Heathrow 2008 and g3d.dll

Rafal Haczek

• Developer

Me again :-)

Just setup new AFCAD files were the user modified ILS are removed and the FS uses ONLY THE DEFAULT ILS. Maybe there´s an issue with not overwriting the default AFCAD correctly as this is done by the ILS designation IAA (for instance) which is causing some trouble.

Maybe you can give this new files a try...

@vvb

When you look inside the Heathrow2008/scenery directory v.1.1 contains 156 files (with static aircrafts 162). V1.0 contains 143 (149) files.

2 Questions:

Are you using Vista?

Could you repeat the flight with one of these option:

a) temporarily remove the AFCAD file AF2_EGLL_simwings.bgl to somewhere outside FS9 (Then it´s only using the default AFCAD file)

B) temporarily remove every file of heathrow2008/scenery DESPITE this

AF2_EGLL_simwings.bgl.

Thorsten

Hello again,

1. Regarding version definition - that's clear, thank you, I'll check it out.

2. No, I don't. I'm using Windows XP SP2

3. Let me firstly give a try the new ILS correction AFCAD file that you've just attached. If I'm unlucky again then I'll start experiments that you suggested. I can do it tonight and then will report you about results.

Vladimir

It´s hard to find. When you open the Navaid listing in AFCAD you can see that ILS09L is not listed, but in the visual modell you can see it. Entering the Runway Properties for 09L/27R shows an empty entry for 09L ILS designation, that should be IAA instead
Now I see. I'll check that tonight when I'm back home from work.

When you open the Navaid listing in AFCAD you can see that ILS09L is not listed, but in the visual modell you can see it. Entering the Runway Properties for 09L/27R shows an empty entry for 09L ILS designation, that should be IAA instead
OK, Thorsten, I just had a chance to check that, and noticed that in the Navaid listing in AFCAD, IAA is listed.

navaidsay8.jpg

I have no idea why it does appear in my v1.10 installation, and not in others. Maybe the file that was used for the download through Simmarket was different from the one used on the Aerosoft site, or maybe it got changed on both sites with certain other updates that were later done.

Thorsten,

Success at last ! this afternoon I replaced the AFCAD with the new one you posted earlier and flew 2 successful LOWW-EGLL flights using a saved AS file that before was guaranteed to cause a .DLL error.

Oh happy days, thanks for your continued effort to solve this problem

John

Hello Thorsten again,

One more strange thing has been found: it turns out that the OOM error occurs after a certian distance or/and flight time. I didn't replace the afcad file with the last one you posted and I made a flight from Brussels to Heathrow, which took something about 30-40 minutes and the distance about 200 miles. No OOM error has occured. The second flight I made was from Vienna to Heathrow, which took about 2 hours and the distance was about 700 miles. Also no OOM error has occured. In both flights I used rwy 09L for landing. Tonight, if I can, I'm gonna try to make more longer flight to see what would happen.

Hope this information might help you to find the solution.

Regards,

Vladimir

• Developer

Only one other tip, when you still have problems: May you can check, if you have the newest FSUIPC Version installed. Don't know if this has a relation to the OOM, but maybe.

Hmmm strange things have been happening to me.

I have made several flights to and from Heathrow I think with both v1.0 and v1.1 using the LDS767, ASV6 and full AI with no problem....in fact they have been very enjoyable!.

Over the last two days I have made two attempts to depart London Gatwick for Lagos Nigeria with LDS767, ASV6 but no AI and have got the dreaded black screen after entering the Channel.

I decided (after reading this post) to try disabling Heathrow and lo and behold no black screen!

So now I will have to do more tests to see if LHR is the culprit.

Ed

Ed3.jpg

Strange to read Ed's report indeed. For what it's worth, LDS 767 never gave me any problems around and in Heathrow. I have just completed a long flight from Indira Ghandi VIDP in the PMDG 744, which always without exception gave me an OOM on approach to Heathrow.

Today, with the latest AFCAD, I made it! The Virgin (Atlantic) is resting at gate 591 after an eventful flight featuring engine problems, severe turbulence, lack of fuel and crazy drivers. :)

The page file was at it's usual 1.1 Gb on approach, I had full AI (around 100 AC on the AI radar), real weather with ASv6.5, RC4, FS FK and TrackIR. Not a hickup!

Thanks for the AFCAD, Thorsten! :)

Regards,

Jure

• Developer

@Ed

Just a note: When starting in Gatwick and heading to the Channel not a single bit of Heathrow 2008 is loaded into the sim as it is simply too far away. The area of the Heathrow AFCAD file has the highest "visibility" range of all Heathrow files, but the border in direction to Gatwick is near BIG (Biggins) VOR, also quite far away.

But anyway, any new hint about OOM´s happening at several locations and referred to totally different add ons for the UK is highly appreciated.

