:

Mostly the problem is the limited size (4GB) and/or a corrupted or fragmented pagefile. Try to defrag or the pagefile or built a new pagefile, recommended 1,5 times bigger than your RAM but take care not to exeed the 4 GB border in XP for pagefiles or use the workarounds to get more than 4GB pagefiles (MS knowledge base)

I´m not a PC technician, but as far as I understand the pagefile is "mirroring" the acces to the physical memory and in cases the RAM memory is filled it swaps over to use the Harddisk for additional RAM. If the pagefile is corrupted or too small or fragmented (when residing on the same HD as all your programms) it could cause the OOM error, lots of people using RAM over 1GB have this times, no matter which add on is installed. Of course this error is only seen when extensive use of RAM is made, like having a combination of complex airports with complex aircrafts/wheather etc. It is not a specific Heathrow2008 problem, there´s nothing special "outside the SDK´s" that could cause problems despite that it´s a huge airport making some use of RAM. But when the RAM is limited at a "breakpoint" due to the pagefile issue you´ll get the OOM errors, even if a lot of physical RAM would be still usable.

Thorsten

Hi Thorsten,

I'm glad you're back.

Could you please just answer my question: are there any landclass files included into the scenery folder of the Heathrow 2008?

Thank you,

Vladimir

Hi again,

After not attempting any other flights to Heathrow in quite some time due to the CTDs, I decided to try with a Captain Sim C130 from LOWS. This time I got a successful landing at EGLL(RWY 09R) in bad wx conditions, but when I changed views, I immediately got a CTD. Darn it! I checked the event file and indicated a g2d.dll error this time. No other airport, add-on or freeware, has any sort of CTD on approach or otherwise.

Before anyone asks...yes, everything I have is patched to currency, drivers are up to date and there shouldn't have been a g2d.dll error either. Let's face it, something isn't correct with this scenery.

Joe

• Developer

Hi Joe,

i´m very sorry about getting errors at Heathrow, BUT:

The g2D.dll is related to the 2 D graphics, in your case directly related to the Panel graphics of your airplane. An error related to the 3D model of LHR should be g3D.dll.

If you dont get the g2D.dll at other locations with the same aircraft it could also be an error related to the combination of weather/Ai-Airplanes at an specific place, LHR in this case. Or something that you installed prior to LHR. FS 9.1 is in the ages now and a lot of stuff possibly has been installed during the last years which could cause errors.

I dont know if you like to go that way: But if you make an clean reinstall with FS9, patched to FS 9.1 and only install LHR and the aircraft you like to fly it should work. (If not, we can concentrate on just a few files, drivers, cfg files etc. to find a possible culprit). Than you can reinstall all other add ons. If errors come back again you should know whats the problematic combination/add on.

My specific problem: I dont get these errors on my PC´s. And hundreds (thousands) of users also dont get any error at Heathrow. Finally there are about 10 users having a huge bandwith of errors at LHR (OOM, G2D.DLL, G3D.DLL) (BTW: G3D.DLL not reported since LHR V 1.1).

In most cases these users also get errors at other locations than Heathrow when flying longer distances.

I have seen a thread about a user who reinstalled his g2D.DLL from the FS 9.1 source files and it helped because sometime the DLL can be corrupted for some unknown reasons.

Thorsten

• 4 weeks later...

The OOM issue (not only at EGLL) is pretty much solved:

1) make a backup copy of your fs9.exe

2) download this little tool: http://ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

3) use it to patch your fs9.exe (the tool is self explanatory)

4) add following parameters to your boot.ini file: /3GB /userva=2560

Example:

Before:

multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

After:

multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /3GB /userva=2560

5) Reboot

No more OOM errors.

IMPORTANT:

Do this at your own risk. This modification should not harm you computer in any way, you can always easily revert the original settings by removing the added parameters from the boot.ini file

KNOWN LIMITATIONS:

At present, the cloud9 copy protection will cause troubles meaning you won't be able to use *any* cloud9 product until they change the bglman.dll file. In order to run FS using the modified fs9.exe, rename the file bglman.dll to bglman.off

Should you want to ise cloud9 products during an FS session, replace the modified fs9.exe file with the original file and rename bglman.off to bglman.dll - this file resides in the MODULES folder.

