How to do a long haul with INS

nintendojezz

Hey all... again
So I wanted to start a long haul from the top of Aus to Kai Tak. As i left everything went fine, but obviously when i reached WPT 9, it then started to do a perfect circle for a few hours then crash in the sea from fuel starvation. I'm wondering if there is a way to do a long haul, and how one would be able to change the way points in the INS?

Still falling in love with this aircraft

Thanks all!

• Developer
4 hours ago, nintendojezz said:

but obviously when i reached WPT 9, it then started to do a perfect circle for a few hours then crash in the sea from fuel starvation

It's not obvious to me why it would do that.  The waypoints should cycle and start from zero again. Did you change something on the flight plan loader (shift-2)?  If you simply leave it on auto, it should handle going past waypoint 9. 

So ive just hit another roadblock. The Flight plan isn't loading in the INS.
I'm doing the proper INS procedure and even loading the flight plan from the Scenario page in P3D but it just wont do it :/

Is there anything to do to make it work? (I know about adding the routes manually but this for the long haul)

This is an interesting topic. I also cannot make the INS work. I have been using it ever since CIVA was introduced in FS9 more than 10 years ago. I have used it in the CS 307 including the ADEU so you could fly long hauls without having to switch to INS or insert WP along the flight. But for some reason, the DC8 INS take for ever to reach condition 5. Last time I quit after waiting for 55 minutes which is abnormally high. 

So what I did yesterday was the following:

1. Loaded the Tutorial. And as always the planed loaded with all the engines running.

2. Changed the plane for the United livery and placed it in my home airport SVMC, inserted 8 new WP from SVMC to KLAX and saved a new Scenario.

3. Loaded the new Scenario and for sure the 4 engines running and after 10 seconds all systems active.

4. Started flight and it was good. If I had more than 9 WP I would use INS 2 for the next 9. Otherwise I use INS1 for the Distance and INS 2 for Heading. I didn't use the Flight Plan Loader this time.

At the beginning I selected the AUX NAV position in the Navigation Selector but for some reason it did not followed the planed flight path so I repositioned it to LOC/VOR and it worked. Later on the flight I tried again with the AUX NAV and this time it worked fine so I kept it selected for all the flight. 

By the way, do not forget to switch the Input selector from RADIO to INS.

But this is not the way it should be.

Here are a couple of shots showing both INS share the same data by use of the REMOTE key and the same 19 NM to the next WP.

Please login to display this image.

Please login to display this image.

5 hours ago, nintendojezz said:

The Flight plan isn't loading in the INS.

Check that your FP is of type IFR High Altitude Airways or IFR Low Altitude Airways. VOR to VOR type will load the waypoints into DME slots only. See the example in the INS manual, page 51.

Tom

2 hours ago, hectorp said:

Last time I quit after waiting for 55 minutes which is abnormally high

You need to enter the present position for the align process to reach condtion 5.

If I had more than 9 WP I would use INS 2 for the next 9

In a real situation, that is a NO NO. Same coordinates MUST be loaded in both units - that's what the REMOTE key is used for -. Therefore, if one unit fails in flight aircraft can still follow the flight plan.

At the beginning I selected the AUX NAV position in the Navigation Selector but for some reason it did not followed the planed flight path

There's always a reason for not following the flight path. Was the aircraft flying way off track, in HDG mode? When AUX NAV was selected, did it started a turn? (I assume AP was on).

Tom

29 minutes ago, taguilo said:

Check that your FP is of type IFR High Altitude Airways or IFR Low Altitude Airways. VOR to VOR type will load the waypoints into DME slots only. See the example in the INS manual, page 51.

Tom

Hey tom, All the flight plans i use have been exported from Simbrief, which show as High Altitude Airways.
Its just become a disaster with this flight haha.

So managed to get it loaded and everything, and it does manage to follow it.... only if i load it and shut off the engines. This is the only way for me apparently, if its in Cold and Dark it refuses to load. If i do it this way (Load and shut off engines) the battery wont engage and the aircraft just shuts down on me.

I just want to make it to Asia :P

EDIT: managed to get the route to be pre loaded in the INS after going to Cold and Dark... wish me luck!

REJOICE!
So i managed to get it working! What you have to do is, load the DC8, Load your flight plan from the planner, Set the aircraft to Cold and Dark, Reload the aircraft from the aircraft page and Bob's Your Uncle...She works! Route in there roaring to go! 
I had a minor hiccup with the INS following the route, Hectorp's method of setting LOC/VOR then to AUX NAV fixed it. Now we wait and see if we make it past the 9th Waypoint!

Thanks all!

Guys, I made it!
So i feel like the new update might have fixed some of the issues. Manged to make it all the way to Kai Tak!
Only minor issue i had was that the Autopilot sort of disconnected itself though the flight, i will have to work out if it was something on my end but it has happened a few times (Could be the sensitivity of the yoke)
But i'm super happy that we made it over there (The INS actually worked and managed to change over the way points when passing through 9)

Thanks all for the help!

Archived