Thorsten

Hello Thorsten again,

I'm afraid that very soon all Vatsim controllers of London and Heathrow airspace will hate me or I'll be adviced to contact the psychiater. :D Over the last few days I've been making a several on-line flights to Heathrow, each has ended up with my words: "Sorry, I've got the OOM error and I have to quit". Evidently they think I'm jeering at them. :lol:

Anyway here are my last results:

1. I installed the very last Afcad file you posted and made the flight by Wilco's B737. That time I was approacjing to rwy 27R. Firstly everything was going well during the approach. I fully established on the ILS and normally continued the approach. But approximately 5-6 miles up to touchdown the textures of all aircraft panels (I'm flying in the virtual cockpit) had become degraded. After 5-10 seconds the panels textures restored. But 1-2 miles to touchdown the panels textures had become degraded again and after that the error occured. So I quitted the game just a few moments prior to landing.

2. Suspecting some error issues in Wilco's B737, I took another aircraft - Level-D B767 and made the flight to Heathrow. At this time I've got the OOM error while in approach quite far away from the ILS intercetion zone. The error occured just a few miles away from the LAM VOR when I was procceding with LAM3A approach.

So, to resume the matter, I would say the ILS is not the culprit. Or not only the ILS. To all appearances there is any conflict between some textures or something like that.

Hope my story will help you.

Regards,

Vladimir

• Developer

(für deutsch runterscrollen)

Hi,

just a note about UT Europe and Heathrow OOM´s: It seems that there are really some issues of UT Europe and Canada to cause OOM´s due to the following reasons:

-Coastlines

-Railways (seasons)

-Missing textures

Heathrow itself is not the culprit, it´s just the water drop causing the (by UT errors filled) memory to overflow while approaching to the airport.

I, as author of Heathrow cannot make any changes. The OOM also happens with other add ons in combination with UT.

When you look in the UT forum thread:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_post...D=130639#130639

you can seee that the errors are mostly identified and they promise to make a patch.

Thorsten

Hi,

es gibt anscheinend leider wirklich Probleme bei UT Europe, das hat mit Heathrow an sich nichts zu tun, außer, dass dann das Problem, dass UT Europe verursacht hier zu tage tritt. Also quasi das letzte bit ist, was den Speicher, der von UT überladen wurde, überlaufen lässt. (Der berühmte Wassertropfen...).

Wenn man im Forum von UT schaut, dann sind es wohl mehrere Ursachen im FS9 bei UT Canada und UT Europe:

- Küstenlinien

- Railways (seasons)

- Fehlende Texturen.

Mal ein link auf einen Thread aus dem UT Forum vom 27.10:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_post...D=130639#130639

So gesehen möchte man das Problem bei UT mit einem Patch angehen, wenn die X Versionen fertig sind.

Ich als Author von Heathrow kann da leider gar nichts machen, es passiert, wie zuvor zu lesen, mit vielen Add ons.

Thorsten, sim-wings

Thorsten,

unfortunatly it's not a problem with UT, coz I have the same OOM in Heathrow FS9 and don't use any UT. Maybe it's really a problem with flying with a "Megaliner" between "Megaairports". Starting in GAP EDDF with the PMDG 747 gives me a OOM shortly before EGLL. Starting in GAP EDDG with the PMDG 747 gives a perfect landing in EGLL. When I save the flight EDDF-EGLL in the mid and restart FS9 reloading that flight all works perfect.

Bernhard Scharbert

• Developer

@Bernhard

Please try to repeat the flight without AI traffic (set to 0%) and/or without Active Sky.

Of course it´s possible to get OOM´s even without UT Europe, due to lot of other reasons (AI-aircrafts have a missing texture, Landclass files searching constantly for a missing texture) or simply too much that is loaded into memory when using too many add ons at once.

But one thing makes me really wondering: Since few weeks everywere are reports about OOM errors, simply elsewere with more or less any add on or default. Possibly there were made some changes in the XP updates to alter the memory usage? (just a thought, as Vista is currently causing lots of OOM´s with FSX due to the memory usage)

Thorsten

@Bernhard

Thorsten

Thorsten thanks for the support but some facts :-)

- OOM only with EGLL 2008

- With EHAM or EDDF or LFPG or EBBR which are major hubs to no problems...

- When starting a flight form EGKK / EGSS / EGDD no problems

- With default EGLL no OOM ;-)

Tested with different complex add on aircraft ;-)

Going to conduct several tests with AI and with different times on the same day and will report back...

Local situations at my PC and config never had any OOM even with default EGLL no OOM with same flight and time schedules...

Only OOM with EGLL 2008 enabled...

@Thorsten

that's what I thought also....must be some changing from somewhere. Maybe a new virus: OOM.......very serious and very bad !!!! :roll:

I don't used active sky, only FS weather. I had never ever problems with AI. But it's really strange...never ever before so much OOMs!

@Andre

that's not true......I have to admit also having OOM in a flight from EDDF to LOWW :oops:

Bernhard Scharbert

• Developer

@andre

you wrote: "Changed the AFCAD to the test patch one + changed the FREQ of 9 L and R

Did a test flight from EDDF > EGLL with ASV 6.5 and both AES activated

97 % AI

Flight went well and no CTD nice landing on 27R"

I´m a bit confused. Is the error back now? Thought it was solved that way.