Other products with similar protection mechanisms also might not work. I found out that the Suprunov Design Yak-40 and Sibwings Saab Safir are among them.

Cloud9 and Suprunov Design are already informed, and it is likely that they will look into the issue.

With the default fs9.exe, these add ons work normally. It is not nesessary to remove the parameters from the boot.ini file in order to use those products.

• 4 weeks later...

Nick, your suggestion about the boot.ini above....does this apply to 32 bit systems with 2G of ram as well?

I have been able to shoot one ILS approach to RWY 27L with the Flight1 ATR-72. Try using PMDG 747 or LDS 767, forget it. CTD. This is the only payware airport I have that I cannot make a successful approach without having a CTD or OOM error. Sure, I can fly out of EGLL all day long without problems. It's flying TO EGLL that really irks me.

Thanks, I'll give it a go...

Before I go through this process, as mentioned above about the FS9.exe modification, will the modification work with the no cd patch version? That's primarily what I use now, but I do have a back up of the original .exe. I was wondering if modifying it would cause some problems.

Hi All

Been using EGLL 2008 in FS9 since a month after it first released. I have had absolutely no problems with OOM or g2 and g3d errors as of yet! I have various addons running also including:

-Active Sky v6

-FS AI Seperation

-Visual Flight London Scenery

-Visual Flight Terrain

-Just Flight VFR scenery

-Every UK2000 Airport Scenery including Extreme EGKK, EGSS etc

-Visual Flight Farnborough

-World Airports EGGW

-AI Traffic set to 100%

-FS Navigator 4

However I do get the FE.DLL error at Aerosofts Mega EDDF and New Spanish Airports LEMD. This error is not too frequent on my sim and only appears when I place stress on my system such as loading a new Aircraft when AI and Scenery is loading etc. Not only that but I have AS6 and FSAIS working in the background also!

I did have problems before where I would get system freezes, CTD's and the g2/g3d errors in the London area when I was using not using EGLL 08. I also had regular problems in the Canary Islands area when using Sim-Wings Canary Islands. But I have solved these issues after a years trying.

In my case I solved the issue by using 2GB RAM rather that 4GB and by not using the deffault FS9 GPS/Flight Planner. Mine had some how became corrupt and I found the GPS gave me instant CTD's. Even those panels with the built in GPS gave me problem so I removed the GPS from those panels. I have now had an almost problem free FS9 experience. Just the rare FE.DLL Error in the locations I mentioned.

Not sure if this will solve your problems but Just thought I would share it with you anyway, Just another avenue to look at for causes!

Thanks

James

System Spec =

XP Pro

AMD64 X2 4200

Winfast NF4SK8AA S939 Mobo

Corsair 620W PSU

Corsair DDR Twinx 3200pt 2GB

EVGA Nividia 7950GX2 1GB

2X Maxtor 250GB HDD

• 1 month later...

Hello!

I tried the 4GB-Patch today, but got an error when trying to patch the fs9.cfg:

It says (in german): 4gb_patch.exe has detected a problem and has to be closed.

Why is this happening? I am using the nocd patch for fs9.exe

Thanks!

Hello!

I tried the 4GB-Patch today, but got an error when trying to patch the fs9.cfg:

It says (in german): 4gb_patch.exe has detected a problem and has to be closed.

Why is this happening? I am using the nocd patch for fs9.exe

Thanks!

It has nothing to do with the noCD patch, try re-installing/downloading the 4gb patch file. If that doesn't work, patch the fs9.exe on a different machine and copy it back to the one where the patching doesn't work.

• 1 year later...

Oliver

I have had repeated trouble holding the ILS on approach for 27R and 9R today.

Please could you advise how I can get a copy of

your amended AFCAD which seems to solve this?

Thanks Ferg