Anyway: As I wrote, PLEASE disable AI-Traffic completely during the test flight when flying to EGLL2008 as it really could be an error caused by an AI-aircraft that ONLY shows up on EGLL2008 (and not on the default as there are only a few parking spots) . And it does not show in Gatwick, Frankfurt or elsewere. Just Heathrow! One missing or corrupt texture of an AI-aircraft is enough to cause the sim to hang.

The Heathrow scenery uses techniques that are very common and used by all other airport add ons as well. Nothing tricky or unusable.

Thorsten

Me too, Thorsten, I have neither UT Europe, nor AI traffic, nor some other sceneries, installed in the area of UK except EGLL 2008.

Tonight I'm gonna try the flight without Active Sky and will report back.

Concerning your supposition about the real lack of memory for too much add-ons installed, I believe it's not the reason. For example, I have the following PC config (I'm still using FS2004):

Windows XP SP2

2 video cards (SLI) 768Mb PCI-E 8800GTX TV 2xDVI + Ageia PhysX

Power - ATX 1000W FSP Kingcraft, 20+4-pin, Active PFC, Fan 12cm

Motherboard - Abit IN9 32X-MAX WiFi Socket775, nForce680i SLI, DDRII-800, FSB1333, PCI-E, SLI, Sound, USB2.0, SATA, 2xLAN1000, WiFi, ATX

RAM - 4x1024Mb PC2-6400 800MHz DDR2 DIMM Corsair XMS2 BOX

Processor - Intel Original LGA775 Core2Extreme-QX6700 (2660/1066/8Mb).

As you can see this config could easily stand 3 simulators working at once. So, due to my longstanding experience, I'm really sure the OOM error is the consequence of the conflict between Heathrow and some other add-on(s).

Regards,

Vladimir

• Developer

@vvb

If you like you can try to delete or remove the EGLL BGL´s in blocks of 10 until you possibly find out which BGL should cause the trouble on your PC.

I can assure that hundreds of users are using the scenery without any problem. But as long as I cannot reproduce the error, I cannot make any changes. And as said: In Heathrow are just ordinary BGL´s like used in many other sceneries. Nothing special.

Thorsten

@vvb

If you like you can try to delete or remove the EGLL BGL´s in blocks of 10 until you possibly find out which BGL should cause the trouble on your PC.

I can assure that hundreds of users are using the scenery without any problem. But as long as I cannot reproduce the error, I cannot make any changes. And as said: In Heathrow are just ordinary BGL´s like used in many other sceneries. Nothing special.

Thorsten

Ok Thorsten, that's clear. I'll try to do my best. But it'll take time, 'cause I can reproduce the error only if I'm flying the certain period of time and distance as I posted before.

Vladimir.

• Developer

Maybe you can use MemStatus by Kevin Reems (just google). This shows you the amount of Memory used. I tested it with LHR, PMDG747 and 100% MyTraffic AI and the graphic memory never exeed 80 MB. But the RAM went up to 99% (on an old P3.2 with 1024 RAM). But anyway this was no problem as the FS is starting to use the HD instead of the RAM. So no OOM.

But maybe you can see what happens with your Memory when flying long distances. Perhaps you discover that approaching to Heathrow the Memory is filled up constantly during the journey you make... until it "explodes" .

Thorsten

• Aerosoft
Maybe you can use MemStatus by Kevin Reems (just google). This shows you the amount of Memory used. I tested it with LHR, PMDG747 and 100% MyTraffic AI and the graphic memory never exeed 80 MB. But the RAM went up to 99% (on an old P3.2 with 1024 RAM). But anyway this was no problem as the FS is starting to use the HD instead of the RAM. So no OOM.

But maybe you can see what happens with your Memory when flying long distances. Perhaps you discover that approaching to Heathrow the Memory is filled up constantly during the journey you make... until it "explodes" .

Thorsten

That's on XP right? On Vista the OS will start using any excess memory for other purposes.

@Bernhard sorry to hear that you have the issue at more places...

I'm just reporting back the situation on my local PC :wink:

I never had a OOM in FS history on my local systems through history :wink:

So just reporting back and hoping it's useful to solve this one...

This stunning scenery is my startup hub now and that says a lot :D

@Thorsten

It's only the available time for proper testing to report back :cry:

Had last night a CTD and departing from Heathrow... maybe the update of the PMDG queen is there the problem?

Going to do a test with another add-on and as promised the AI stuff...

But need some time to do it properly

So thank you in advance for the already great support here :D

• Developer

@mathjis

Yes it´s XP.

@awf

If only I had that error..... I could investigate further myself

@all

One thing that is quite visible for me: All effected users having OOM´s NOT related to UT Europe/AI-Traffic/AFCAD are using high advanced systems with 3 or 4 Gig of Ram. (Or am I wrong?).

Maybe this is an issue of XP related to the RAM. Not sure if you´re using the "3 GB" switch for XP or not. But also using it could cause problems that can be solved by assigning less memory to the user.

Could you investigate more in this direction? My perfectly running System has only got 2GB (the older one just 1 GB)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833721/EN-US/

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316739/EN-US/

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q319043

Thorsten